Vango airbeams!

Aug 14, 2019
Visit site
Crikey, here we are in The New Forest, put the Vango Kalari awning up, pumped up to 6psi & POP! ANOTHER air beam seal gave up. This is the 2nd time it’s happened. 1st time was with a different beam in the Lake District. I reckon the awning’s only been up 10 times in its life, bought new in 2017. (We have a lighter awning for shorter stays)
I’ve tried sealing it with clear Gorilla tape but it’s not having it. The seam has come apart along its whole length, I’ve double taped it & doubled it over & taped it again. The barstard is still losing air & I’ve got it propped up with a chair on top of a table.
Anyone else had this ball ache of an issue?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Crikey, here we are in The New Forest, put the Vango Kalari awning up, pumped up to 6psi & POP! ANOTHER air beam seal gave up. This is the 2nd time it’s happened. 1st time was with a different beam in the Lake District. I reckon the awning’s only been up 10 times in its life, bought new in 2017. (We have a lighter awning for shorter stays)
I’ve tried sealing it with clear Gorilla tape but it’s not having it. The seam has come apart along its whole length, I’ve double taped it & doubled it over & taped it again. The barstard is still losing air & I’ve got it propped up with a chair on top of a table.
Anyone else had this ball ache of an issue?
Not an uncommon phenomenon but do Vango still supply replacement bladders?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
They do, but I need one now, or at least tomorrow. I look like a right dork with a busted beam held up with a chair on a table.
Any local caravan camping outlets? .Amazon have air bladders. Whether they have your specific one you’d need to search. But they would deliver to a caravan site.

May 10, 2020
Visit site
My air awning popped the end seams on a couple of roof beams during hot weather. Tried everything to make an effective repair but failed in every attempt. Tape, glue, roof sealing tape everything failed. Someone did suggest trying a food bag heat sealer which sounds plausible to me but I haven’t tried it. I now carry a couple of spares. As much as I love the air awning we now use a roll out canopy for the shorter trips.
R
As an emergency fix you can use a cable tie. Screw the end of the bladder tight, wack a really tight cable tie around and pump up to a reduced pressure. Use a rag/ sock in the end of the sleeve to make up for the lost lenght

Aug 14, 2019
Visit site
My air awning popped the end seams on a couple of roof beams during hot weather. Tried everything to make an effective repair but failed in every attempt. Tape, glue, roof sealing tape everything failed. Someone did suggest trying a food bag heat sealer which sounds plausible to me but I haven’t tried it. I now carry a couple of spares. As much as I love the air awning we now use a roll out canopy for the shorter trips.
R
As an emergency fix you can use a cable tie. Screw the end of the bladder tight, wack a really tight cable tie around and pump up to a reduced pressure. Use a rag/ sock in the end of the sleeve to make up for the lost lenght
If I can’t source a tube I’ll give a cable tie a go. Funnily enough, my Mrs mentioned that. 🤔🤔

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Have you gone to a poled awning?
I always had the carbon fibre x poled Isabella, two in fact, the main full size and the Magnum porch. The Kampa was an experiment which failed for me but in fairness I do see the attraction. They are very heavy to drag through the awning rail.
If you see any seasonals on site you will be surprised how many use Isabella’s. You will rarely see an air one.

Reactions: Bluetonic
Aug 14, 2019
Visit site
I always had the carbon fibre x poled Isabella, two in fact, the main full size and the Magnum porch. The Kampa was an experiment which failed for me but in fairness I do see the attraction. They are very heavy to drag through the awning rail.
If you see any seasonals on site you will be surprised how many use Isabella’s. You will rarely see an air one.
Our Vango seemed heavy to get through the rail but a squirt of silicon spray really helped, it’s pretty easy now, pity about the crap beams, which let a good awning down. (Pardon the pun)
So what’s the approximate packed weight of a same sized air versus poled awning? Carbon & steel poles taken into consideration. (I haven’t researched any yet)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
An advantage of poled is you can pack awning and poles in different places.
Most makers websites give weights of the different awnings with poles of the different materials.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Jimmy,
My Izzy is 29.91kg of which 18.59 is canvas 11.32 is carbon fibre X poles.
My old Kampa is approx 21.4 Kgs the whole thing plus you need to factor in all the extra ceiling liner, pump etc.
When pitching you have to drag the whole Kampa 21.4 through the rail.
The Izzy is basically just the roof without th scour big doors, say 8 kgs to,drag.
Please do double check the latest weights of whatever you buy.

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
we have the vango and have used it nearly 5 years with never a fault except the canopy which I got for it, the beam valve broke but the supplier (on Ebay) sent a replacement 6 metre beam within 4 days.
Yes they are heavy to drag through but you can remove the panels if you like.
I can pull ours through even with the canopy still fitted.
I think that we would all like an isabella air or poled as they are definitely the best and always have been.
But good as they are I don't believe that they could be good enough to justify the outrageous prices.
Styling looks a bit dated now as well.

Only my opinion though

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
we have the vango and have used it nearly 5 years with never a fault except the canopy which I got for it, the beam valve broke but the supplier (on Ebay) sent a replacement 6 metre beam within 4 days.
I think that we would all like an isabella air or poled as they are definitely the best and always have been.
But good as they are I don't believe that they could be good enough to justify the outrageous prices.

Only my opinion though
Our air Kampa costing us in excess of £1000 was rubbish which is why we sold it. For about £200 more we were able to buy the Izzy Magnum and that has been out in al weather over the past 8 years and still looks good. It will probably be good for another 10 years! (y) :)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site

Only my opinion though
You’re welcome. All opinions count.
Cost is relative. My Izzies have served us well . The Magnum is 13 years old . Had a bit of restitching otherwise still brilliant. Easy to erect alone too. Well worth the extra cost in the long run

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I have a Sunncamp Inceptor air awning. 4 years of fairly frequent use without any issues, watertight (it has been severely tested on a few occasions ) No blown bladders (but I never inflate to the full 7psi recommended, usually 6 - 6.25)
It weighs 27kg all up, we manage it perfectly on our own (both late 60's)
Takes 4.5 minutes from opening the bag to being fully inflated.
Air awnings are only ever recommended for short term touring use.
For a seasonal pitch I would never contemplate an air jobbie, poled every time.

Reactions: Dustydog
Aug 14, 2019
Visit site
Well I tried the cable tie idea to no avail . Seems like once a seam goes that’s it. I phoned Tent Spares Ltd (based in Hinckley) where a very helpful chap sorted me with a new one to be sent to the site we’re on, hopefully get it tomorrow.

May 10, 2020
Visit site
Ah well now you know 😄
Just as a matter of interest there’s a guy on utube who managed a temporary repair by simply tying a knot in the end…… may just help in the future

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
What sort of price are these air beams?
Just wondering whether it might be worth carrying a spare to save any grief when halfway down France :unsure:

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
What sort of price are these air beams?
Just wondering whether it might be worth carrying a spare to save any grief when halfway down France :unsure:
Looking on their website, it depends on size but around £40-£55. Looks like a useful supplier of spares.
Mel

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Every time we buy a "spare", sods law kick sin and we never seem to need it! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Yep, know exactly what you mean! I just have a vision of one "letting go" 2 days into a 6 week trip :eek: :eek:
And before any chirps in I have seen poled awnings with buckled poles!

I cannot seem to locate bladders for an air volution inceptor awning on their website. I have just emailed them.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I think Kampa caravan awnings are now part of Dometic whilst all other Kampa kit appears to remain Kampa??
Mr Plodd, years back Kampa did sell a “puncture repair kit” . Never worked for me but maybe Suncamp do one that works?

Aug 14, 2019
Visit site
Ah well now you know 😄
Just as a matter of interest there’s a guy on utube who managed a temporary repair by simply tying a knot in the end…… may just help in the future
I think that idea would’ve shortened mine considerably & may have taken some packing to take up the gap. Probably better than my ‘table/chair prop’ idea though!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts