Will fuel prices limit your touring.

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Whilst going EV wil see your fuel price per mile drop and I think that will always be the case, but with such a volatile energy market at the moment the big price differences we see at the moment will I am sure reduce, as electricity prices are rateched upwards.

Reactions: WayneS
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Whilst going EV wil see your fuel price per mile drop and I think that will always be the case, but with such a volatile energy market at the moment the big price differences we see at the moment will I am sure reduce, as electricity prices are rateched upwards.
Oh - I absolutely agree. The price of energy is going up due to the reliance of the UK on international oil and gas prices. However, electricity prices are slightly insulated because we have non-gas generation, and electricity has a different VAT, tax and duty model to oil based fuels, and the different way the market operates.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Oh - I absolutely agree. The price of energy is going up due to the reliance of the UK on international oil and gas prices. However, electricity prices are slightly insulated because we have non-gas generation, and electricity has a different VAT, tax and duty model to oil based fuels, and the different way the market operates.
What I don't understand is that we are supposed to get a large of amount of energy from wind farms, solar farms and other renewables, but we are seeing a huge jump in the cost of energy?
Why is standing charge cost increasing as that has nothing to do with a kwh of energy. The standing charge is a maintenance charge that pays for the MOP, DC and DA plus several other entities.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
What I don't understand is that we are supposed to get a large of amount of energy from wind farms, solar farms and other renewables, but we are seeing a huge jump in the cost of energy?
Why is standing charge cost increasing as that has nothing to do with a kwh of energy. The standing charge is a maintenance charge that pays for the MOP, DC and DA plus several other entities.
You're highly unlikely to receive an answer to your question on this caravan forum.
Try asking your energy supplier

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Actually I was not looking for answers to my questions as none of us can answer them. I was simply replying to the previous post, but I guess my response should really be in chit chat forum which is part of the caravan forum. LOL! :D

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Surely maintenance costs of infrastructure, staff, facilities and logistics are not static and are affected by rising costs. Probably storm damage also has to be absorbed into charges too.

ps edited to correct incorrect juxtaposition

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Surely maintenance costs of infrastructure, staff, facilities and logistics are static not and are affected by rising costs. Probably storm damage also has to be absorbed into charges too.
As suggested by Parksy this is a caravan forum and perhaps this should be raised discussed under a new thread in the Chit Chat forum as it is a very valid observation?

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
There have already been threads about costs of electricity and different forms of generation.

This is one such and like many a general thread it meanders through the whole topic.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
There have already been threads about costs of electricity and different forms of generation.

This is one such and like many a general thread it meanders through the whole topic.

Just to be clear and a bit pedantic. The standing charge does not relate to the cost of electric kwh, but to maintenance so in a way I suspect a different subject to those discussed previously if we are only looking at the standing charge cost. :D

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Back on topic.
Morrisons Yeadon Yorkshire today Diesel £1.51. Our CL uses pay as you go electricity.
24 hours on, using heater at 2000 watts 12 hours, 500 watts 12 hours , fridge chargers tv etc is looking like £5.00 a day. Double the cost from last year. My diesel burn is looking like a 15/20% increase but still in line with Hutch’s calculations.
My big worry is stocks of wheat and barley are dwindling. No bread or beer😥. No comment on being green and climate action campaigns. Until The East is resolved we do need to look at non green things , maybe, to survive. TIC so don’t beat me up!

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
Back on topic.
Morrisons Yeadon Yorkshire today Diesel £1.51. Our CL uses pay as you go electricity.
24 hours on, using heater at 2000 watts 12 hours, 500 watts 12 hours , fridge chargers tv etc is looking like £5.00 a day. Double the cost from last year. My diesel burn is looking like a 15/20% increase but still in line with Hutch’s calculations.
My big worry is stocks of wheat and barley are dwindling. No bread or beer😥. No comment on being green and climate action campaigns. Until The East is resolved we do need to look at non green things , maybe, to survive. TIC so don’t beat me up!
went to town this morning BourneTesco esso diesel £1.63 a litre if it goes much higher will have to start using the bus by the way what is a bus

Martin

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I filled my Sorento up this afternoon, ready for a short break in Belfast next weekend.
£1:47.7 per litre at our local Asda filling station.
With ¼ of a tank left over from the last time, the fill up cost me £87.
Ouch 🙁

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I filled my Sorento up this afternoon, ready for a short break in Belfast next weekend.
£1:47.7 per litre at our local Asda filling station.
With ¼ of a tank left over from the last time, the fill up cost me £87.
Ouch 🙁
Quite a small “ ouch” but not nice anyway. Our local Tesco Esso was 159.9 for petrol this evening.

• Wow
Reactions: Parksy
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Rather than use the diesel we are now using the petrol car lot more. Biggest issue for me is that with it being so low to the ground, I have difficulty getting out of it and need assistance.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Rather than use the diesel we are now using the petrol car lot more. Biggest issue for me is that with it being so low to the ground, I have difficulty getting out of it and need assistance.
I took my wife’s Rio to Wales a couple of weeks back as the Subaru was a spring down, as you might say. Very windy and wet conditions but the Rio returned 55 mpg. We are using it more for longer trips and once inside it’s quite civilised, but entering and exiting my 6 ft 4 inches isn’t great. Thank heavens I’ve not got back problems. Yet!!!!!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Lady Villa’s Kia C’eed diesel driven carefully at 60/70 on long journeys can manage 60mpg. Overall 50 mpg is regularly achieved. But getting out😜 is more like roll over and out. It’s the knees . Maybe I’ve just got lazy and prefer the higher driving position. Like looking over a railway bridge. Just a better view.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Lady Villa’s Kia C’eed diesel driven carefully at 60/70 on long journeys can manage 60mpg. Overall 50 mpg is regularly achieved. But getting out😜 is more like roll over and out. It’s the knees . Maybe I’ve just got lazy and prefer the higher driving position. Like looking over a railway bridge. Just a better view.
Our 1997 Corolla which is automatic seems to give us about 42mpg so quite good for such an old car which is still extremely reliable. At least now we cna go past several filling stations without the need to fill up. Only use the diesel once a week to do shopping a round trip of about 16 miles.

Reactions: Bluetonic
Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
....our everyday car is a 11 year old 1.4 Ford turbo diesel that never does less than 55mpg here and there.....65mpg on motorways at 65mph.
Dedicated towcar is a 21 year old 2.7 Nissan turbo diesel last used January 30th when I filled up with 70 litres of diesel @ 1.40/ litre!!!
Writen off the capital depreciation cost on both cars now and not looking for the depreciation costs of any newer vehicles.

• Haha
Reactions: Dustydog and Hutch
May 7, 2012
Visit site
The simple answer is that much of the wind farm energy is produced by others than the end suppliers and they sell it into the market where the firms you deal with buy it. Quite simply there is no reason for these producers to sell at a lower rate than the market rate which includes the power from other sources. The amount generated from renewables is simply not enough to overcame the price differential with fossil fuels. Any firm that managed to supply only power from renewables would have to limit its market to the number of customers it could supply and even then would have to account for days when there was no wind and it needed to buy in power.
Apart from this the Government charge you about £160 a year as a green tax.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Topped up the Santa Fe , yesterday for a trip to York on Wednesday, and our BP garage was down to £1.54 for diesel. Just wish the beer in York was so cheap.

Reactions: Buckman
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My wife took our granddaughter to Lakeside Village in Doncaster in her 2008 Mitsubishi Colt 1.1 it average 58mpg part of the way on motorways 70mph

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Just for information:
Back yesterday after a week in the van in East Anglia.
Site charged me 31p per kwh for electricity - metered.
Local garage has diesel at 170.9 - fortunately had filled up a couple of days earlier at 156.9.

Edit. Head wind, heavy rain in parts and indicated mpg was 23.something. Usually around 26.something. Hey Ho! We had best pick and following wind when we tow.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Just for information:
Local garage has diesel at 170.9 - fortunately had filled up a couple of days earlier at 156.9.

Edit. Head wind, heavy rain in parts and indicated mpg was 23.something. Usually around 26.something. Hey Ho! We had best pick and following wind when we tow.
Wow - the new cap for domestic electricity from 1st April is only 27.63p per kwh for East Anglia, the present cap is down around 20p.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just for information:

Just my opinion, but I think you were grossly over charged for the metered electric. Most caravan sites have either 3 phase or HH metering. Due to volume this is generally cheaper than the domestic rate, but not always depending on size of the site.
A site that we use charges you £3.50 a day during the cooler months and £3 a day during the summer months. If you only use £2.00 of electric a day at the end of your stay, the same day your card is credited with the unused balance. We think this is very fair!

Back to the original topic when we go to an area we go out with the vehicle to visit local attractions and to see different places. I am guessing that with the high cost of fuel we will be limiting these excursions during our stay on a site.

TRENDING THREADS