Which tyres

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As per Clive points out it's not the diameter of the rim that makes the difference its the overall diameter of the rim and tyre that's important. If teh over all tyre diameters are the same then it shouldn't cause any "wind up" problems with 4wd systems.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As per Clive points out it's not the diameter of the rim that makes the difference its the overall diameter of the rim and tyre that's important. If teh over all tyre diameters are the same then it shouldn't cause any "wind up" problems with 4wd systems.
What about different tread patterns? Would that have any effect if the vehicle is permanent AWD? Thanks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What about different tread patterns? Would that have any effect if the vehicle is permanent AWD? Thanks.
You should review the advice the vehicle manufacture offers, but if they have supplied a space saver wheel, then they must be confident such a difference is not going to cause a problem.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
You should review the advice the vehicle manufacture offers, but if they have supplied a space saver wheel, then they must be confident such a difference is not going to cause a problem.
Originally the vehicle came with Continental tyres however over time other brands with different treads may be fitted. This could apply to any brand of vehicle and was a general question and not to a specific brand.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Space savers are intended only for emergency use limited to 50mph and most manufacturers limit the distance used to 50 miles - so just to get you to a tyre supplier, not to complete your long journey.

Ideally, cars should have the same pattern on all four tyres but it's not an absolute.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Originally the vehicle came with Continental tyres however over time other brands with different treads may be fitted. This could apply to any brand of vehicle and was a general question and not to a specific brand.

That is why I suggested "You should review the advice the vehicle manufacture offers "

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When I fitted my Sorento with Yokohamas I put the first two on the back and planned to replace the two Kuhmo on the font a month later. How I put it in 4WD for a spell and the road/ transmission noise was very noticeable. So I switched it back to 2wd immediately. That was a combination of tread depth difference and tread patterns. Needless to say two more Yokohamas went onto the front the next day.

Ive read experiences abroad where a car has a puncture non repairable and the tyre fitters have insisted on two new identical tyres to be fitted on the axle. I thought the regulations only required tyres to be the same specification nit identical.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Ive read experiences abroad where a car has a puncture non repairable and the tyre fitters have insisted on two new identical tyres to be fitted on the axle. I thought the regulations only required tyres to be the same specification nit identical.

The UNECE regulations require only that the size/type is identical across the axle - unlike the UK, some European countries have additional requirements.

Reactions: ProfJohnL

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts