Thetford fridge not working on gas

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Good luck with "The Wiggle method" lets hope it works.. and the flying display at Fairford should be good, last flying display for me was when I retired, 1 .5 hours left seat in my S92 Helicopter. 8 years ago.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
I’ve bypassed the switch so no wiggling required! Just means to turn it off I’ve got to shut off gas supply either at the cylinder or isolation valve under the cooker.

Good luck with "The Wiggle method" lets hope it works.. and the flying display at Fairford should be good, last flying display for me was when I retired, 1 .5 hours left seat in my S92 Helicopter. 8 years ago.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Good news Chris 👏. In the interim spray liberally the switch internals best you can with Electrical Contact Spray. We live six miles from Fairford.
Glad you have solved it. If all else fails though, pop round to DD’s and keep your beer there. Make him promise not to drink it though.
Mel

• Haha
Reactions: Dustydog and Hutch
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I can understand your frustration with the intermittent operation of fridge, and why its been important to try and find out what has been causing it. Assuming you have found the problem, you report a "selector switch" seems to be the culprit. Now I'm not clear on what you are referring to, and the other part of your comment where you say you have bypassed it, and if you need to turn the appliance off, you will need to use a remote isolator valve.

This sounds as though you may have bypassed the fridge's gas control valve and in doing so you will have removed a very important safety feature - the Flame Failure Device or FFD.

If I'm correct, it means the gas will flow to the fridges burner as long as the remote isolator valve is turned on. Crucially if the flame should go out for any reason, the gas flow will not automatically stop - you have an uncontrolled gas leak.

DO NOT USE THE FRIDGE IN ANY WAY.

That is not only highly dangerous from a safety perspective, it is a criminal offence.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
I can understand your frustration with the intermittent operation of fridge, and why its been important to try and find out what has been causing it. Assuming you have found the problem, you report a "selector switch" seems to be the culprit. Now I'm not clear on what you are referring to, and the other part of your comment where you say you have bypassed it, and if you need to turn the appliance off, you will need to use a remote isolator valve.

This sounds as though you may have bypassed the fridge's gas control valve and in doing so you will have removed a very important safety feature - the Flame Failure Device or FFD.

If I'm correct, it means the gas will flow to the fridges burner as long as the remote isolator valve is turned on. Crucially if the flame should go out for any reason, the gas flow will not automatically stop - you have an uncontrolled gas leak.

DO NOT USE THE FRIDGE IN ANY WAY.

That is not only highly dangerous from a safety perspective, it is a criminal offence.

calm down John, you have misunderstood. The thermocouple operates correctly. Turn the gas off and the flame goes out, valve shuts. Turn the gas back on and no gas is flowing. What I have done is no different to having the switch on the gas setting.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
calm down John, you have misunderstood. The thermocouple operates correctly. Turn the gas off and the flame goes out, valve shuts. Turn the gas back on and no gas is flowing. What I have done is no different to having the switch on the gas setting.
Thank you for the clarification, As a now retired gas engineer and having had to deal with gas systems where people had been injured (in one case nearly killed) by ill informed tampering, I know how important these things are. Many people are often surprised to learn that it is actually a criminal offence, and can result in custodial sentences to interfere with any of gas appliance's control or safety related parts.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
Thank you for the clarification, As a now retired gas engineer and having had to deal with gas systems where people had been injured (in one case nearly killed) by ill informed tampering, I know how important these things are. Many people are often surprised to learn that it is actually a criminal offence, and can result in custodial sentences to interfere with any of gas appliance's control or safety related parts.
I appreciate your concern. I imagine you’ve seen it all to use a cliche. I know my limits when it comes to gas and would certainly never bypass a safety device. I will be replacing the selector switch myself as I know it’s well within my capabilities, but won’t be mucking around with the valve it’s self if that turns out to be suspect. I’m pretty sure the issue is the switch. It’s apparently a common issue and you quite clearly hear the clunk of the solenoid disengaging when you wiggle the switch about.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
I realise this thread has rattled on for a while, in a good way. Lots of helpful advice as ever on here. I just thought I would bring it to it’s conclusion. I installed a new switch today and all appears to be well. I just took each connector off the original individually and plugged into it’s corresponding position on the new one. I suspected I would end up butchering the original knob to get it off (which I did), so ordered one with the switch . It’s the only one Jackson’s Leisure seem to have but the alignment is wrong. I think it’s meant for the gas valve. Just means that it doesn’t point at the correct symbols around the edge. Not a big deal as I can just count the clicks as I turn it.
Hopefully no more troubles now. Lights and stays lit every time.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Glad thats working, now you need to know if the fridge light goes out when you shut the door. ???
Don't worry about a thread carrying on, at times thats how folk find out stuff.

Reactions: Dustydog and RogerL

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts