Touring into the unknown

Sep 15, 2005
Visit site
bought a van at the end of last year (avondale landranger)and looking forward to next year for touring with family.

Now question! i am in the north east and happy with places to not take the van (ie steep hills etc) but is there such a book (atlas) out there that covers other areas around the UK to not take a caravan (expecially a 8m one)?

the thought of coming off of a motorway and then onto a loveley country 'b' road is a bit of a dawnt!!

cheers for now

tony

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tony.

I have seen such a book, aimed at H.G.V. drivers, on sale at motorway garages. Some unsuitable routes do have warning signs such as Sutton Bank between Thirsk and Scarborough. Tried the suggested alternative route which was slow and, in places, narrow so returned via York then up the A19 to Teesside. Almost twenty miles longer but easier on the driver. The alternative suggested by web sites like Multimap and the A.A. went over the moors via Guisborough and Whitby. Do-able but far slower with a 'van. When plotting journeys I try to use motorways, then A roads, finally minor roads. Go to a bargain type book shop and get a large scale road atlas - last years edition ( cheaper ) will do since, with the rate of new road building in some areas, maps can be out of date before they get into the shops. I find plotting a route is half the fun.

Mike E

Sep 15, 2005
Visit site
Tony.

I have seen such a book, aimed at H.G.V. drivers, on sale at motorway garages. Some unsuitable routes do have warning signs such as Sutton Bank between Thirsk and Scarborough. Tried the suggested alternative route which was slow and, in places, narrow so returned via York then up the A19 to Teesside. Almost twenty miles longer but easier on the driver. The alternative suggested by web sites like Multimap and the A.A. went over the moors via Guisborough and Whitby. Do-able but far slower with a 'van. When plotting journeys I try to use motorways, then A roads, finally minor roads. Go to a bargain type book shop and get a large scale road atlas - last years edition ( cheaper ) will do since, with the rate of new road building in some areas, maps can be out of date before they get into the shops. I find plotting a route is half the fun.

Mike E
Thanks Mike

I will look at all these things. Was aware of Sutton bank and would assume that there are other 'sutton banks' around the country and would hope they have similar warnings!!!

cheers again

Anybody else come across such places in UK then please let me know

Tony

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tony

I've mainly come on to offer some encouragement.

We have a Landranger 5900L (97) We have had this for 4 years now and towed extensively in the UK, Ireland Brittany and in summer 2003 for 2.5+K miles through Holland, France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Belguim. This is our second van and considerably larger than our previous one. We do, however, enjoy the extra living space and have managed to get into all the sites we've wanted to. When things get tight one of us drives while the other(s) hop-out and watch the blind spots.

We tow with a Vauxhall Monterey (re-badged Isuzu Trooper) 4x4 and with this combination we've managed all the hills, etc. We have encountered some pretty narrow roads particularly single track ones on the Kintyre Peninsula in Scotland and Lleyn Peninsula in Wales almost without mishap. The only scrape, literally, was when I caught front offside of the van on a high kerb in a Brittany petrol station - a lond day's driving and a misunderstanding of my son's directions are my excuses??!

Sutton Bank is the only place where I have actually encountered a ban on caravans. I usually check the large scale road map carefully and, also, ask the destination caravan site for advice if I'm unsure. If there's a caravan site at the end of the road it's do-able with care. I find other road users are courteous and considerate when we meet in tight spots.

There are some warning about unsuitable roads in the Caravan Club Handbook if you're a member. Both Caravan and Camping and Caravan Clubs give recommended routes to their sites in their respective books.

A word of caution on another level - we've had aquite few problems with damp on our 'van so I'd advise regular damp checks. I've, also, gained quite a bit of knowledge of carrying out minor repairs on the Landranger and I'd be glad to advise if you need any help on that front.

Happy Landranging

Regards Tim

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Tim

I have a 2003 Landranger and would be interested to know what problems you have had with damp and what to look out for, are all Landrangers susceptible?. Maybe you could reply on the Technical forum so as not to go off track with this one.

Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tim

I have a 2003 Landranger and would be interested to know what problems you have had with damp and what to look out for, are all Landrangers susceptible?. Maybe you could reply on the Technical forum so as not to go off track with this one.

Thanks
I use the SAT-NAV installed in the car, together with Microsoft Autoroute. which I have installed on my laptop. together with the CC site directions have been fairly satisfied with my tugging.

When I used to caravan in Europe I found that the Michelin maps excellent giving directions to avoid hazardous roads etc.

I find that the SAT-NAV is very good getting you from A to B but it is worthwhile crosschecking with another map as the system cannot tell whether you are towing or not IMHO

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts