Walkie Talkie for onsite - Any recommendations?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We were thinking of getting a two radio to keep in touch with the kids onsite. This will allow them a little more freedom and we can keep in regular contact. (I think they would also enjoy them when in the woods)! Any recommdations? I do not want toy ones as we have tried these in the past and they have been rubish. I was thinking a proper radio with good range and maybe if possible 3 handsets? However I do not want to spend a fortune any help and advice would be much appreciated...thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Paul & Ruth

We use an Oregon Scientific TP329 Two Way Radio - Quad Pack. These are quite small and the kids carry them in their bum-bags. We have used them since our daughter went missing on a site for a while which scared the life out of us. You can get them from Argos, item no: 553/0458

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In the early nineties my friend and I hired a couple of radios to use on our journey to Italy and back.

They were a huge success, particularly when you wanted to organise refreshment stops, being spit up in high density traffic etc etc.

What i never knew was, was it legal to use these in Europe?

also now with mobile technology with us may they may have overtaken our efforts to keep in touch with each other, BEARING IN MIND THAT YOU CAN'T USE THEM WHEN DRIVING

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Paul & Ruth

We use an Oregon Scientific TP329 Two Way Radio - Quad Pack. These are quite small and the kids carry them in their bum-bags. We have used them since our daughter went missing on a site for a while which scared the life out of us. You can get them from Argos, item no: 553/0458

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have a pair of Motorola's - they have ni-cad batteries and a charging unit. The quality and range of them is excellent. We did have one problem when our son re-tuned the channel on his radio so that he could chat to another child on the site, which broke our contact with him! It resulted in a frantic search of the site for him.

As well as keeping in touch with our son, we also find them useful when manoeuvring the caravan. I have one set and hubby puts the other one on the passenger car seat. I can then radio him - giving directions for reversing etc, and he can hear me clearly even if I am out of sight behind the caravan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have a pair of Motorola's - they have ni-cad batteries and a charging unit. The quality and range of them is excellent. We did have one problem when our son re-tuned the channel on his radio so that he could chat to another child on the site, which broke our contact with him! It resulted in a frantic search of the site for him.

As well as keeping in touch with our son, we also find them useful when manoeuvring the caravan. I have one set and hubby puts the other one on the passenger car seat. I can then radio him - giving directions for reversing etc, and he can hear me clearly even if I am out of sight behind the caravan
Hi. Mrs Hitchlock,

I am just a little concerned at using these PMRR radios to give manoeuvring instructions, just consider if for some reason the receiver lost the signal when you are telling them to STOP --- Opss to late, just food for thought.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi. Mrs Hitchlock,

I am just a little concerned at using these PMRR radios to give manoeuvring instructions, just consider if for some reason the receiver lost the signal when you are telling them to STOP --- Opss to late, just food for thought.
We have thought of that as a possibility, one hand set is on the passenger's seat, my wife keeps hers set on constant transmit.

If for any reason her instructions were to stop....so would I!

It is far safer (IMHO) than her trying to check blind side obstacles whilst trying to be in my view as well.

Mr Hitchlock

Mar 30, 2005
Visit site
We have thought of that as a possibility, one hand set is on the passenger's seat, my wife keeps hers set on constant transmit.

If for any reason her instructions were to stop....so would I!

It is far safer (IMHO) than her trying to check blind side obstacles whilst trying to be in my view as well.

Mr Hitchlock
Mrs Hitchlock,

Just a thought, but I too have a pair of Motorola radios, and they have a 'lock' switch, which, I think, stops the freq. from being changed either by mistake or accident.

Might help prevent the kids for channel surfing :)

Paul

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
the only trouble is u cant tell whats going to come over on air ,we had ours on and there was some road workers on air ,and the language rather blue,so be carefull with the kids

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mobile phones are definitely illegal to use while driving, but if the use of a two-way radio was illegal the police had better start fining themselves! No black rat is gonna save them this time!!!

I gave a bloke in a beemer a right load of stick the other day when he was on the phone as his driving was atrocious. I don't have an axe to grind with people who are making proper progress and driving properly but let's be honest not many seem able to and after all, it is against the law. I'm not sure that the same legislation is applicable to radio tx equipment.

Want a site for PMR info then look here:

http://www.446user.co.uk/forum_index.html
Oh yeah, I have BT Freeways with dual base charger and FM radio. Vox facility (which is voice activated transmit) and 8 main channels with 38 sub channels and you can get them for around

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You know Kanga - comments like that cement the idea in my mind that you have never ever ventures further afield than your local shopping Mall.

If you move out of your comfort zone to embrace the REAL countryside you will find that even the very best mobile networks do not have total coverage.

There are many other advantages - mainly safety and the ability to have multiple users. Which thinking about would appeal to you!! - you could pretend to be all sorts of people.

Just the thing for a multiple personality.

There you go - that's your Christmas sorted.

Aug 21, 2005
Visit site
For anyone that thinks mobile phones are unsafe for kids....

remeber that these "kids toys" emit 10x more RF than modern mobile phones. I appreciate that they are not used directly against the ear like a mobile in normal use, but since when did kids use these things normally.

I did a RF hazards course a couple of years back. The trainer had a RF meter and showed that the kids radios emitted more RF than a mobile phone while in use. Not sure of the exact comparison but remember that it suprised the whole room. I work in an industry (mobile telecoms) where people are unsure of the technology and any long term health implications yet they go out and buy there kids toys that emit so much RF!!

Steve

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I thought the two way radios (walkie talkies to civilians) emmit a much lower frequency the mobile phones.

The microwave frequency was the concern for telephone as this is the same method as cooking food in the microwave ovens.

Aug 21, 2005
Visit site
I thought the two way radios (walkie talkies to civilians) emmit a much lower frequency the mobile phones.

The microwave frequency was the concern for telephone as this is the same method as cooking food in the microwave ovens.
Cant remember the frequency used by them but is such that it can still be absorbed by the human body.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We used ours at Low park wood August and they came in very handy, my friends whos daughter went missing used them to keep in contact and Im sure they contributed to her speedy return, the sites wardens were fantastic as were the rest of the campers who helped look for her. They have just bought some so there daughters can always keep in contact when out and about on sites. I recommend them totally.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Steve, Even if the frequency was microwave (which it isnt). Imagine the power the four AAA batteries can output (most two way radios run on 4 AAA batteries).

If you ran these batteries through a heating coil and embedded it into some soft tissue, you might get some discomfort for about 5 minutes. Now move the power to a much less conductive medium such as radio waves and move the distance from "embedded" to two feet away and change the direction from focused, to ominidirectional.

Youre not going to cook a lot of chickens.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts