two coolbax`s on one transformer

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi and thanks for looking
When it comes to electrics I’m useless.
I want to run 2 12v coolbox’s on one 240 to 12v transformer if possible. I tried it last year but it blew the fuse. I put a bigger fuse in and it over heated and melted the one into two cigarette lighter adapter. Is it possible or do I really need another transformer. I.e. one transformer for each coolbox.
Cheers Richard W

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
I think you've answered it yourself.

You should never replace a blown fuse with a bigger one. :evil: If you do you will overheat something else - the adapter. :whistle:

You must use 2x transformers, from different power sources.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Richard,

A woodlands tells you its two transformers or more accurately power supplies that you need.

Fuses are there to do a job, It is seriously dangerous to fit a larger fuse than is specified or supplied by the appliance manufacture.

As you discovered, having a larger fuse allowed the system to be overloaded which resulted in a melt down. If that had happened out if sight, or in a place where children can play, think about the possible consequences, live metal parts may become exposed, or the system could get so hot it actually sets on fire.

Please don't do it again. Be safe, and follow the manufacturers instructions.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi and thanks for the reply`s
Yes on reflection that wasn't the best idea. Just over looked the obvious by trying to sort a problem. So I’m off to purchase another transformer
Thanks for help. Richard W

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Reading this has made me even more certain that caravan insurance should be compulsory.
I would not want to be parked next to someone trying a stunt like this.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
RichardW1 said:
Hi and thanks for looking
When it comes to electrics I’m useless.
I want to run 2 12v coolbox’s on one 240 to 12v transformer if possible. I tried it last year but it blew the fuse. I put a bigger fuse in and it over heated and melted the one into two cigarette lighter adapter. Is it possible or do I really need another transformer. I.e. one transformer for each coolbox.
Cheers Richard W

Hello again Richard ,

It has just occurred to me I'm not clear on what or more accurately where you are trying to run two cool boxes. Is this at home or in the car or in the caravan? You mention 240 to 12V "transformer" , yet you also mention the cigarette lighter, which is only 12Vdc. My previous comments are still entirely valid and apply to all appliances, but the terminology you have used doesn't make complete sense, so I am intrigued.

For your information , the mains power in the EU including the UK is now rated as 230V not 240V . A transformer will only work with ac supplies, and will only produce an ac output. You require other components to convert the ac to dc which makes it a "power supply" Virtually all mains power supplies include a transformer.

If you are replacing a power supply you must ensure its has the correct output voltage and has enough current capacity to cope with the loads you attach to it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for your replays. After reading back need to explain im not having problems with the transformer. it was the adapter i was using that i had the problem with. i need an adapter that splits into two that can take the draw of both coolbox`s through one transformer. sorry if i wasn't clear enough. Cheers Richard W

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you for that clarification.

It doesn't change my previous advice, but it does beg the question is the POWER SUPPLY you are using actually man enough to run two cool boxes at once. Without knowing the cool-boxes specifications I can't be specific but these devices tend to need between 4 to 8A each.

Check the specification of each of your cool boxes, somewhere there should be a data plate or sticker that gives you information such as Volts and Current (Amps) You need a power supply whose output that is rated to be equal or greater than the Amps rating of the cool box it is feeding.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts