To book or not to book??

Page 7 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Agree completely in theory, however, we will not be booking just yet as we have never been very good a foreword planning. always leave arrangements nearly to the last minute. Even foreign bookings are around February.
John
I'm normally useless at forward planning.
The paradox has been that because of C19 I've found plenty of time to sit down and to book well in advance.
In better times I've been Mr Last Minute . Com

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When my wife finish with covid19 and once again back to her retirement we might book a holiday aboard somewhere warm but we would have to book it well in a advance the hotel must have lifts but passport first then we will see .
But at present i think that might be some time yet

Reactions: Jcloughie
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am concerned at some of the recent comments, There seems to be belief that once you have been vaccinated you'll be safe to go off caravanning.

Please please please understand the vaccine requires two injections takes at least a month to become effective.

But of at least equal importance is the time its going to take to vaccinate enough of the population to reduce the transmission routes for the virus it's going to take many months and various public comments over the last couple of days are suggesting this might be more than a year!

By all means have a half full outlook, but don't underestimate the scale of this challenge, and how its everybody's responsibility to prevent the spread or transmission of the virus.

Please take care.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We will not be going to Europe this year as just too many unknowns for us to worry about. Furthest trip could be South Wales to visit our daughter and family at Caerleon.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I am concerned at some of the recent comments, There seems to be belief that once you have been vaccinated you'll be safe to go off caravanning.

Please please please understand the vaccine requires two injections takes at least a month to become effective.

But of at least equal importance is the time its going to take to vaccinate enough of the population to reduce the transmission routes for the virus it's going to take many months and various public comments over the last couple of days are suggesting this might be more than a year!

By all means have a half full outlook, but don't underestimate the scale of this challenge, and how its everybody's responsibility to prevent the spread or transmission of the virus.

Please take care.
Once we have had our vaccinations we have every intention of starting our lives again in accordance with extant government guide lines at the time. I’ve yet to see any data that reports caravan sites as notable sources of infection. Rather the contrary I think given how responsible people were being on the sites we visited. Going out of season and noting government guidance will reduce risks. But it’s very clear that household mixing, hospitality, schools/colleges and people generally not sticking to guidance were key drivers. But don’t forget even hospitals have been sources of infection too.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Once we have had our vaccinations we have every intention of starting our lives again in accordance with extant government guide lines at the time. I’ve yet to see any data that reports caravan sites as notable sources of infection. Rather the contrary I think given how responsible people were being on the sites we visited. Going out of season and noting government guidance will reduce risks. But it’s very clear that household mixing, hospitality, schools/colleges and people generally not sticking to guidance were key drivers. But don’t forget even hospitals have been sources of infection too.
Hello Clive,

The main point which I was trying to press is that vaccines do not create instant immunity, so having the vaccine you should be waiting at least 4 weeks before assuming you have any practical immunity.

My post was not claiming there is any specific data that suggests caravanning was cites as a cause for transmissions, BUT there can be no doubt that moving between areas for any reason does raise the possibility of transmitting the virus (physically on clothes or equipment as well as symptomatic or asymptomatic). Caravanner's cannot assume or be considered as exempt from these possibilities.

I am just reminding everyone they should be considering how their actions might affect others.

It is beholden on everyone to proactively minimise the transmission of this virus.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site

Please take care.

Hello Clive,

The main point which I was trying to press is that vaccines do not create instant immunity, so having the vaccine you should be waiting at least 4 weeks before assuming you have any practical immunity.

My post was not claiming there is any specific data that suggests caravanning was cites as a cause for transmissions, BUT there can be no doubt that moving between areas for any reason does raise the possibility of transmitting the virus (physically on clothes or equipment as well as symptomatic or asymptomatic). Caravanner's cannot assume or be considered as exempt from these possibilities.

I am just reminding everyone they should be considering how their actions might affect others.

It is beholden on everyone to proactively minimise the transmission of this virus.
I'm not sure why you think that there's a belief that as soon as a vaccine has been administered we'll be safe to go off caravanning Prof?
We are all subject to government guidelines, and the medical professionals involved in treatment and vaccination will provide the necessary information to allow us to form a judgement on what's safe and what isn't.
I understand and accept that you have reason to be very worried about C19 and it's potential consequences, and from what I've seen the overwhelming majority of caravanners have obeyed government guidelines to stay at home as the NHS struggled to keep C19 under control as far as possible.
Despite my own glass half full attitude to which you alluded, I too have obeyed government guidelines and being from an area that is currently under Tier 3, I continue to do so.
When caravan sites re-opened earlier this year we went when we were permitted to go, and we maintained social distancing and cleanliness directives, as did other caravanners on reputable sites which also imposed their own rules to keep everyone safe.
We on this forum are not the caravan police, and we're not responsible for the actions of any individual or group of people.
Although I accept that your reasons for posting warnings about C19 are laudable, please refrain from acting as our conscience, we are all adults who will take the professional advice given to us and will act upon it.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
97.5% survival rate,95% effective vaccine.As a fit and healthy (as far as I know)45yr old who goes to work everyday working in tier 3, we've been locked down most of the year, what would you have me do, as I will be the last lot to get a vaccine,don't go anywhere for ever as they say it'll be a yearly injection? Feel free to stay at home and hide away but what's the point if there's no end in sight. Obviously I follow all guidelines etc...but come on.

Reactions: Hutch and Kevin M
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
97.5% survival rate,95% effective vaccine.As a fit and healthy (as far as I know)45yr old who goes to work everyday working in tier 3, we've been locked down most of the year, what would you have me do, as I will be the last lot to get a vaccine,don't go anywhere for ever as they say it'll be a yearly injection? Feel free to stay at home and hide away but what's the point if there's no end in sight. Obviously I follow all guidelines etc...but come on.

Take a leaf out out of the book of the past residents of Eyam. :)

Your initial wording seems to point to you dying to get out and party. But you also say you follow the guidelines. I, personally would not ask for anything different. What OC in #155 said seems about right to me.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Where am I going to go out and party? Pubs shut,I can't even call in for a brew at my mums. I'm simply saying you can't hide away until it's safe because it's never going to be safe? I'm all for opening things up and if you don't want to go out don't,but let the rest get on. I have friends and family who've lost all income and jobs this year due to restrictions,my own son has had covid,friends have had it and we've all had weeks off work,nobody I know has had anything more than a slight cold symptoms throughout,

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am afraid that opening everything up is simply not on although whether the current levels of lockdown and other restrictions are correct is largely guesswork What is undeniable though is that if we just open things up the problem will get a lot worse, the death rate will increase and our hospitals will be overwhelmed.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We are in Tier 3 so there not much chance of opening things up not yet . . My wife doing her bit helping with this Covid 19 virus (Nurse) at the hospital .and then my son has to keep a eye on me to see if i am alright .

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have still nothing booked for anywhere until August. Booked a tour of five sites as far South as South Wales and will consider something earlier once we see what is happening.
We did hear rumours about the sites being booked up, but when we checked all had bookings for any date in August, although some types of pitch were booked for some dates, this included two normally very popular sites.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Where we are going in June to South Wales they are fully booked they have had a lot for customers who should have come last season .that included us .

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We have two weeks , end June early July booked at Two Mills North Walsingham Norfolk. Hopefully C19 will be under control and the trip allowed. Our early March trip to my son in North Yorkshire looks bleak. Plus if my knee replacement happens then all caravanning is up in the air this year. You can’t win😥😥😥

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We are not going to bother booking until we know sites are opened up. Also with Mrs H, loosing her sister at Christmas our first priorities will be seeing family, then after that settling down again to a normal ish life.
Then it will be time to book this coming winters combined Covid and Flu jab.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We are not going to bother booking until we know sites are opened up. Also with Mrs H, loosing her sister at Christmas our first priorities will be seeing family, then after that settling down again to a normal ish life.
Hutch, we would be up for a Waterrow and Burrowhayes Porlock later in the year,. That Rock Inn was ace.

Reactions: Parksy and Hutch
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear of your loss.
My feeling is that once sites are open there will be a mad rush to book so you might have to be quick. We have booked with the CAMH, so if we cannot go we will not lose out on deposits.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
We booked for Polmanter at St Ives for early May, we can move this booking if restrictions aren't lifted.
In June we're booked for Castlerigg Hall in the Lake District, this booking was carried over from last years postponement.
July is Polmanter again, Herself has elderly relatives living in the area which is why we go there as often as we can.
August is usually a music festival which was cancelled last year so our booking is valid for this year.
It's very doubtful if the festival will take place this year.
September we're booked for East Fleet, Weymouth fingers crossed.
My strategy of booking early might seem optimistic to some, but hopefully at least some of our bookings will take place.
On site we socially isolate, staying away from crowds, bars etc. The sites that we've booked are all highly reputable with measures in place to ensure ours and others safety, and our vaccinations will all be done by then so we should be ok.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We booked for Polmanter at St Ives for early May, we can move this booking if restrictions aren't lifted.
In June we're booked for Castlerigg Hall in the Lake District, this booking was carried over from last years postponement.
July is Polmanter again, Herself has elderly relatives living in the area which is why we go there as often as we can.
August is usually a music festival which was cancelled last year so our booking is valid for this year.
It's very doubtful if the festival will take place this year.
September we're booked for East Fleet, Weymouth fingers crossed.
My strategy of booking early might seem optimistic to some, but hopefully at least some of our bookings will take place.
On site we socially isolate, staying away from crowds, bars etc. The sites that we've booked are all highly reputable with measures in place to ensure ours and others safety, and our vaccinations will all be done by then so we should be ok.

Parksy
I’d rather have good dose of optimism than pessimism any day. I don’t think our booking for Brecon towards the end of March will go ahead, but hopefully our main holiday for Yorkshire in early May does go ahead. Our post lockdown trips last year were all fine as the sites were very well set up, and people, even families with children, were being sensible. So this year even after having the vaccination we will still err on the side of caution. But I do so yearn for a nice pub lunch with some real ale.

Reactions: Beehpee and Parksy
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I’ve just booked for the Easter weekend at Tudor Park at slimbridge, we have 3 cancelled bookings at 3 sites to rebook so fingers crossed this one will go ahead, I’m soaking up as much optimism that I come across, so keep all the good vibes coming my way.

BP

Reactions: Parksy

TRENDING THREADS