Whats next ?

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
The 2015 Buccaneer range has underfloor heating and automatic leveling.

No doubt that in time this will drift down to other ranges but whats next in caravan development ?

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
Got to be automatic steps on all vans followed by a blow out awning based on a car air bag. An automatic toilet emptying system based on underground sensors that allow the container to propel to the dump, empty and then come back to be automatically topped up with fluid and ready for use. Site Owners will also be installing tea makers on each pitch so that you can get a cuppa as soon as you arrive after you have dropped your money in a vacuum tube which goes to the site owners house. Dream on baby !.

David

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
LizziePope said:
Or, to put it another way, what would you like to see next?
Better build quality - that would drastically reduce the number of newish caravans with water ingress - and avoid repetitive trips to the dealer to get things fixed.

Option choice - we're not all the same so don't all want the same standard equipment.

Lighter weight - EU restrictions on CO2 emissions are forcing car kerbweights downwards at quite a rate and caravans need to follow suit.

Better aerodynamics to reduce fuel consumption would be wonderful.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
A new caravan will be your second or third most expensive purchase in your life.
On that basis we are entitled to a bullet proof product.
Shame reality is different!
Workers off the street on piece work doesn't make for a good production line imo.

We know from some of the craftsman made units good quality can be achieved.
I've asked for years for PCv to do a QA/ QC survey of the mainstream manufacturers.
It's never happened.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Dustydog said:
A new caravan will be your second or third most expensive purchase in your life.
On that basis we are entitled to a bullet proof product.
Shame reality is different!
Workers off the street on piece work doesn't make for a good production line imo.

We know from some of the craftsman made units good quality can be achieved.
I've asked for years for PCv to do a QA/ QC survey of the mainstream manufacturers.
It's never happened.
Caravan Club used to do a Q&R survey and publish it every 4 years but the rumour goes that they stopped when manufacturers threatened to withdraw advertising in the club magazine - they'd probably apply the same commercial pressure to PCv.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I really don't see the point of the self leveling?? A total waste of money in my eyes and a gimmick.
It doesnt take long to wind the steadies down and it seems that most vans are left on site now a bit like a static.
My present Buccaneer has an electric Heki!! please tell me how this is progress? One press and it opens fully after a minute and to close you have to stand holding the button down on the remote i really cannot see that as progress ? You can open a manual heki in seconds!!
It costs nearly £800 surely to keep costs down you don't have to fit an electric one ?
To be honest all the extra gimmicks now added is what is stopping me changing my van, Elddis take note i don't want to pay for something i don't need!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Have to agree that most of us would prefer that the caravan is built well. If something available has to be added as standard a motor mover. Given the buying power of the manufacturers surely they could get these bought and fitted for far less than the current dealer fitting system.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Raywood said:
Have to agree that most of us would prefer that the caravan is built well. If something available has to be added as standard a motor mover. Given the buying power of the manufacturers surely they could get these bought and fitted for far less than the current dealer fitting system.

If a caravan manufacture were seriously considering fitting movers as standard, I suspect the caravan could be redesigned to incorporate the mover's motors and gearboxes above the wheel to remove the grounding issues.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Raywood said:

If a caravan manufacture were seriously considering fitting movers as standard, I suspect the caravan could be redesigned to incorporate the mover's motors and gearboxes above the wheel to remove the grounding issues.
It's a chassis issue, dependent on Alko and/or BPW changing their chassis design - since Alko already have the Mammut I don't see things changing much.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I know it's always a compromise with specification and weight but things will have to change. If I was paying over £30,000 for a Buccaneer Cruiser I would want to fit an AWD mover and 110 AH battery, together weighing 80Kgs.

That would leave a user payload of only 80Kgs. Woefully low for a 4 berth caravan. Even uprating to the max the payload would still only be 106Kgs. :unsure:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm with the others who would like to get what I've paid for, i.e. A caravan built well with effective quality control and decently finished.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The retreat was a bit different as it could only be towed by a commercial which is over over 3500kg, the buccaneer can be towed with a "normal " tow vehicle its just now wider like the Adria

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I can't believe that someone, somewhere, isn't considering a caravan toilet which can be plumbed in to a waste point on the pitch. It seems fantastic, but when I started caravanning if anyone had suggested that pitches would one day come with individual drains so that you didn't have to use a wastemaster, they'd have been laughed at. Now you can connect up your electricity, fresh water, waste outlet and TV point - the woosie tank is the obvious next step.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I couldn't see how that could work to be honest?
The coupling pipe would have to be a flexible pipe as you couldn't guarantee that the caravan or outlet would be in the same place.This would get smelly and dirty and where would it be stored?
Could be prone to blockage unless a decent size in diameter , who owns this pipe and keeps it clean?
The sites would have to have a huge investment and then its limits where you can go if the toilet is dedicated to hook up?
If they could afford to do that my guess is the toilet blocks would be of good size and quality so why couldn't you walk to them?

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
MichaelE said:
The retreat was a bit different as it could only be towed by a commercial which is over over 3500kg, the buccaneer can be towed with a "normal " tow vehicle its just now wider like the Adria

I didn't imply the Retreat was towable, I was just using it as an example of bigger things not necessarily being more popular. :)

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
MichaelE said:
I couldn't see how that could work to be honest?
The coupling pipe would have to be a flexible pipe as you couldn't guarantee that the caravan or outlet would be in the same place.This would get smelly and dirty and where would it be stored?
Could be prone to blockage unless a decent size in diameter , who owns this pipe and keeps it clean?
The sites would have to have a huge investment and then its limits where you can go if the toilet is dedicated to hook up?
If they could afford to do that my guess is the toilet blocks would be of good size and quality so why couldn't you walk to them?
It could be engineered like a motorhome "dump point" which simply means you park over an open manhole cover.

The other way is to have a much bigger black tank under the caravan and empty it like an RV.

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Hello all .
Surely the point of having a caravan is the go anywhere , do anything and enjoy TOURING . Seeing the sights , meeting the people and eating the wonderful food of the countries we visit and love. I agree its nice to have some comforts within the caravan especially light and warmth , as previously mentioned do we need to overload our caravan weights with these heavy items . Again as mentioned its more important to reduce weight rather then gain it ( as my doctor keeps telling me ;) )
IMHO it won't be until so called Caravan Manufacturers actually BUILD there own caravans completely instead of just assembling other manufacturers components will we ever have a world leading caravan/motorhome building manufacturer that leads to , 1) No water ingress , 2) Complete integral design items , rather than added extras , 3) Realistic lighter and stronger caravans , 4) Manufacturers desperate to listen to caravanners suggestions , 5) aerodynamic styling , 6) optional internal and external fitments inbuilt , Etc etc , ok , my rant over , but it not until caravan / motorhome buyers of new vehicle tell the manufacturers at the point of sale , ie refuse to buy , will we ever get a better built unit or any of the above , As we all know its supply and demand that rules . Steve .
Before anyone tells me its impossible for a single caravan maker to design and build every component then I agree , then again is it to much for a so called caravan manufacturer to actually design , build and complete the fitments of a caravan body , windows , first fix items AND a chassis ???

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
What does having a fob entry have to do with the width of a caravan? or the width of the site entry?
Because the reader sticks out so you dont have to get out of the vehicle.Most are protected by metal bars as they continue to get hit by caravans, with an extra 3" the chances increase?

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
RayS said:
I'm with the others who would like to get what I've paid for, i.e. A caravan built well with effective quality control and decently finished.

I am a quality Engineer and would love to audit the quality process for the main manufacturers................. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts