Which 4 berth? Vintage/Retro style!

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Hello! I'm thinking of making the switch from canvas to caravan for myself, my husband and our two children (5 & 6). But, my husband is NOT keen and will only consider it if it is a retro curvy looking caravan... I have absolutely no clue where to start!

I drive a massive 4x4 so pretty sure tow weight won't be an issue and passed my test pre 97 so have no class limit on my licence.

Can you suggest some makes and models that might please my husband and his aesthetic eye!!

smiley-laughing.gif

Sep 15, 2006
Visit site
My suggestions: In no particular order of merit. Condition I would assume will be the number one priority?
Carlight, Cheltenham, Castleton, Cotswold,Safari, Stirling ( not to be confused with modern Sterling caravans from the Swift group),Winchester and Viking.However be aware that in the past the majority of these caravans were built as two berths - four berths exist but will be harder to track down.

Can I suggest you get hold of a book called 'Cool Caravans' this is all about Retro Caravans.
N

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
A trawl through Fleabay might unearth older caravans if you are looking for a project but be careful not to buy a load of old scrap. My Cool Caravan which was mentioned by Landroverman has a website:

http://www.mycoolcaravan.com/index.html
If you have plenty of cash to splash there is a very contemporary but curvy caravan for sale on the Practical Caravan Caravanfinder section of this website. Have a look at This

My honest advice to you would be to buy a fairly inexpensive older 4 berth to find out if caravanning is for you. If you can persuade your husband that he likes caravanning then look for something that reflects your choice.

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Wowee, loving the voyager vector, exactly what I'm after if only it was half the price! I also love the shape of the Eriba caravans but again a bit cost prohibitive, looking to spend up to £8000. I can't manage a project unless I could get a restoration company to do it for me which I guess would defeat the purpose... I have two small children and just wouldn't manage it.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
There are plenty of good used 4 berths around within your budget but you might struggle to find a 'curvy retro looking' caravan that would supply the levels of comfort and convenience to suit your young family unless you buy an older tourer.
Modern tourers are made to be fairly easily repairable, aerodynamic (therefore using less fuel to tow) with spacious pleasant interiors which are quick and convenient to set up. Perhaps you could persuade your husband to have a look at one or two?

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
theres a retro van club that tow the said vans70 /80 some tow with old cars i have some old vans in the pipe line get a moderator to e/mail me if you need help.

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
many thanks, carlight and safari are the top choices style wise, funnily enough I went to Carters steam fair and saw some great examples there! Will start scanning Ebay, any other suggestions on where to track them down?! Also, any good restorers you can recommend?

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Yes please!!! I am narrowed down to a 4 berth Safari or carlight both of which are very illusive! If you happen across one, please let me know!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts