Storage Costs (Newbie seeking guidance!)

Oct 22, 2018
Visit site
Good Afternoon, Have tried searching the forum but any reference to costs for storage appear to be a bit dated. I am weighing up options for storing my new van when she arrives and wondering if there is any standards as far as costs are concerned. Have 2 current options the first being on a friends land which isnt secure and is quite tight for space but mates rates of £30 per month. One is a larger site on a farm with some but not perfect security at £12 per week. Both are outdoor. Any help appreciated.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
grumpy2447 said:
Good Afternoon, Have tried searching the forum but any reference to costs for storage appear to be a bit dated. I am weighing up options for storing my new van when she arrives and wondering if there is any standards as far as costs are concerned. Have 2 current options the first being on a friends land which isnt secure and is quite tight for space but mates rates of £30 per month. One is a larger site on a farm with some but not perfect security at £12 per week. Both are outdoor. Any help appreciated.

As we are moving home shortly we have decided to put the van in storage. It’s a Cassoa Gold site with 24 hour access on hard standing. There’s also a van washing area with high level side platforms. Annual charge is £420 pa.

Some Club sites or Forest Holiday sites provide storage.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
I currently store at home but looked into storage costs last March. At the time a local CASSOA Gold storage site was quoting £410 for the year, paid up front plus an additional £85 for access tags and position markers, but this was refunded at the termination of storage.

Edit: this was an outdoor storage yard.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I think we are getting a bargain as ours is on a CASSOA gold site storage area high fences security cameras all around , you have to drive up his drive to access the caravan yard or you can't get in otherwise and we only pay £24o a year for a 2o minute drive from ours . :)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
I currently store at home but looked into storage costs last March. At the time a local CASSOA Gold storage site was quoting £410 for the year, paid up front plus an additional £85 for access tags and position markers, but this was refunded at the termination of storage.

Edit: this was an outdoor storage yard.

My two entry fobs are £10 deposit refundable on end of contract. But I supply the pitch marker plate with the tow cars number.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
I think we are getting a bargain as ours is on a CASSOA gold site storage area high fences security cameras all around , you have to drive up his drive to access the caravan yard or you can't get in otherwise and we only pay £24o a year for a 2o minute drive from ours . :)
Good price that one.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Looking up your previous posts you have ordered an Adria Adora, which as it was ordered at a show, I take it is new. From the point of view of security the caravan being new is more attractive to thieves than an old one, although Adria should not be a target model for them but new ones are more desirable than old ones.
Given the age and value, I would suggest a CASSOA gold site if you can find one near you, but certainly a site with good security. Costs vary according to location and security levels but for most areas about £400 looks about right, which makes £360 for an insecure site very expensive and £12 per week more like London costs. The mates rates look like nothing of the sort.
I would check the CASSOA web site to see what if anything is near you and try them first. If you cannot get on one Google caravan storage and see what you can find.;

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Clive thanks ;
Pitch markers key fobs entry fobs nothing like that , got our pitch number & thats it and ours is an outside storage facility as well but it kind of wacked down dolomite hard stone surface but spot-on for driving over no potholes , it's great and I can access it between 8 and 8 any day except Christmas Day Boxing Day I think and New Year's Day .

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Grumpy , 1o minutes from you but unsure on prices https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=caravan+storage+holmfirth&oq=caravan+storage+holm&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l3.15954j0j4&client=ms-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#istate=lrl:iv&lkt=LocalPoiReviews&rlimm=8360906646952600610&viewerState=ga

Or https://j-p-a-coates.business.site/

1st place looks good .

Oct 22, 2018
Visit site
Thanks all. Craig the £12 a week cost is the Coates site. Treble 9 has some poor reviews and the one Cassoa site in the area isnt responding to emails or calls. The good thing with Coates site is that although expensive it will serve my needs until I find an ideal site (Ranah Stones ideal but full) and I can leave with no notice but get a full refund on any payments already made (Only pay 1 month in advance).

Glad I checked as current option does appear very expensive.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Grumpy

I thought that was my name :angry: Anyway a bit of a reality check:-

As you will have seen from the replies, and no doubt from your own research, there is no formal structure for storage charges, basically a storage yard owner can charge what they like.

When it comes to what is offered in exchange for you hard earned money, its space to park your pride an joy. And that it. Don't expect security to mean your caravan is any safer in a enclosure unless the owner has guards patrolling 24/7 but the chances are they'd told to run a mile if confronted by thieves anyway.

If you do suffer any kind of loss the site will wash their hands of all responsibility, unless you can PROVE they have been negligent.

Sites with a Cassoa rating are supposed to meet a Cassoa's code of standards, but frankly it does't offer any guarantees. Some insurers offer a policy discount if you use a Cassoa site, but the discount doesn't cover the generally higher cost of the site.

Just in case the site you do use does claim to offer security, insist on having written statement on exactly how secure and what liability they will accept if their security is breeched.

I hope you can read between the lines....

And before anyone say's I must have have a chip on my shoulder, I do not . I've never lost a caravan form storage site, and I have no personal dispute with any site operator. I have no connection with a storage site, I just hate to see good people being exploited. and being duped into believing that Cassoa sites must be better.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Whilst we store our caravan on the drive along with the cars I’ve arranged to store it on a local Cassoa gold site while we are in the process of moving home. It gets it out of the way. Our previous vans were stored but to be honest even retired I do find it a pain having to remove battery and gas for safe keeping at home then having to fetch and return the caravan. Our new place has space for the van but need to test the water with neighbours, as it’s MH-ville :woohoo: And the jury has yet to return their verdict on whether the caravan is being retained.

Regarding security a while back a caravan was stolen from a Cassoa site nearby. The thieves drove their pick up along an overgrown farm track that was separated from the site by a field. They cut the chain link fence and took the caravan out across the field. They were caught by Thames Valley police when they were involved in a road traffic accident. The field is now retained in a rough ploughed state as added security.

Oct 22, 2018
Visit site
Thanks everyone for advice and tips. Let down by dealer so not takingthe Adria anymore. Have gone for a new Lunar Quasar. Regarding storage I have managed to get lodgings at a Cassoa gold site for 42 per month.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
:eek:hmy: daylight robbery ! Thats more than 2 years storage fees worth to me , loooook about .... :blink:

I think it’s all about where you live and supply and demand. My site stores over 500 vans and has four vacant pitches. A new one opened recently at an Eldiss dealership near Westbury and that is now full with another 500 approx units too. Modern housing developments don’t have much room for parking cars let alone vans, motor homes, camp trailers or boats. So many families don’t have a choice if they want to enjoy their hobby.

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Although this doesn't add anything to the original question, i'll just say that i had so many issues on Cassao gold sites with petty theft, that mine will be living on the drive.

Certainly 'Gold' status doesn't offer any more protection from casual theft by other clientele, than leaving in a farmers field.

Here's what was borrowed off various caravans of mine

2 x hitch covers
4 x Truma Ultrastore covers (not even painting bright red was enough to discourage them, although i did recover that one from another caravan on the site :rolleyes:)
2 x sets of fridge winter vents
1 x upper rear marker light lens
1 x set of stick on wheel arch draught skirt studs

Oh, and a wheel nut (so probably the most serious theft in terms on consequences had i not spotted when removing the Al-ko lock)

All these items were on the caravan when dropped off, not lost en route!

That was spread over 2 local 'Gold' sites

Reactions: ProfJohnL
May 7, 2012
Visit site
It sounds bad. We have used two different storage sites over the last12 years and lost nothing. I left the front locker lid open on one occasion and someone told the warden who rang me to let me know, so there honest people out there.
There is a risk there but there are also risks from using your drive, you just have to use what suits you best.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We pay just over £400 for excellent security. I have checked some alternatives but that is about the norm here. It does vary dramatically according to security and location.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We pay just over £400 for excellent security. I have checked some alternatives but that is about the norm here. It does vary dramatically according to security and location.
+1

I pay £420 per year again about par for the course in this area. Site provides a caravan wash area where there are high level walkways either side. Also a AWS workshop with mobile technicians too.

Reactions: Beachball
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We pay £440 a year for under cover and locked security. Wash facilitys. Paid every 6 months. Only increased, two years ago after 10 years.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts