Will the electric car strategy the govement has kill Caravans

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Yes they've based it on a Cooper-around the cheapest-and not equivalent at all-this is the sort of thing that the press bandy round that seems very unfair to me-many EVs are expensive but there are more coming online all the time. With rising prices of petrol of course we're really winning-12.4p a unit for us-fixed-while petrol is 129.9 here-and we have to travel 11 miles to the nearest petrol station. So nice just getting home plugging it in and not having to stop at a petrol station. They may not be cheaper per se for other makes but for the Mini if range isn't an issue it's very persuasive. We didn't actually buy it for any of the usual reasons though-charging from home and the pleasure of the drive were paramount and this Mini ticks those boxes big time. Our Roadster S is simiilar.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Lest we forget the Economy. EVs at the present time will cost this country dearly in many ways. The CAMC recently commissioned a research paper. It was established that CAMC members alone , using their caravans contribute over £400 million per annum to our Economy. Isolated areas such as North Norfolk would go bust without caravanners. It is argued similar results will emanate from the C&CC members, never mind the non member regime.
Can we afford to be so green🤢🤢

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Even if we wanted an EV, like 1000's of other people we would be unable to charge the EV at home and cannot have a cable across the pavement. Not sure how people in blocks of flats would cope. if they had an EV.
It is well understood that converting to EV will require changes to previous motoring habits, such as refueling.

According to
The average daily car mileage in 2019(the last normal year) was 20. This means not every EV will need to recharged everyday. This gives owners options. Most owners might only need to recharge once per week or fortnight. But for some if they have access to a charger just keeping it topped up overnight is a workable strategy.

There is a scheme whereby a home owner or a business who has a charging point, can actually rent it out for others to use.

But there are also moves to set up on street chargers - often fitted to lamp posts or other dedicated systems. It may require some ingenuity, but it is unlikely to be an impossible problem to overcome.

The ICE may still be worth something at 11 years, but the EV I would think would be difficult to sell as batteries in the EV will be at the end of their life and cost a fortune to replace...
This is a pure assumption. The evidence is that battery packs are lasting far longer than most pundits have guessed and most will still have useful capacity beyond 11 years.

Depending on teh reason for the loss of charge capacity, some batteries can be repaired to a reasonable level of performance.

As time goes by there will be a steady increase in the number of refurbished second hand batteries available.

EV's wont die just because the battery capacity has diminished, a more luxurious secondhand model with a reduced range might appeal to some people.

Examining this from a different angle, we have a government ramming this down our throats at every opportunity. But we are a small Island and the %age of problem gasses that we churn out pale into insignificance to the mega nations that are not getting behind it. Do they really think we can save the planet alone.

No rational person has suggested the UK alone will cure the worlds emissions problems. But we are suffering bad air quality issues, so for that alone its worth trying to improve our own environment. And if a different approach such as the UK's can be seen to work, it may encourage others to follow. Oaks grow from small acorns, and every little bit helps.

Lest we forget the Economy. EVs at the present time will cost this country dearly in many ways. The CAMC recently commissioned a research paper. It was established that CAMC members alone , using their caravans contribute over £400 million per annum to our Economy. Isolated areas such as North Norfolk would go bust without caravanners. It is argued similar results will emanate from the C&CC members, never mind the non member regime.
Can we afford to be so green🤢🤢

Do we have an alternative? Following on from Thingy's post, climate change and air quality (and C19) are hot potato's at the moment and Gov't has made changes, debateing them is futile as they have already happened, so we have to roll with the punches.

Most people (inc me) are not happy with change for the sake of change. It often causes us to have to change long established habits which is always difficult. And I strongly suspect the conventional Touring caravan holiday will have change. Less site hopping, perhaps even closer to home. Caravan sites will have to consider how to handle EV's, and perhaps introduce charging points somewhere on the site.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I been to look at a Kia Sportage 48v Auto Mild Hybrid and i have been told it can pull a lightweight caravan but the one i tried was not enough room for my legs (manual) they got my details and let me know when a auto comes in :)

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
If you compare the cost of an EV and a ICE vehicle over a three year period the ICE vehicle is till the cheapest in the long run.
For example a petrol Min cost about £16605 and the EV cost £26000. Fuel cost over a 3 year period is £3460 for the ICE and £1467 for the EV. Tax cost for petrol is £490 and zero for the EV over 3 years. Servicing cost for petrol is £648 and EV £360 over the 3 year period.
Therefore over a 3 year period the petrol Mini costs £21203 and the EV costs £27827 so a substantial difference.
The above is from the latest Which magazine and not from myself. They also do a comparison with the Peugeot 2008 and again over a 3 year period the petrol cost £28511 and the EV £32733.
Overall petrol is the winner on your pocket!
You need to include insurance as EVs are often considerably higher than their IC counterpart

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
As said not my figures. However insurance costs will vary depending on who you use.
I understand they aren't your figures but cost comparisons can't be excluded because they vary, some assumption needs to be made and stated. Equally, annual mileage varies and those doing very low mileages will never get the savings to justify the extra costs.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I been to look at a Kia Sportage 48v Auto Mild Hybrid and i have been told it can pull a lightweight caravan but the one i tried was not enough room for my legs (manual) they got my details and let me know when a auto comes in :)
What would you regard as a 'lightweight caravan' BB?
The tiny camping pod with a rear door and is little more than somewhere for people with active outdoor lifestyles to sleep is a lightweight caravan, but if, as I suspect, you lead a more sedentary life, a pod type caravan probably wouldn't suit you.
Are you going to change your towcar and your caravan at the same time?
You have at times expressed great satisfaction with your current towcar so what's brought about the change?
The decision is yours of course, but don't be sucked into spending a lot of money on something that you really don't need.
Normal petrol and diesel vehicles will still be around for years, most probably long after most of us on this forum have either given up because of old age or gone to the great certified location in the sky.

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 21, 2021
Visit site
We plan to hold on to the two petrol cars until we see what things we want to do and what future options are open to us. Now without the caravan there will come a day when the dogs are no longer with us. After that we would like to restart or long trips abroad into Europe as well as Scotland too. So we bide our time and see how things develop. But I must say I’m attracted to an EV. It would be so convenient at times to *** up to Tesco and not worry about emulsified oil🛢
Agreed hedge your bets, ev for local less than 75 miles and diesel for longer and towing.. And winter.

M11 in 2011 got stuck in a 24 hour traffic jam due to snow with around a thousand other, on a 1/4 of tank of fuel, but kept warm from the engine.

Imagine a leaf 40kwh battery only 25% charge left 10kwh, take away the computer power leaves you about 100w for heating if you only want to drive the 7 miles home.

Reactions: Hutch and Dustydog
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
What would you regard as a 'lightweight caravan' BB?
The tiny camping pod with a rear door and is little more than somewhere for people with active outdoor lifestyles to sleep is a lightweight caravan, but if, as I suspect, you lead a more sedentary life, a pod type caravan probably wouldn't suit you.
Are you going to change your towcar and your caravan at the same time?
You have at times expressed great satisfaction with your current towcar so what's brought about the change?
The decision is yours of course, but don't be sucked into spending a lot of money on something that you really don't need.
Normal petrol and diesel vehicles will still be around for years, most probably long after most of us on this forum have either given up because of old age or gone to the great certified location in the sky.
Parksy just looking at different cars I very happy with my current car that is just over three years old had it first MOT and passed with flying colours and i still want to try off road sometime with it we are keeping that for a bit longer when we started out some years ago we owned a Bailey Discovery caravan it was very light weight and the new versions look really good , :)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Examining this from a different angle, we have a government ramming this down our throats at every opportunity. But we are a small Island and the %age of problem gasses that we churn out pale into insignificance to the mega nations that are not getting behind it. Do they really think we can save the planet alone.
But our contribution to global CO2 levels began with the industrial revolution along with other western nations. Our quota was used long ago. Time now for payback. It’s not just HMG what about the other world governments. On a post last year I went into detail re China and how their growth in emmissionsvis reducing. How one city has 14000 EV buses probably more than the world put together. More solar installed capacity, and 46 nuclear stations with more on line. They plan to have emissions reduced by 2030 but most experts believe they will advance on that target as their record tends to be that way. It’s a global problem and we are a part of the global community.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
But our contribution to global CO2 levels began with the industrial revolution along with other western nations. Our quota was used long ago. Time now for payback. It’s not just HMG what about the other world governments. On a post last year I went into detail re China and how their growth in emmissionsvis reducing. How one city has 14000 EV buses probably more than the world put together. More solar installed capacity, and 46 nuclear stations with more on line. They plan to have emissions reduced by 2030 but most experts believe they will advance on that target as their record tends to be that way. It’s a global problem and we are a part of the global community.
However in Africa they will continue to use fossil fuel for many decades as one way to keep warm or cook is to burn coal or firewood. The firewood comes from trees that are chopped down deforesting the area.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
However in Africa they will continue to use fossil fuel for many decades as one way to keep warm or cook is to burn coal or firewood. The firewood comes from trees that are chopped down deforesting the area.
They don’t really have much choice at present. What solution do you think would be best for them? Solar would help. Replanting replacement trees might help but climate change can make indigenous species unsuccessful so other varieties may be required. But effect on other fauna and flora needs checking.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is important to plan, but we must also bear in mind that the status quo is changing. It is almost certain that EV ranges will improve as new developments come to fruition, but the availability and cost of fossil fuels won't stay as low as they are now. As more drivers change to EV's the use of fossil fuels will reduce, and to sustain the same supply infrastructure the oil companies will have to increase prices. Government might also choose to hike fuel tax to encourage (actually it's more like force) people to change to EV's.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I am wondering what will happen with those millions of people around the world employed in the fossil fuel sector as many will become unemployed?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I am wondering what will happen with those millions of people around the world employed in the fossil fuel sector as many will become unemployed?
In any change there are some who loose out, but there will be opportunities in other areas associated with the change to electric and other power technologies, plus other areas of employment. We’ve had change from sail to steam to diesel, horse drawn transport to ICE based transport, coal mining, steel and shipbuilding , robots on car lines,etc but when we now look at it there’s a net shortage of certain worker skills in UK.

Reactions: ProfJohnL

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site

Parksy just looking at different cars I very happy with my current car that is just over three years old had it first MOT and passed with flying colours and i still want to try off road sometime with it we are keeping that for a bit longer when we started out some years ago we owned a Bailey Discovery caravan it was very light weight and the new versions look really good , :)
But you wrote earlier that they have your details and that they will let you know when the version of the Sportage hybrid that you preferred comes in 🤔
From what you had written I formed the impression that you were about to change to a hybrid vehicle.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
But you wrote earlier that they have your details and that they will let you know when the version of the Sportage hybrid that you preferred comes in 🤔
From what you had written I formed the impression that you were about to change to a hybrid vehicle.
Actually no they have a new hybrid 48v auto coming in for motability customer and i could have a look and measure the space but not sit in it the one i had look had gears and clutch i could not get my 6ft 5in . frame in .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You have been told several times now these changes won't happen overnight. We have deadline for when new ICE production stops, but there will still quite a demand from people who already have such vehicles.

We won't all stop using petrol and diesel on the 31st December 2029. In fact Hybrids can still be produced up to 2035 There will still be an ongoing demand but a diminishing one for fossil fuels for decades into the future. Many of the oil companies are getting involved with either wind, solar or other alternatives, so skilled people are likely to have transferable skills or could even retrain into the upcoming technologies. There will be natural wastage as people retire, so its scaremongering to suggest millions of unemployed fossil fuel workers will suddenly hit the streets.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Yes Prof, South Meadows , Belford Northumberland have two EV charging points. The first ones I have ever seen on site. So yes they are coming. Whilst these discussions maybe futile they do stimulate our grey cells 👏. Technology will run hard and a recharge in years to come will probably be no slower than 70 litres of diesel. The stumbling block for most people like me is we are retired . No longer is there a bottomless pit of money to splash out on being “green”.
Not in my time I expect but hey ho what the heck anyway.

Reactions: Parksy
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Actually no they have a new hybrid 48v auto coming in for motability customer and i could have a look and measure the space but not sit in it the one i had look had gears and clutch i could not get my 6ft 5in . frame in .
Will the auto be bigger?🤔🤔

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
But modern cars the space taken by a manual gearbox compared to an auto box is virtually the same. The clutch pedal sits somewhere to the left on a manual or an auto has a footpad. I’m not following your logic on this one.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Not a cheap car but his recharge times for the lengthy journey were impressive. I wonder how much he used the aircon and was the car linked to the caravan’s battery for charging and the fridge on 12v?
A good story and one that proves the two charging points at South Meadows were a wise investment now rather than later.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts