To balance wheels or Not...

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
On the new van would you recommend balancing the wheels? And should I fit shock absorbers? Is this as easy on the Elddis chassis?

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Sorry I did not realise that this subject has been covered recently in another post. Only question is whether the same shocks will fit both Alko and BPW chassis. I see from the BPW website that they show shocks fitted on their maintenace diagrams.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
For whatever reason the caravan manufacturers do not consider either balancing or the fitting of dampers a high enough priority to provide them as standard.

In my view that is an oversight as numerous correspondents have testified that out of balance wheels do add vibration to the caravan body with varying consequences. There are also plenty of reports where caravanners have fitted dampers and have found marked improvements in the handling of the caravan.

Wheel balancing can be done by any high street tyre fitter but I suggest you contact your caravan supplier who will be able to tell you exactly which dampers will fit your caravan. In many cases its a relatively easy DIY job to fit them, but if you have any doubts almost any good car mechanic or caravan dealer should be able to do it.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Our Bailey caravan came with shock absorbers fitted as standard.But the wheels aren't balanced - and it doesn't seem to be a problem.
I would recommend fitting shock absorbers,there is an appreciable difference when towing - it's much smoother.Without shock absorbers the tyres absorb the stresses of the bumps etc.from our badly repaired/surfaced roads.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
If you've ever driven an older car WITHOUT power steering and unbalanced wheels then you will certainly go and have your wheels balanced very quickly. Also, have you seen how the wheel balance machine in Kwik Fit / ATS / etc vibrates before adding wheel balance weights? Don't give shock absorbers unnecessary extra work to do.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
bertieboy1 said:
Our Bailey caravan came with shock absorbers fitted as standard.But the wheels aren't balanced - and it doesn't seem to be a problem.
I would recommend fitting shock absorbers,there is an appreciable difference when towing - it's much smoother.Without shock absorbers the tyres absorb the stresses of the bumps etc.from our badly repaired/surfaced roads.
You would never feel the caravan wheel vibration through the car and you wouldn't feel any difference towing, but the wheel would be vibrating on the axle.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Grahamh said:
On the new van would you recommend balancing the wheels? And should I fit shock absorbers? Is this as easy on the Elddis chassis?

I thought a Eldiss already had balanced wheels?

Anyway I had my latest caravan wheels balanced, and I also emailed Bailey that I found it totally unacceptable for wheels not to be balanced, as mine needed 130 gram on one wheel, and 135g on the other you can see why.

IMO this being my first caravan with standard shocks, I would highly recommend them, you get less pitching and bouncing on the caravan, well worth fitting.

You may not see any direct benefit with the wheel balancing, but its got to be kind to wheel bearings, and the caravans interior fittings.

Its a shame PC don't do some caravan interior tests to establish some facts, I'd ask the CC club but they can't even bother to test my Mazda CX-5, even though I've asked them, in fact they say there is need test on the horizon, needless to say PC have done a test and video.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Xtrail,
Your reference to the CC and your CX-5 seems to lack the context needed to understand your point. could you try again please.

And what facts do you want about the interiors? What sort of testing would help you?

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
The interior tests would be testing for vibration levels and consequent damage, or not, resulting from unbalanced wheels.

My reference to the CC was referring to there lack of determination to even test the CX-5

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts