Static Caravanning

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure given the number of listings these companies have some customers will have good and/or bad experiences.

We've only used Booking.com once and we were unlucky. To be fair most of the problem was due to the owners listing. They had several apartments in the block and the listing just had photos and details of the best bits of each. We got the short straw. Shortly after we gave a bad review the listing was removed from Booking.com. we also saw the same listing on another site that also withdrew it later on

However Booking.com must share some of the fault since they should have verified the listing.

User reviews have to be taken with caution since expectations clearly differ.
I’m sure that on all of such sites including AirB&NB there will be a small proportion that don’t meet the advertised listing. We’ve used Bookings.com, AirBNB, Expedia and a number of other ones but have been satisfied with what we found apart from one static in north Devon but that was via the local tourist board.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
I usually find statics on sites such as ukcaravans4hire.com or directholidayhomes.com. Sometimes I've booked direct with sites. The aforementioned websites feature single caravans on private land which is brilliant. You can have a large area of a small holding all to yourself. This one is on a site, but it's a very quiet site with mostly private owners and seasonal touring pitches. Only slight disadvantage with renting direct from an owner is that any issues with the caravan, you need to get in touch with the owner, the site staff can't help unless there is some kind of specific agreement in place. I had an issue with the boiler today, it was locking out with a fault code. But I called the owner and she had someone local come out and sort it. Left the key in the key safe, came back and all fixed.

It really has been lovely down here. Weather today has been glorious. Torrential rain at about 6pm, but generally the weather hasn't been as bad as made out by the forecasts. You just have to go out prepared! Went down to Dale, really lovely little coastal village. Been coming to Pembrokeshire for donkeys and never though of going there. Many a holiday in Pembrokeshire as a child. Probably not proper "Welsh Wales" if you asked someone further North, but it will always have a special place in my heart. And it's better than Cornwall, but don't tell too many people!

Reactions: otherclive
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I usually find statics on sites such as ukcaravans4hire.com or directholidayhomes.com. Sometimes I've booked direct with sites. The aforementioned websites feature single caravans on private land which is brilliant. You can have a large area of a small holding all to yourself. This one is on a site, but it's a very quiet site with mostly private owners and seasonal touring pitches. Only slight disadvantage with renting direct from an owner is that any issues with the caravan, you need to get in touch with the owner, the site staff can't help unless there is some kind of specific agreement in place. I had an issue with the boiler today, it was locking out with a fault code. But I called the owner and she had someone local come out and sort it. Left the key in the key safe, came back and all fixed.

It really has been lovely down here. Weather today has been glorious. Torrential rain at about 6pm, but generally the weather hasn't been as bad as made out by the forecasts. You just have to go out prepared! Went down to Dale, really lovely little coastal village. Been coming to Pembrokeshire for donkeys and never though of going there. Many a holiday in Pembrokeshire as a child. Probably not proper "Welsh Wales" if you asked someone further North, but it will always have a special place in my heart. And it's better than Cornwall, but don't tell too many people!
I also love Wales nice scenery we love Lake Bala & black rock Sands but like to go to South more .and hope you having a great time

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Been looking at a cottage on Airbnb and might be booking it but the bit where you have to Reserve what the initial payment to secure the booking ?

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I think your reserve is a request to book and once accepted you then pay per the listing. This varies according to the owner but often in two parts and some will allow full refund ip to a certain date, advice is to read the details before reservation,

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
We booked a cottage a couple of weeks ago through AirBnB. There was an option to pay in full or just a deposit with balance I think a week or so before - we went for this option. Full refund if canceled - again I think - at least a week before.

Not all listings will give refunds due to cancellation.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We booked a cottage a couple of weeks ago through AirBnB. There was an option to pay in full or just a deposit with balance I think a week or so before - we went for this option. Full refund if canceled - again I think - at least a week before.

Not all listings will give refunds due to cancellation.
Hi Sam thanks for the information might do the same option (y)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As said it varies from place to place. You will only know the amount for the deposit once you make the booking and at that point you can still opt out.
No that's not right, You can (and should) always ask the vendor what deposit is needed and whether its refundable or not before you make the booking.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
No that's not right, You can (and should) always ask the vendor what deposit is needed and whether its refundable or not before you make the booking.
Why isn't it right? We have booked and used AirBnB on previous occasions with no issues with paying deposits upfront or the whole stay upfront. If one reads the T&Cs and understands them then there is no need to ask vendor as it is as clear as daylight.
The booking is only confirmed once you have paid a deposit and right up to the point of them requesting payment, you can back out as no one is forcing you to pay a deposit.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Remember that there are many organisations handling accomodation and also private vendors. So its not just AirBnB. T&Cs of course should always be read regardless of where you book.

It's also not always the case that you can back out without loss of some payment. I speak from personal experience of AirBnb where we had to cancel a booking on medical grounds.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Remember that there are many organisations handling accomodation and also private vendors. So its not just AirBnB. T&Cs of course should always be read regardless of where you book.

It's also not always the case that you can back out without loss of some payment. I speak from personal experience of AirBnb where we had to cancel a booking on medical grounds.

Many people do not read the T&Cs and then complain afterwards. However when a person books, they have every intention of using the booking. If they were unsure they had the option not to go ahead with the booking by not paying the deposit.

Generally if you cancel with a decent notice period, a person should get a full refund. If one cancels a few days before the commencement of the booking they would then you lose their deposit which is only fair as the booking could have been re-let to someone else. After all the same applies to many caravan campsites.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts