Will the Diesel really Die?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Icaru5 said:
At the price per litre I paid at Gretna Services on the A74M on Tuesday evening, I don’t think they’ll be in a rush to completely kill off the Diesel car anytime soon ...

30vn6on.jpg

That must be run by the Riever Brothers. Well known border entrepreneurs!! I pay £135.9 for BP Ultimate diesel in a fuel station near to Leicester. Manage my miles carefully so almost all of my fuel stops have been at that station since mid- June, and I live over 100 miles away. Guess the engine will be sparkling clean. :)

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Please don’t take this the wrong way, but it’s not my money fortunately Clive and the last thing I’m going to add to my list of problems is driving around in search of the cheapest fuel, but even I thought that this was a little pricey. On a par with Gloucester services on the M5.

Slightly OT, but If you’re ever staying in the Leicestershire area, you could do a lot worse than spend an evening in the lovely, picturesque village of Hallaton, there’s a nice pub called the Bewicke arms with a couple of annex rooms. A welcome change from the usual corporate hotels. Quaint little village with thatched roofs everywhere and another great pub at the other end of the village called the fox. Well worth a walk up to there for a bite to eat. Breakfast is served in the Hare pie Cafe !

Can thoroughly recommend !

2ewmsmv.png

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Icaru5 said:
Please don’t take this the wrong way, but it’s not my money fortunately Clive and the last thing I’m going to add to my list of problems is driving around in search of the cheapest fuel, but even I thought that this was a little pricey. On a par with Gloucester services on the M5.

Slightly OT, but If you’re ever staying in the Leicestershire area, you could do a lot worse than spend an evening in the lovely, picturesque village of Hallaton, there’s a nice pub called the Berwick arms with a couple of annex rooms. A welcome change from the usual corporate hotels. Quaint little village with thatched roofs everywhere and another great pub called the fox. Can thoroughly recommend !

2ewmsmv.png

Thanks Icaru. I used to visit Hallaton for the bottle kicking and my (now) wife and I used to go out that way on the motorbike some summer evenings. Presently my accommodation comprises an air mattress kettle toaster and microwave in my Dads empty apartment. When it’s sold I may take up your suggestion for the Berwick.
End of thread diversion. Apologies to others.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
otherclive said:
Icaru5 said:

Slightly OT, but If you’re ever staying in the Leicestershire area, you could do a lot worse than spend an evening in the lovely, picturesque village of Hallaton, there’s a nice pub called the Bewicke arms with a couple of annex rooms. A welcome change from the usual corporate hotels. Quaint little village with thatched roofs everywhere and another great pub called the fox. Can thoroughly recommend !

2ewmsmv.png

Thanks Icaru. I used to visit Hallaton for the bottle kicking and my (now) wife and I used to go out that way on the motorbike some summer evenings. Presently my accommodation comprises an air mattress kettle toaster and microwave in my Dads empty apartment. When it’s sold I may take up your suggestion for the Berwick.
End of thread diversion. Apologies to others.

Yes, I believe that the bottle kicking used to take place up on the hill behind the Bewicke Arms ...

Probably outlawed nowadays for health and safety reasons ! :woohoo:

Definitely end of digression !

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I read this in Retail,Gazette this morning.
“Tesco is poised to install over 2400 electric car charging bays in its car parks at 600 stores across the UK by 2020.

The UK’s largest grocer has partnered with Volkswagen on the project, while a company called Podpoint will install the charging points.

Customers will be able to charge their cars for free via a 7kW charger while they do their shopping, which will be reportedly long enough for a “substantial” charge”.

Will the cost of ‘free’ charging be reflected in higher food prices?
From where will HMG replace loss of fuel duty?
Looks like EVs are closer than most of us think.

For faster charging, Tesco will also offer “rapid” 50kW chargers available for a small fee.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
I read this in Retail,Gazette this morning.
“Tesco is poised to install over 2400 electric car charging bays in its car parks at 600 stores across the UK by 2020.

The UK’s largest grocer has partnered with Volkswagen on the project, while a company called Podpoint will install the charging points.

Customers will be able to charge their cars for free via a 7kW charger while they do their shopping, which will be reportedly long enough for a “substantial” charge”.

Will the cost of ‘free’ charging be reflected in higher food prices?
From where will HMG replace loss of fuel duty?
Looks like EVs are closer than most of us think.

For faster charging, Tesco will also offer “rapid” 50kW chargers available for a small fee.

That’s a good move by Tesco. I bet the others will follow it up quite quickly. Re Fuel Duty; HMG have been loosing money for quite a while. Zero Road Fund or £30 has been held for far too long. With cars getting ever more fuel efficient the takings in Fuel Duty have dropped. While they never increased it a penny or two in budgets is beyond me. Scared of the backlash no doubt.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
... Re Fuel Duty; HMG have been loosing money for quite a while. Zero Road Fund or £30 has been held for far too long. With cars getting ever more fuel efficient the takings in Fuel Duty have dropped. While they never increased it a penny or two in budgets is beyond me. Scared of the backlash no doubt.

:unsure: Its arguable whether a "tax" can ever lose money :woohoo:

Ok the revenue from RFT may be down but its not "lost", as it was never due in the first place becasue they have adjusted the tax bands. :S

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The Government have a dilemna with duty. If they increase it then they drive more people into more economiocall or electric cars and they will get even less in practice. The alternative is then to tax electric cars but that would hit their stated aim of encouragiung sales. Basically they cannot win, so presumably the popular option of no tax rise is a political move aimed at not alienating people for the next election.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
So the Low polluting cars, at least co and No2, get away with low tax, they still use the roads, would it not be fairer to charge by the mileage, may smart meters in the cars like the rubbish smart meters for household electrics. .
Whinge over. :woohoo:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Raywood said:
The Government have a dilemna with duty. If they increase it then they drive more people into more economiocall or electric cars and they will get even less in practice. The alternative is then to tax electric cars but that would hit their stated aim of encouragiung sales. Basically they cannot win, so presumably the popular option of no tax rise is a political move aimed at not alienating people for the next election.

I have no doubt that at some point in the not to distant future EV will have RFT applied to them. Look at the recent reduction of the governments contribution to the purchase of hybrids and EV's It just points teh way its going.

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site

In parliament recently:

Perhaps after Brexit we can safely drive low emission diesel cars.

Question from Sir John Redwood re Nissan

The big increase in vehicle excise duties, the squeeze on new car loans & the general tax & regulatory attack on new low-emission diesels has had a predictable effect in greatly reducing the demand for & sales of new diesel cars. Will the Govt reconsider these damaging policies?.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Grey13 said:

In parliament recently:

Perhaps after Brexit we can safely drive low emission diesel cars.

Question from Sir John Redwood re Nissan

The big increase in vehicle excise duties, the squeeze on new car loans & the general tax & regulatory attack on new low-emission diesels has had a predictable effect in greatly reducing the demand for & sales of new diesel cars. Will the Govt reconsider these damaging policies?.
Fully agree Grey.
Whilst I accept mine is a guzzler and I pay the full wack tax SWMBO Clean diesel only costs £30 a year tax. The current model is so clean it is zero tax.
Note Nissan's change of heart on the Xtrail may well be an influence of their shared Owners. Guess who ? Mr. Macron's government owned auto manufacturer whose name escapes me :evil: :S

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
An interesting article, I noticed that Audi brought out a new Diesel Q7 , so they are not cutting back yet. I was looking at the new Sorento k4 and was interested to notice that it has fitted a Energy Regeneration system, basically when you take your foot of the accelerator the Sorento, recaptures the lost kinetic energy and uses it to recharge the battery, when the battery is fully charged the alternator is decoupled. And this is on a non hybrid engine.
I think we shall be pulling our Caravans with diesels for a long time yet.

Quite a number of cars do regeneration as a facet of stop-start. Mine does it and at times it makes the braking a little “grabby”.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts