swift charisma

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
Hi ...can anyone help, the front gas hob won't stay lit. we've had this problem since purchasing our van from Glossop Caravans...in January 2013...we've had it repaired twice now. we've been out first time this weekend and it failed to light once again. It's a Thetford Cooker. I'm going to get in touch with Thetford & also Glossop's too. but could anyone explained what the problem could be? I'd be grateful for some help.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
How do you expect anyone to give you a sensible answer to such a post lacking in any detail.You describe what doesn't happen but nothing else.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
bertieboy1 said:
How do you expect anyone to give you a sensible answer to such a post lacking in any detail.You describe what doesn't happen but nothing else.

now come Bertie, don't be so harsh, as it's easter sunday the poster is probably sat in the van in the middle of nowhere trying to make the stove work!!!!.
and even if they are not at least we should all be civil, want a sensible answer, here is one.
Michelle, you say the the front gas hob will not stay lit, so I presume it does light and then goes out when you release the knob after lighting. assuming (it should be this type) that you actually have turned the knob to max and pressed it in to light it, here is a couple of things to try.
1. there could be an air lock in the gas that has to be forced through before the burner will work, so try turning the knob to max push the knob in and light the hob manually (without igniter) keep the knob pushed in see if the hob stays lit !!
if it does not and goes out with a pufft or burns fierce yellow there is air present. keep the knob pushed in and continually relight for 10 to 30 sec. it should then burn normally with a blue flame, when this happens release the knob with it still on max.
2. two things will then happen either the hob will stay lit (problem solved) or it will go out!!
3. if it goes out you will know that there is a fault with the burner this is either (most likely) the thermocouple to that ring has failed " this is a small brass projection fitted close to the burner ring" or the cut off switch fitted to to lid has failed.
"this is fitted to extinguish the burners in the event of the lid being closed while the hob is lit.
either way a fault must be rectified by a gas engineer and as you have had the van returned before for the same fault I would suggest you return it again making sure that the workshop shows you "how" to light it by demostrating the procedure and in so doing that it actually works after repair.
hope this helps,
ps, dont be put off posting or replying to any thread because of the odd terse remark we all have bad days you know.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts