To book or not to book??

Page 9 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Not booking anywhere at the moment, not that I dont want to it's all down to work commitments at the moment, but one thing is for sure I
will be staying in my van this year, just bought a new battery, so even if I set the awning up on the front lawn with the van on the drive I will use it!!!
Hi Kev just take each day as it comes that all any us can do

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
You seem to be running a one man crusade to rescue UK caravan sites with your number of bookings. I hope that they all come to fruition and the weather is kind to you. 👍
We are away for 14 nights in June first stay in south wales next one mid wales and finally stopping in Derbyshire then it home

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Apart from two weeks in May I’ve cancelled all other bookings. It stems from HMG recent announcement as my wider family had booked a very large chalet in Forest of Dean fir early June but it fell before the 21 June “ freedom day”. That meant only two households could mix but five were booked. To move it into August was £1000 more.
Then last years cancelled Loch side holiday to the Highlands for the “ ladies” has been resurrected for August. So in a changing dynamic I decided to withdraw my stakes out of the ground until clarity prevails.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Apart from two weeks in May I’ve cancelled all other bookings. It stems from HMG recent announcement as my wider family had booked a very large chalet in Forest of Dean fir early June but it fell before the 21 June “ freedom day”. That meant only two households could mix but five were booked. To move it into August was £1000 more.
Then last years cancelled Loch side holiday to the Highlands for the “ ladies” has been resurrected for August. So in a changing dynamic I decided to withdraw my stakes out of the ground until clarity prevails.
Hi otherclive i hope the two weeks goes well and you enjoy your holiday with family .

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have bookings for August but are waiting to see what the government actually do before booking anything earlier. All dates have lots of ifs and buts attached to these, so we will wait.

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I quickly got in some dates from April onwards on various CC sites.

However

The bracket holding the Catalyst to my car has rusted off. Going to be at least £1000 to sort, on a car I was planning on changing this year anyway.
So can't tow anything till I replace the car - and I'm one of those people who won't buy a new car without looking at some first, which means I have to wait for the dealers to reopen.

Whole thing is a conspiracy against me !

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I quickly got in some dates from April onwards on various CC sites.

However

The bracket holding the Catalyst to my car has rusted off. Going to be at least £1000 to sort, on a car I was planning on changing this year anyway.
So can't tow anything till I replace the car - and I'm one of those people who won't buy a new car without looking at some first, which means I have to wait for the dealers to reopen.

Whole thing is a conspiracy against me !
Well the car dealers near me are open i was there the other day my key fob needed a new battery it was done in 15 mins to each its own

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Well the car dealers near me are open i was there the other day my key fob needed a new battery it was done in 15 mins to each its own

Round here they are open for servicing / parts, but not sales. So I shall have to wait a bit longer before sending my car to part exchange city - and it'll take me a week or so to decide on a replacement.

I won't let myself get burned like the time I bought a new 3008, without satisfying myself it was a good car first !

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We have bookings for August but are waiting to see what the government actually do before booking anything earlier. All dates have lots of ifs and buts attached to these, so we will wait.
You may find sites all booked up if you wait - I booked our full year's touring back in October/November last year - we just cancel if sites aren't open.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
You may find sites all booked up if you wait - I booked our full year's touring back in October/November last year - we just cancel if sites aren't open.
Hi RogerL l am in agreement with you if you wait they will be booked up some of ours were booked from April last year .

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi RogerL l am in agreement with you if you wait they will be booked up some of ours were booked from April last year .
I cannot see all sites being fully booked all the time, people still have to work, the retired folk like myself can go away midweek, as we normally do, Away on a Sunday home on a Friday, weekend at home, wifey throws the dirty washing in the machine, I restock the food and drinks away again on the Sunday to somewhere else.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I cannot see all sites being fully booked all the time, people still have to work, the retired folk like myself can go away midweek, as we normally do, Away on a Sunday home on a Friday, weekend at home, wifey throws the dirty washing in the machine, I restock the food and drinks away again on the Sunday to somewhere else.
Hi Hutch check one tonight and they said fully booked, tried another one manage to get a booking but less nights to each its own

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Round here they are open for servicing / parts, but not sales. So I shall have to wait a bit longer before sending my car to part exchange city - and it'll take me a week or so to decide on a replacement.

I won't let myself get burned like the time I bought a new 3008, without satisfying myself it was a good car first !
When they do open up near to you l would take it for a test drive and then you will know if it for you to each its own

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Tonight, I decided to check on a few sites, to see how full they are. And over a check from North Yorkshire, Anglia, and Dorset there is a lot of availability from May onwards, so the big panic is false.
Here is just one site. National Trust have lots of availability as well.
Screenshot_2021-03-06-20-27-39.png

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Tonight, I decided to check on a few sites, to see how full they are. And over a check from North Yorkshire, Anglia, and Dorset there is a lot of availability from May onwards, so the big panic is false.
Here is just one site. National Trust have lots of availability as well.
View attachment 1255
Hi Hutch like i said you book your sites when you want but me been disabled i need a hardstanding service pitch near the toilet block and they do go quick.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Never knew the National Trust had sites. The only NT property we have stayed on is Tredegar House but the CAMH had this before the NT took over the house. Many of their properties have plenty of room and they could easily expand the numbers and get some more income. I would assume both clubs would be interested if they offered suitable locations.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Never knew the National Trust had sites. The only NT property we have stayed on is Tredegar House but the CAMH had this before the NT took over the house. Many of their properties have plenty of room and they could easily expand the numbers and get some more income. I would assume both clubs would be interested if they offered suitable locations.
The NT, one we like to use Houghton Mill, near to Huntingdon, was an ex CC site, very good standard, but no hard standings, just grass. With Electric.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts