Trip delayed - windy

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
We came up to Cambs on Thursday, due to leave Tuesday to go back to Devon, may consider delaying a day for the winds.

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
I did last year, not by choice though. I checked the weather forecast the evening before we travelled home and decided to set off a couple of hours earlier than originally planned to avoid a storm / high winds. Checked on the morning, still ok, the Severn Bridge was showing open. The storm hit early, by the time we got to the bridge it was closed (predicted wind gusts over 46 mph) so we had to detour to the PoW bridge.
To be fair it wasn't too bad. I stuck to 50 mph and only felt the caravan move significantly a couple of times. I guess that tugging a 1150 kg van behind a 1775 kg car helped (less than 65% ratio).

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I did last year, not by choice though. I checked the weather forecast the evening before we travelled home and decided to set off a couple of hours earlier than originally planned to avoid a storm / high winds. Checked on the morning, still ok, the Severn Bridge was showing open. The storm hit early, by the time we got to the bridge it was closed (predicted wind gusts over 46 mph) so we had to detour to the PoW bridge.
To be fair it wasn't too bad. I stuck to 50 mph and only felt the caravan move significantly a couple of times. I guess that tugging a 1150 kg van behind a 1775 kg car helped (less than 65% ratio).
In the 80’s I came home over the Severn bridge on a windy day with every intension of taking it easy. A lorry came alongside me in lane 2 and gave me protection all the way across. What a nice man.

John

Reactions: Beardy
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Went for a bike ride earlier (Leicestershire) and it was just a bit blustery, it’s really picked up now though! I was going to pull the caravan out and put the awning up so it can dry but I think I’ll give that a miss!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Went for a bike ride earlier (Leicestershire) and it was just a bit blustery, it’s really picked up now though! I was going to pull the caravan out and put the awning up so it can dry but I think I’ll give that a miss!
Hi Gary I think you made the right choice do it another day (y)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Not worth the worry or risk. Fully agree wait until the winds drop. Don’t forget wind forecasts don’t fully allow for sudden gusting which are often higher speeds .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not worth the worry or risk. Fully agree wait until the winds drop. Don’t forget wind forecasts don’t fully allow for sudden gusting which are often higher speeds .
There was a rule of thumb that gusts can be twice the mean wind speed. But even that doesn’t allow for areas or circumstances where the gust speed can be even higher.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
There was a rule of thumb that gusts can be twice the mean wind speed. But even that doesn’t allow for areas or circumstances where the gust speed can be even higher.

Living right by the coast I have certainly never experienced wind gust 100% in excess of anything forecast! Modern forecasts tend to give warning of any gusts, along with predicted strengths, never yet found them to be wrong.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Seeing as the wind is so warm I decided to live dangerously. Bungee cords to the car, wheelie bin and front door kept it in check! Removing the panels helped reduce the parachute effect.IMG_8133.jpg

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Living right by the coast I have certainly never experienced wind gust 100% in excess of anything forecast! Modern forecasts tend to give warning of any gusts, along with predicted strengths, never yet found them to be wrong.
You have misunderstood the concept. I never said anything about the forecast wind speed. Just a general relationship between mean speed and max speed IE gust speed. I used to use the “rule” when sailing. It makes little difference if you live by the coast or inland. Perhaps this link may clarify it for you.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
When I did my RYA Day Skipper course and exam 48 years ago “gusting”wind was an important factor. On the road vortices can form around structures, trees etc where the wind speed will be greater than the open air prediction. Yes , a prediction

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
When I did my RYA Day Skipper course and exam 48 years ago “gusting”wind was an important factor. On the road vortices can form around structures, trees etc where the wind speed will be greater than the open air prediction. Yes , a prediction
I lived in Cape Town for 18 years and a 70mph wind was a common occurrence hence the name "Cape of Storms". One day we were travelling out of Cape Town and in front of us was a VW Beetle. It went under a bridge and as it came out the other side, it lifted off the ground and rolled over. No injuries, but very shaken couple. No chance of towing a caravan on those sort of days.

Worst is being on a lake and being caught in a storm. The water becomes extremely choppy and unlike the sea the waves are spaced close, so you crest the wave and then go through the next wave as hardly any trough. Quite frightening as open boat filling with water.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I lived in Cape Town for 18 years and a 70mph wind was a common occurrence hence the name "Cape of Storms". One day we were travelling out of Cape Town and in front of us was a VW Beetle. It went under a bridge and as it came out the other side, it lifted off the ground and rolled over. No injuries, but very shaken couple. No chance of towing a caravan on those sort of days.

Worst is being on a lake and being caught in a storm. The water becomes extremely choppy and unlike the sea the waves are spaced close, so you crest the wave and then go through the next wave as hardly any trough. Quite frightening as open boat filling with water.
I experienced the “lake” effect on Lake Ontario sailing in a competition off of Kingston, when the weather just brewed up a local heavy downpour and strong winds. The 470 didn’t like it one bit and neither did the safety boat either. Beers all round when the races ended. . 😂

Reactions: Buckman
Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Coming from city where gale force winds are common occurrance didn't think twice about driving home from up country in a storm towing small boat. Will only do that once, as falling trees and branches are real risk. Got stop by tree that fell across road minutes earlier and was in firing line from his fell trees if one of them went, had odd twig rain down on us. Fellow motorist started attacking it with battery saw, thankfully farmer turned up with tractor and cleared it.

A few more miles later came across caravan with front smashed in by falling branch. That was one lucky driver as few seconds slower and branch would've been through car windscreen.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I towed home today from Norfolk to Staffordshire - with high winds gusting from the side it was a bumpy journey - glad I tow an outfit with a very low "towing ratio" of 65%

Reactions: Dustydog
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Our local MP (Andrew Bridgen) often drives around towing an advertising trailer for himself, he chose to do it in the high winds and the trailer ended up on it's side. While I don't know the details, with help. he got it the right way up and carried on, BUT something must have been damaged as when he got to the next town the trailer came off at a roundabout! Fortunately no-one else was involved.
andrewbridgen.jpg

May 23, 2021
Visit site
We left Foxtail Holiday Park, near Chirk, earlier today, heading home to Glasgow. We were originally planning to leave yesterday, but my husband didn't want to tow in the high winds, so we stayed an extra night. Plenty of caravans left the site yesterday, not us, though.

Reactions: GUMPY
Feb 13, 2024
Visit site
Our local MP (Andrew Bridgen) often drives around towing an advertising trailer for himself, he chose to do it in the high winds and the trailer ended up on it's side. While I don't know the details, with help. he got it the right way up and carried on, BUT something must have been damaged as when he got to the next town the trailer came off at a roundabout! Fortunately no-one else was involved.
View attachment 6470
Well what do you expect from a member of the independent party. No common sense!

• Haha
Reactions: GaryB and Buckman

TRENDING THREADS