Tow ball covers

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
Been 'vanning now for 8 months and just ordered my fourth tow ball cover. I lost the original which came with my towbar on my first trip! Today I towed someone who was broken down in a precarious position. Stupidly, I thought it would be alright to leave the cap on. Nope. It was missing when we stopped again. And my tow rope is knackered due to the wally towee panic braking. No good deed goes unpunished eh? I noticed the tow ball cap on Amazon was available on standing order on Amazon. I was temped! You'd think there would be one which just hangs from the tow bar when not in use. Maybe there is and I haven't found it.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Tennis balls are the traditional way. But I just looked, you could buy 5 for the price of one ball. I like the Alko one. But it can still get lost.

1666566828094.jpeg

You could make a small hole in the rim and loop a cable tie through. The tie would keep it by the ball.

John

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I searched ‘tow ball covers’ on Amazon and found 4 caps with retaining rings for £8.99, perhaps this with solve your issue.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If you got yourself a Springer Spaniel you would have an endless supply of tennis balls, and other “balls various” found when out in the woods.

EC0036E9-E5D3-49E7-A842-079CCC1BC615.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Clydesider
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
That's the sort that come off. The Al-Ko ones need to be (in effect) stretched to get them on and off and they are a close fit to the bal.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have had the same one for five years. It is similar to the Halfords one shown but has the tow bar fitters name and number on it. We have only ever lost one in nearly fourty years of touring so I think I would put the loss of two down to bad luck and go with the Halfords one, at the price you do not have to worry about losing it.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
My lowball still goes rusty whatever type of cover I use. Very annoying!
I have a " rubbery," cover, that came with my Santa Fe. The towball its self stays nice and clean. A genuine Alko bolted tow ball, maybe quality of the metal.

Last edited:
Reactions: PTA
Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
I towed someone who was broken down in a precarious position. Stupidly, I thought it would be alright to leave the cap on. Nope. It was missing when we stopped again
I did a similar thing when towing my MG. Lost a brilliant Thule towball cover. That one really had a positive click when it was pushed on.
Lost another when some kids decided to nick it for some reason.

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
I have the cover that came with the towbar it has a positive click when fitting. Then I press the button and the hitch swings up inside the bumper, problem is that because the hitch is stowed on its side any water that enters just stays there so to prevent rust I coat the ball with silicon which of course has to be removed before use.
Hey Ho!

Reactions: RogerL
Jun 4, 2020
Visit site
I don't bother with any towball cover, I just cover the ball in vaseline after use. Cleaning it off with brake cleaner before use.. No rust in 4 years with current car.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I don't bother with a towball cover either. The car's got a retractable towball that does, yes, collect a little rust if not used for an extended period of time, but I just wipe off the little loose rust that has formed. The ball doesn't have to be perfectly shiny, just free from any loose stuff that could wear off into the pads and contaminate them.

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I’ve been using a tennis ball for my tow bar for years (not the same one obviously). Cut it to fit and the ball will stay on unless force is used.

Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts