Sockets and Showers

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Recently been looking at new caravans at different dealerships and noticed in the bathroom of a particular model an extending shower tap on the sink to use as a shower. In the ceiling about a metre above this there is a 240V outlet socket. Is this safe and legal?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mile, this sounds like a recipe for disaster. Certainly in the domestic situation, at home, this would be highly illegal.

Undrer the current IEE regs it is illegal to have a mains outlet anywhere in a bathroom, apart from a Shaver socket above the mirror, which MUST be sited more than arms length from any other taps, pipes etc.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
yes. mike because the van power comes from a residual current detector which will isolate in nano seconds if an earth leakage is present,if you check out the hotel bathrooms in europe you will often find socket outlets right next to the sink!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mike, I am not sure that it is legal or not. The Electricians guide to 16th edition of the IEE Wiring regulations section 7.9 is specific for caravans ( dosn't differentiate between tourers or static)and it referes to another section titled Shower Basins. It says' the caravan shower room should be treated the same as a shower enclosure within a domestic bedroom' i.e. no mains power within the enclosure (they say outside the enclosure distance 2.5m for a socket and 0.6m for a light switch)

I doubt that if the caravan has a NCC certificate and electrical test certificate that it is actually illegal but I suggest you clarify it with the NCC and manufacturer.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Why don't you name the make and model of this new caravan.Then maybe the prats who came up with this very dangerous arrangement will take notice and corrective action.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Can not see much difference to standing outside the van in rain, in wet grass and then using the standard 13amp mains socket supplied by most Manufacturers on the outside of the van, even if it is shielded.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts