TV aerial on Bailey Pageant

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm taking delivery of a new Bailey Pageant Vendee in March this year. The caravan has a fitted TV aerial (Status?) but this takes the height slightly over the standard for cross channel ferries (2.6m). As we don't watch TV in the caravan anyway can we remove this and is there some sort of blanking plug that can be fitted?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ian,we have a 2004 bailey pageant that is stored under cover with limited headroom so I too had to remove the aerial.It is very easy to do and you will find a blanking cap and small allen key along with instructions in your info pack with your new van.regards Mark

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We got a pack with our Status that contained the instruction book, allan key and bung to seal the hole when the aerial was removed.You can unscrew the point off the top and I would recommend that you do as we suffered damage to the van sides when enthusiastic seamen removed ours on Brittany ferries.Incidently if you lose or damage one the tip off a mastic tube looks identical at a fraction of the price.All it needs is a suitable nut bonded in.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The spike on top can be unscrewed which will reduce the height at little. The "mushroom" can be removed but it's not an easy on-off as the aerial cable needs to be pulled out as well. A blanking plug should have been provided with the installation kit but this is rarely passed on to the owner!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There should have been supplied with the van,if it was new,a plastic plug to fit into the hole left when you remove the "spike" on top of the aerial.Some ferry companies have this in there literature,as it drops the height of the aerial by about 2 inches.You can also remove the dish,just some allen screws,and again there is a plug to fit the hole left when removed.If you didn;t get any plugs with your van try a dealer or status themselves

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ian my pageant Auvergne was delivered last June with the aerial in the coat locker (by request because of shippig charges) and there was a bung fitted in the mounting hole which gave a perfect weather seal. I'm sure that was a factory fitted item.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ian, all previous posts are good advice. I remove my Status dish and pull the lead out through the roof. May be a good idea to attach a bit of thin string to it before you do so, then leave the string running from the top down into the locker. when you come to re-install, just tape the lead to the "top" end off the string and pull it back through.

Also, if you havn't got the makers plug, then you will find the childproof cap from a bottle of Boots asprin / codience tablets is a good fit over the top. Add a bit of a silicone sealer inside the cap before fitting and you will have a completely waterproof job. The biggest fiddle is re-fitting the coax plug to the downlead when you re-install, although you will be able to do this correctly, unlike many dealers and manufacturers.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi we are travelling south to Royan next July and will be passing through Nantes from Rennes on the ring road heading south on the A83 towards Bordeaux. We did this journey last year travelling anti clockwise on the ring road where we had to travel over the highest bridge I have ever had to travel over with caravan on back! not good if you suffer from vertigo, has anyone gone the other way around the ring road, is the bridge on that side of the city any lower? the distance does not seem to be any different to reach the motorway south to Bordeaux.

I don,t fancy croosing that bridge again unless I have to.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts