Tyre Blow Out!

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Having just experienced a tyre blow out, literally around the corner from home....how lucky was that....or unlucky...I’m keen to know more about tyre protection. I’ve now had both tyres replaced as I didn’t trust the other one.

Are there any preventative measures that I can take? Thanks all.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Fithawk said:
Having just experienced a tyre blow out, literally around the corner from home....how lucky was that....or unlucky...I’m keen to know more about tyre protection. I’ve now had both tyres replaced as I didn’t trust the other one.

Are there any preventative measures that I can take? Thanks all.

You did the right thing changing the other tyre as that is the recommended approach. Having good tread and tyres at correct pressure helps. Changing tyres at 5-6 years old. Also you could fit a TPMS like Tyrepal which gives warning of some deflating/overheat conditions. Some install tyron bands which are claimed to prevent a deflated tyre coming off of the rim, but I've not seen anything to show their actual functionality on caravans.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I always have Tyron Bands fitted. Not had the experience of a caravan blowout yet, plenty on trucks and I feel anything that may help is worth the expense.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The best preventative measures that you can take with caravan tyres to prevent blowouts is to replace tyres between 5 and 7 years old, no later because the sidewalls deteriorate even though the tread wear may be minimal. Correct inflation at all times is important.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Parksy said:
The best preventative measures that you can take with caravan tyres to prevent blowouts is to replace tyres between 5 and 7 years old, no later because the sidewalls deteriorate even though the tread wear may be minimal. Correct inflation at all times is important.

And avoid clipping kerbs ! Seen one guy blow out his caravan tyre on the high sided kerb at a petrol station pump! :eek:hmy:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I clipped a curb in Natters just off the Innsbruck - Brenner autobahn avoiding a car coming round a corner in the middle of a very narrow road in the village. I blew out the right hand tyre on the caravan. The Tyron band allowed me to drive through the village until i found a suitable place outside the village where I could pull off and change the wheel. This is the second time Tyron bands have come to the rescue. The first was in Sheffield in 1993 when I did the same although that time it was entirely my own stupidity. However, again the Tyron band allowed me to drive on until I found a place to change the wheel. Therefore, for me, Tyron bands work.

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
I use the tyrepal system and it gives a reasuring readout of pressure and temperature. I have yet to experience a puncture so cannot comment on it’s practical use.

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
What happens if a tyre needs changing? The first question asked when booking my tyre change was “have you got Tyron Bands fitted?” Cheers.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Fithawk said:
What happens if a tyre needs changing? The first question asked when booking my tyre change was “have you got Tyron Bands fitted?” Cheers.

I bought the Tyron band mobile kit £70 Kwik fit Mobile fitters are "Supposed " to have the Tyron kits. But at least I have mine.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Bob reports that he has had two blow outs, and he believes the tyre bands helped to retain the damaged tyre on the rim. The problem is he does not know what would have happened if he hadn't got tyre bands. There is no certainty the tyres would have come off the rim without the band's. The design of most rims includes a bead which does in many instances retain the tyre, rendering the band's of no clear advantage.

If the band's were as successful as the manufacturer would have you believe, there would be a choice of manufacturers to choose from. Safety organisations would be actively pushing the fitting of them, and they would be at least a standard option on all car sales if not fitted as standard.

In my view tyre bands fall into the category of "an unnecessary solution looking for a non existent problem.

At least they are unlikely to cause any serious problems except that some tyre fitters are not confident at working with them. If by spending your money makes you feel better then so be it, but I'd rather keep the pounds in my pocket.

Feb 25, 2017
Visit site
Dodger524 said:
I use the tyrepal system and it gives a reasuring readout of pressure and temperature. I have yet to experience a puncture so cannot comment on it’s practical use.

Another vote for the Tyrepal system Works perfectly, parameters can be inputted by user and gives instant warning of deflation or overheating. Best bit of kit I have bought in ages.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When I had a tyre let go at 60 mph on the Monmouth-Newport dual carriageway there was the sound akin to being buzzed by a Tornado, a twitch from the caravan and then the rumble as the tyre continued to disintegrate. It was in my early days of caravanning and I checked the tyres tread and pressure but wasn’t aware of the age limitations.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
A few years years back now, van had Tyron bands on, unaware I had blowout, thought Freelander had lost power. Unaware of blowout until stopped outfit to investigate loss of power, found the tyre shredded so I suppose Tyron band had done it's job and kept tyre on rim, however the rim was wrecked and also the wheel arch. Had them removed after that as I thought I would rather know earlier of the problem.
10june04002_1.jpg

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I think the Tyrepal monitor is a very good idea, , I have Tyron bands fitted and carry in the car the mobile kit for tyre replacment. Until I have a "Blowout" on the caravan then I will decided to remove the Tyrons band,. On our firts caravan, no idea about life of caravan tyres, we had two tyre valve leak on our first run out. Tyres past there date, straight from the dealer.
but I also have my caravan tyres Balanced now, it amazing, how many internal doors stay closed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Prof, you're right. I have only ever had 2 blow outs, both were caused by clipping curbs. Each time I had Tyron bands fitted. What would have happened if I had not had the bands, I have no idea - possibly the same. I only report what happened to me and the circumstances at the time. I make no comment either wayoin the merits or not of Tyron bands, Like all placebos, I am more relaxed towing knowing that I have them fitted.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry, I should add that I carry a Tyron band fitting kit as we do most of our touring in Europe. The tyre fitters in Innsbruck used the kit and rose to the challenge.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I can feel a tyre problem on the car straight away but on the van not so soon. I am happy to keep my Tyron bands, an old idea, but I would switch to a tyre monitor system if I changed the caravan..

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Opinion is divided when it comes to Tyron Bands and a look back using the search tab and entering Tyron Bands for any date will provide a wealth of information.
Here's just one of the many previous posts which mention Tyron Bands

May 24, 2014
Visit site
As Parksy says, opinion is divided but unproven either way. Lets be totally honest, they dont do any harm and if there is a slight chance of them helping, for me its worth the cash.

As caravanners, we willingly throw bucket loads of cash at any new thing that comes on the market, stuff that will probably be used once then thrown in the back of the garage, so why skimp on safety?

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
I'm with Thingy on this one....only in my case substitute, "a thimble full" rather than buckets full of cash!

My Van has the Tyron bands fitted when I got it, and each time I had new tyres fitted I asked for them to be refitted and never had a problem.

Mind you if a tyre fitter told me he had difficulty in fitting them it would send warning bells ringing.....and in that case I wouldn't trust her or him to fit new tyres on my tea trolley let alone my caravan!!
As always Happy Caravanning and enjoy this wonderful weather
Regards
paws

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thingy said:
As Parksy says, opinion is divided but unproven either way. Lets be totally honest, they dont do any harm and if there is a slight chance of them helping, for me its worth the cash.

As caravanners, we willingly throw bucket loads of cash at any new thing that comes on the market, stuff that will probably be used once then thrown in the back of the garage, so why skimp on safety?

Hello Thingy,
I'm first in line for supporting systems that support safety, provided there is tangible evidence of them actually doing what they claim, the problem for tyre bands there is no corroborated evidence, only the manufacturers advertising hype, which does not show a clear benefit by comparing their demonstrations withe same vehicles doing the same tings but without their bands fitted.

If these bands were as good as they would have us believe, they would be so important that they wold be fitted as standard to all vehicles.

When you consider the working conditions of tyres, those on a caravan are less stressed (but no less important) than those on your tow vehicle or day to day car, so if tyre bands are seen as so valuable for a caravan they should be even more beneficial for their tow vehicles, so why do caravanner's with tyre bands, not have them fitted to their cars? It should be a no brainer!

There is no substitute for good tyre management, and whilst it does not guarantee preventing a blow out, it goes long way towards it. Systems that monitor pressure and temperature of tyres are a real safety feature provided they are reliable, becasue sudden rapid tyre deflation is thankfully quite rare. Most problems are due to slower loss of pressure leading to increased tyre temperatures, or worn tyres not being replaced in a timely manner.

If and when there is real good scientific evidence that these bands do have a positive benefit for caravans, then Ill be happy to support them, but until that unequivocal evidence is presented, I can't see a practical reason to spend money on them.

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Many thanks for all your input people!

I had no idea of the blowout until I reached home. Like others it felt like a power issue. The TyrePal concept sounds favourable, especially if it gives real time alert.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts