TV/Avtex/internet/ etc

Sep 21, 2022
Visit site
As a noobie the knowledge and experience of the people on this site is priceless to me, and today is no exception.

I put into the search box Avtex, for several reasons, I am considering a TV, and also a Sat-Nav the latter being the latest Garmin 3 offering.

The search threw up a myriad of questions and answers from all the usual experts, all very useful for me as I do not have a clue, but, the name Avtex for some reason seemed to strike a chord of technical prowess, maybe because CCMH seem to support it I don't know.

But what is important is I have established from you people in the main the TV's are crap for a whole variety of reasons, some of which are technically out of my league. But I will heed them so thanks for saving me that anguish.

Sadly I am still no further forward as I do not really know where to go from this point, I liked the thought of the Avtex router but I am not even sure about that now, I would be grateful for any advice concerning TV's, internet access, what the best options are for me.

Finally, the Garmin 3 Sat-Nav, a goer or a bucket, good and bad is welcome that as always.

Pete

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
can't tell you what is best, but I use a 22" LG TV, only works on 240 volt, but we never go off grid.
Add to that an Amazon Firestick for Netflix, Prime etc
This is run off a cheap MiFi device with a data plan from Smarty, only £20 a month for unlimited data and can just renew as and when we need it.
It's not perfect but works well enough for us

also means the kids can be on tictok etc

As for satnav, you can't beat an old fashioned road atlas and google maps/street view.
I'm tight so would never buy a "caravan" satnav but in general I think Waze on your phone is good enough if you have planned a route, and with the MiFi in the car no data worries

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Avtex support are second to none. Just a pity their TVs are not as reliable. We have an Avtex 21" in the bedroom area of the caravan and a 28" LG TV on the front chest of drawers. The Avtex was bought in 2015, but has been changed twice within the first year due to it breaking down. Excellent service from Avtex.

If you are only going use 240v then no point buying an Avtex because it has the option of 12v or 240v. Any domestic Tv will do the job!

Reactions: Paullus1959
Sep 21, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for your reply, the MiFi device looks really interesting never seen those before, so you just buy one as and when you need it. Would I be able to use an ipad etc off that also?

I dont have any knowledge of the Amazon Firestick either, the street view thing is now by subscription only, I think CoPilot would be a slightly better option, grateful for your views

Pete AKA ( Dinosaur )

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
No atlas or satnav (caravan-specific or not) can guarantee a trouble-free journey - neither can Google Earth and Street View but they do help as an additional tool, particularly from the nearest main road into the site itself. This does need pre-planning before you set out.

Reactions: Pamplona
Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for your reply, the MiFi device looks really interesting never seen those before, so you just buy one as and when you need it. Would I be able to use an ipad etc off that also?
No problem.
You buy the mifi device, price and quality vary massively .
Then you purchase a SIM card for m whichever network operator you choose (make sure the WiFi is unlocked/SIM free)
I use smarty as I have found their 4g pretty reliable and it was £20 for unlimited data last time I used it.
You can connect as many devices as you like to it, just like a home router. However performance will drop with more connected devices.

Didn't know about street view being subscription now, that sucks

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

I dont have any knowledge of the Amazon Firestick either, the street view thing is now by subscription only, I think CoPilot would be a slightly better option, grateful for your views

Pete AKA ( Dinosaur )
I knew street view was a subscription service to developers or those who had their business shown, but had not seen anything from Google wrt public users. Seems to defeat the object. Do you have a link describing the change.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Or, if you have a decent amount if data with your mobile phone contract use your phone as a WiFi "hotspot" (so your phone acts like your home WiFi router) that's what I do.

Avtex TV's are, to my mind at least, grossly overpriced. Unless you are going off grid and require a 12v option then a 230v TV is perfectly adequate
Get one of those and your well sorted. . I bought a refurbished 230v LG Smart telly off ebay (it even has a satelitte tuner built in) I think from Argos outlet, it came with 12 month warranty and was about 75% of the cost new and about 15% of the cost of an Avtex.

As for Sat navs there's not a lot to choose between them, personally I like Tom-tom because the user interface is very intuitive (unlike some I can think of)

Sep 21, 2022
Visit site
I knew street view was a subscription service to developers or those who had their business shown, but had not seen anything from Google wrt public users. Seems to defeat the object. Do you have a link describing the change.

My apologies, the app I was looking at was istreets which is now subscription based, so what I need then is Street View?

Reactions: otherclive
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My apologies, the app I was looking at was istreets which is now subscription based, so what I need then is Street View?
These days most smart phones can provide good mapping that can also give you directions. That's certainly true of Google Maps and Android and Microsoft devices. I don't have an Apple device, but I believe they can also use Google maps etc.

One of the disadvantages of using a dedicated mapping system like Garmin or Tom Tom, is you have to manually update the maps, and depending on the model or plan you have you may have to purchase them, but using the browser based systems, the maps are always about as up-to-date as they can be as. And if you have the right configuration, the traffic conditions can also be used and automatically update your route accordingly.

These online mapping apps are improving all the time, some but not all of them allow you to tell the system the type of vehicle you have, so don't rely on them to get you to the gate of your chosen caravan site. They may take you down unsuitable roads. Its always best to read the sites access arrangement's and either program your sat nav with the details, or just use the sat nav to get you to start point of the sites instructions.

I personally love good quality maps like Ordnance Survey of the area we are visiting, as they give you a vast amount of geographical information about an area. They don't need batteries and provided you know how to read a map and in conjunction with a compass have a compass the world is your oyster.

Reactions: Pamplona and RogerL
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I agree with most of the above views.

In my opinion: If a 12 volt tv is not required, there are very many suitable home tv’s available. I bought an x display Toshiba smart TV from John Lewis for £110. A great TV with good sound. Now we have packed in the caravan, we use it in the kitchen.

If sound is a problem, a bluetooth speaker can be added.

A firestick will make a non smart TV smart. So may not be needed.

Being able to get pictures via the internet increases connection chances if the reception is poor.

Like Mr Plodd. I just link to our mobiles hot spot. Sim cards are so cheap now. We would deliberately use two different suppliers to increase signal chances. I can recommend Smarty for service and value. (if anyone wants to give them a try, pm me. We can both get £10).

If 12 volt is needed, I think Avtex are overpriced. Cello, are worth a look at.

For SatNav. I would recommend a good large smart phone with the caravan CoPilot app. £25 per year.

Google and street view are fantastic for pre planning. Both are free.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have the TomTom Go Camper and when an update is available, the satnav notifies you of the update and you simply press yes and it downloads the update without the need to plug the unit into a laptop.

You can also add in the dimensions of your total combination and then select either Car Only or Car and Caravan. If you select Car and Caravan it avoids unsuitable roads. The unsuitable road may be a road to the CL, but the TT notifies you and gives you the choice of accepting or finding an alternative route. Also notifies you of traffic incidents and gives you the choice to choose an alternative route.

Best off all is that we found found the TT a lot easier to use than some of the opposition satnavs.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
As for satnav, you can't beat an old fashioned road atlas and google maps/street view.

However, a map is "dumb" in that it can never know where you are, that aspect relies on one of you in the vehicle.

In that, even with the luxury of a dedicated navigator, there is another potential issue.
The on board "atmosphere" can get rather tense if the one tasked makes any misinterpretation when the driver requires further directions at junctions etc! Not the "ideal" situation for starting what many of us choose to be a relaxing enjoyable break together.

The role of the atlas, OS maps, "driving" Steet View etc and such inputs as roadwork information gathering comes way before driving in the planning of your intended route.
Then with the required waypoints and destination info to input to the sat nav, we leave the satnav to do what they do best, know with real precision where you are and how to get to where you next wanted to be.

I don't use a "caravan" specific sat nav, the "intelligence lead planning" I take onboard to research beforehand, on those trips where we don't know the route details. Our sat nav, unlike any map, also can receive traffic situation updates and be reactive to these offering work rounds, though depends on others to keep that info live.

My wife then used to like to follow how we progressed on a highly detailed "Navigator" map, but in reality, more of personal interest than an essential, though affording a wider aera view than the Discos screen.

Edit: I am very much a user of "coordinates", Lat & Long, real precision, not the non-definitive "post codes" [just try to see in France where they get you!]. Therefore, in purchasing a Sat Nav that would be a choice critical aspect.
My wife's 2013 Golf's offering is dreadful compared to the system my Disco has, and years back a Garmin dedicated Sat Nav featured.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
One thing not mentioned so far AFAIK is that many sites published recommended routes to/from thier sites - where they do, them use them rather than satnav - indeed the postcode for some sites will take you to the wrong place!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I am fairly sure that the built in SatNav in the Jeep is TomTom based. Very expensive to update the built in Satnav.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
However, a map is "dumb" in that it can never know where you are, that aspect relies on one of you in the vehicle.

In that, even with the luxury of a dedicated navigator, there is another potential issue.
The on board "atmosphere" can get rather tense if the one tasked makes any misinterpretation when the driver requires further directions at junctions etc! Not the "ideal" situation for starting what many of us choose to be a relaxing enjoyable break together.

The role of the atlas, OS maps, "driving" Steet View etc and such inputs as roadwork information gathering comes way before driving in the planning of your intended route.
Then with the required waypoints and destination info to input to the sat nav, we leave the satnav to do what they do best, know with real precision where you are and how to get to where you next wanted to be.

I don't use a "caravan" specific sat nav, the "intelligence lead planning" I take onboard to research beforehand, on those trips where we don't know the route details. Our sat nav, unlike any map, also can receive traffic situation updates and be reactive to these offering work rounds, though depends on others to keep that info live.

My wife then used to like to follow how we progressed on a highly detailed "Navigator" map, but in reality, more of personal interest than an essential, though affording a wider aera view than the Discos screen.

Edit: I am very much a user of "coordinates", Lat & Long, real precision, not the non-definitive "post codes" [just try to see in France where they get you!]. Therefore, in purchasing a Sat Nav that would be a choice critical aspect.
My wife's 2013 Golf's offering is dreadful compared to the system my Disco has, and years back a Garmin dedicated Sat Nav featured.
I purchased my first Garmin back around 2008 and chose it specifically because I could preprogram routes using Garmin software on the Windows PC then transfer to the satnav. Going abroad this was particularly useful, but as back up I would print route directions with graphics from Google, and also carry a large scale atlas too. For exploring the local area where we stayed I would use the countries’ equivalent of OS. One thing I would never do when towing was to divert due to hold ups unless it was an official diversion. And like Roger L I would follow the sites arrival directions.

Currently I have a car satnav on a 10.25in screen powered by Tom Tom and updated along with the rest of the infotainment twice a year, free until 2029. It also runs Apple and Google equivalents too. I now have a later Garmin, Drivesmart61, which has lifetime updates, wifi updating and other improvements. Although this week I tried updating it and even with a 32gb micro SD it said not enough room. So I used Garmin Express and same outcome. So instead of updating all of Europe with City Navigator Europe I had to settle for U.K. and Ireland.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Currently I have a car satnav on a 10.25in screen powered by Tom Tom and updated along with the rest of the infotainment twice a year, free until 2029. It also runs Apple and Google equivalents too. I now have a later Garmin, Drivesmart61, which has lifetime updates, wifi updating and other improvements. Although this week I tried updating it and even with a 32gb micro SD it said not enough room. So I used Garmin Express and same outcome. So instead of updating all of Europe with City Navigator Europe I had to settle for U.K. and Ireland.

The biggest problem with most built in Satnavs is that you cannot add your own POIs or program it for car and caravan.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The biggest problem with most built in Satnavs is that you cannot add your own POIs or program it for car and caravan.
On Kia I can install my own POI. The updates are download to a 64gb usb drive via my MAC. I then take the usb stick to the car and install the update. After which I could repeat the process by loading a file of POI if I wanted to. Some KIa owners do it fir CMHC sites POIs etc.

Sep 21, 2022
Visit site
Thank you everyone for your comprehensive replies, I think based on them currently I will be going with a non 12v TV, I would like to take the advice of using a fire stick also, however, that brings me to more questions.

I have briefly looked and find there are quite a few fire sticks from quite a few suppliers with different price structures, I presume I would be needing a 4K? Alexa or non-Alexa?

Is there a requirement to subscribe to anything else in order to enjoy the benefits?

May I also ask where you obtained yours from, I ask as I see there are the usual offerings from Ebay!

I also noted a newspaper article from a year ago stating that Amazon had clamped down on the use of customizing apps on the firestick. Whilst I realise this is a year old, grateful if anyone can throw any light on the current situation and if it impacts upon your own private usage.

I am still sifting through the Sat Nav info...

Pete

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thank you everyone for your comprehensive replies, I think based on them currently I will be going with a non 12v TV, I would like to take the advice of using a fire stick also, however, that brings me to more questions.

I have briefly looked and find there are quite a few fire sticks from quite a few suppliers with different price structures, I presume I would be needing a 4K? Alexa or non-Alexa?

Is there a requirement to subscribe to anything else in order to enjoy the benefits?

May I also ask where you obtained yours from, I ask as I see there are the usual offerings from Ebay!

I also noted a newspaper article from a year ago stating that Amazon had clamped down on the use of customizing apps on the firestick. Whilst I realise this is a year old, grateful if anyone can throw any light on the current situation and if it impacts upon your own private usage.

I am still sifting through the Sat Nav info...

Pete
Buy a SMART Tv and then no need for a Firestick. Our 28" LG bought from Richer Sounds with a 6 year warranty is a Smart TV.

Reactions: RogerL

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
IMO we don't need 4K, that is four times the image resolution of HD and not generally achievable in the size TV I would have, or could have in our caravan.
I can discern HD from SD and would opt for that level of resolution, plus it is now tending to be the base level of TVs offered other than right on a low budget.
There is also a price to be paid for opting for 4K resolution, and if the intended TV can't resolve that, then wasted money for that task.
We have an 18" oldish Avtex; I have mixed views of it, one is it was very costly relative to a domestic market TV. My buying reason was it claimed and appears to have been "ruggedised" which given ours is solidly mounted was to me a plus. Certainly, the two Vision Plus ones I had before both failed, one under warranty, the other hurting me so was not going to be replaced with anything from that maker.
For many years previously I used a domestic SONY 15" and when off grid, as was quite the normal. powered it with a pure sine wave small Wattage inverter a friend made for this duty; it proved a fault free and good solution with very small parasitic losses.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
One thing not mentioned so far AFAIK is that many sites published recommended routes to/from thier sites - where they do, them use them rather than satnav - indeed the postcode for some sites will take you to the wrong place!
See Para 3 post #12

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts