Will the electric car strategy the govement has kill Caravans

Page 5 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I found out an interesting fact.
The stated range dramatically reduces when motorway driving, as the regeneration relied upon to put charge back into the batterys doesn't occur.
How much does it reduce by as there’s a broad estimate that compared to the “tested” published range real world driving reduces that figure by 25-30%. But that’s not much different to ICE cars compared to the “tested”figures.
My car does better at a steady 70 mph on motorways than on busy A roads

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Plenty coming forward. Loads of competition but just having a quick glance through, it would seem that Renault are the ones aiming for the more average family motorist with a Renault 5 starting at about £17,500

John
VW are aiming at an ID2 at around £18000 so it does seem as once the scale of manufacture increased prices will start to parallel ICE car prices.

Last edited:
Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I like the look of the REnault 5 and all of the Korean offerings; look very sleek. Maserati=as you all know I;m a confirmed electric car convert and we love ours but perversely a petrol head too -we also have a diesel to tow and a Mini Roadster S plus 2 motorbikes! I therefore simply cannot imagine a Maserati without that lovely rumbling V8. To me the nicest sounding cars on the road.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I like the look of the REnault 5 and all of the Korean offerings; look very sleek. Maserati=as you all know I;m a confirmed electric car convert and we love ours but perversely a petrol head too -we also have a diesel to tow and a Mini Roadster S plus 2 motorbikes! I therefore simply cannot imagine a Maserati without that lovely rumbling V8. To me the nicest sounding cars on the road.
You would need a switch to power the audio and output a V8 growl. But the wider public would be none the wiser.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Renault gave up on the battery rental model some years ago. And yes drive at m way speeds and drag increases exponentially so you get higher consumption. Same as an ice car .regen doesn't make that much difference but on our mways you'll get plenty of regen opportunities!!!

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Totally agree-more pointless scaremongering or common sense-some will always have to have a day time charge-but those who can will go off peak-Octopus Go currently offer 12-4 charging-at 5p unit-where our money is going if we can get a smart meter!

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
The National Grid has to be managed by someone with the legal authority to do it. The mischievous article was published a good while ago, over the pond and regurgitated recently to sell news in the UK.

p38

Oct 3, 2021
Visit site
I have to say I totally disagree-there are already a handful of very capable electric tow cars. However as above-well out of our pay range at the mo but they'll come down in price-and of course batteries last far longer than anyone was predicting so there'll be a good second hand market. Charge points-well our small local caravan site is already on the case!
Top ten-
Tesla model 3 current software update 1000kg so Bailey Discovery, Eriba, etc
Van based MPVs -all the same under the badge=Citroen espace tourer Vauxhall e vivaro/ Peugeot etraveller-all 1000kg
Audi A4 etron, Skoda Enyaq VW id4 1000kg 200bhp and 300 mile range in the higher powered /pricey versions
Polestar too-pricey but 400bhp and 1500kg towing capacity-NOW WE;'re talking! Look amazing too_Over 300 mile range and 4 wheel drive
Hyundai Ioniq 5 1600kg towing capacity
Kia EV6 as above
Mercedes EQA base model 750kg, more powerful version 1800kg=twin axle territory!
Mercedes EQC-as above
Audi ETron 1800kg
Tesla Model X -I know 80k is a lot of money but we're at the start of this adventure-2268kg tow capacity air suspension 360mile range on some-so 200 towing, and lightening performance. In my mind things look very rosey!
The problem with electric cars is the range ,if towing, cost and there not as green as some people would make out, i dont want to put hours on to my journey when going either to scotland or south to cornwal/devon, electric has its place some where.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The National Grid has to be managed by someone with the legal authority to do it. The mischievous article was published a good while ago, over the pond and regurgitated recently to sell news in the UK.
Not quite. if you look at the date of the article, (29th September 2021) and the reference to present day politicians, and the date the legislation is proposed to become effective on the supply of chargers "As of May 30, 2022", it seems to have provenance.

But as others have already pointed out anyone who is serious about BEV's already knows about teh relative costs of charging periods, so its unlikely to make a big difference to most sensible users.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The problem with electric cars is the range ,if towing, cost and there not as green as some people would make out, i dont want to put hours on to my journey when going either to scotland or south to cornwal/devon, electric has its place some where.

Most people know that using an EV does not resolve all the green issues, but regardless of the penetration of that knowledge across the population, using an EV is still significantly less damaging than using an ICE.
EV's are not the total answer to climate change, but they are part of it, and the more that people reduce their usage of fossil fuels the better - to pinch a phrase - "every little helps"

As the technology matures towing with EV's will become more practical, but in the short term it almost certainly will require a change in mind set about journey times and distances between stops.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Most people know that using an EV does not resolve all the green issues, but regardless of the penetration of that knowledge across the population, using an EV is still significantly less damaging than using an ICE.
EV's are not the total answer to climate change, but they are part of it, and the more that people reduce their usage of fossil fuels the better - to pinch a phrase - "every little helps"

As the technology matures towing with EV's will become more practical, but in the short term it almost certainly will require a change in mind set about journey times and distances between stops.
Certainly driving and towing with an electric car at present can be different to towing with a diesel. But one member if this Forum has shown how he undertook a lengthy journey with a 1500 kg caravan in virtually the same time as in his ICE car. Admittedly he’s not a driver who puts in 4+ hour continuous stints and unhitching the caravan to charge the car may not be acceptable to many. But he has demonstrated on more than one occasion that it works and as Jezzer has said it’s the start of the journey and one where developments are coming rapidly, and affordability’s will improve.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What about noise pollution? The tree huggers will be demanding silence. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
But as i said in my post the noise is in the car and comes via its audio system. Outside there’s nothing unless I guess your audio is on full with windows open. But if you do that they would probably be doing it with hard rock anyway.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
As I see it none of the EV cars on the market at present are up to the job of towing with about 100 miles as the best I have seen . For me this is less than half my towing range and simply not practicable. Time will tell, but I would say 200 miles is about where the idea could be workable.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Tobes already manages more than that in his Polestar-but I grant you price is the issue-we would love a Tesla X which would tow our Buc but even second had they are crazy money at the mo. Hoping the new Ford Lightening or Rivian will be our answer.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As I see it none of the EV cars on the market at present are up to the job of towing with about 100 miles as the best I have seen . For me this is less than half my towing range and simply not practicable. Time will tell, but I would say 200 miles is about where the idea could be workable.
This was posted by Tobes in No new diesel cars after 2030. This is real world experience and Polestar isn’t the only one.

“I already tow with an electric car. I have a Bailey Unicorn S3 Vigo max weight upgrade (MTPLM 1550) and tow it with a Polestar 2. Range wile towing is about 120 to 130 miles. I am on a CL in Whitby while typing this. We are over 200 miles from home. Getting here took maybe 15 mins longer than towing with our ICE car. We stopped twice on the way up, for coffee after 2 hours towing for about 20 mins, and for lunch after another 70 mins towing for 45 mins.
both times of charging we had charged more than we needed before we were done resting.
Charging in the CL is fine. We have a 10a hookup, are charging via the van and will pay for the extra electricity we use when we leave. The future is already here people…”

Admittedly his towing approach is different and doesn’t involve a 4+ hour non stop drive but he’s comparing his like for like experience between ICE and EV

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site

So here we go 300miles stud range nigh on 400with the extra pack, and 139miles added in 20mins. We need the chargers and we need prices to come down. I think/hope they will! And the thing can tow 5 tonnes. So range will be lower with a van but not halved.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

So here we go 300miles stud range nigh on 400with the extra pack, and 139miles added in 20mins. We need the chargers and we need prices to come down. I think/hope they will! And the thing can tow 5 tonnes. So range will be lower with a van but not halved.
Stellantis next generation EV will have city cars at 310 miles and larger cars at nearly 500 miles range. They are rationalising their platforms to three architectures. Their vans and pickups will be based on a ladder frame technology. A case of Back to the Future maybe.
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/peugeot/354798/stellantis-maps-out-future-ev-platforms-497-miles-range

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

With my 3.0l diesel I get 500 or more miles to a tank and it takes less than 10 minutes to refuel. Unfortunately I ma limited to a maximum tow of 3.5 tonnes. Think I will stick with my diesel as it keeps me happy. :ROFLMAO:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts