User payload guidance

Sep 1, 2005
Visit site
I know its a very variable question but can someone give me any guidance on an approx. payload for a family of 4. The awning will be carried in the car along with the clothes. So many dealers give conflicting advice in a desperate bid to secure the sale that I thought this forum could help. It will help us decide on the correct van for our vehicle.

Thanks

Karen

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Peter,

As you say its quite confusing, There is no hard and fast guide, as we all ahve different wish lists. I suggest you do an experiment, sort out the items you think you would like to take with you, and weigh them.

Dont forget that you must also include the gas bottles water carriers spare wheel, awning & poles, television, cutlery, plates etc, playing cards, books, buckets and spades ..........,

Alternativley choose a caravan, allow for the communual items (above) work out what capacity is left and tell each member of the family the amount they can take.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Yes, it is a very difficult question to answer because everybody has different ideas of what to take with them in the caravan and what to leave at home but in my experience, a family caravan should at least have a payload of 200kg.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Caravans built since the mid-90s will comply with EN1645 which specifies minimum weights for Essential Habitation Equipment (gas, battery etc) and Personal Effects (food, clothing etc). These figures taken into account the number of berths in a caravan.

Unfortunately most caravans don't have any payload allowance above these two minimum figures, so a caravan should be considered as running at Maximum Technically Permitted Laden Mass (MTPLM) in most cases. There are a few cases where a lower weight could be used but this needs experienced caravanners with a good head for weights and numbers.

My advice to Peter, which would simply echo that given by the Towing Code, is to keep the MTPLM of the caravan down to about 85% of your towcars kerbweight.

Caravan sales people are the last ones on earth to trust when it comes to sizes or weights!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts