Will the electric car strategy the govement has kill Caravans

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
But modern cars the space taken by a manual gearbox compared to an auto box is virtually the same. The clutch pedal sits somewhere to the left on a manual or an auto has a footpad. I’m not following your logic on this one.
I have a size 13 shoe and due to medical issues my lower limbs and feet are swollen more often than not, this can impede what most drivers take for granted. When looking at vehicles I have to take a number of physical issues into account which most people do not have to consider, it is about physicality not logic in my case.

Reactions: Hutch
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I have a size 13 shoe and due to medical issues my lower limbs and feet are swollen more often than not, this can impede what most drivers take for granted. When looking at vehicles I have to take a number of physical issues into account which most people do not have to consider, it is about physicality not logic in my case.
One of our members, sadly deceased, had a special disability vehicle fitted with hand controls for throttle and brakes. It was an auto. Maybe that would help? After all Cruise control is a hand throttle!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
One of our members, sadly deceased, had a special disability vehicle fitted with hand controls for throttle and brakes. It was an auto. Maybe that would help? After all Cruise control is a hand throttle!
At present I have the necessary things to enable me to drive the car safely and still enjoy the driving experience. When and if I need further assistance I will deal with this as necessary and discuss with the relevant professionals [including my own doctor] so that I can continue as long as possible.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Not a cheap car but his recharge times for the lengthy journey were impressive. I wonder how much he used the aircon and was the car linked to the caravan’s battery for charging and the fridge on 12v?
A good story and one that proves the two charging points at South Meadows were a wise investment now rather than later.
We use the air con in the car all year so hopefully people with EVs can do the same with draining the battery a lot quicker shortening the distance they can normally travel.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Many EV's do have air con, and the most recent are tending to make the dual phase, meaning not only can the cool by transfering heat from inside to out, but they can be reverse to bring warmth in. this can reduce the battery power needed to heat the car in colder weather.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Many EV's do have air con, and the most recent are tending to make the dual phase, meaning not only can the cool by transfering heat from inside to out, but they can be reverse to bring warmth in. this can reduce the battery power needed to heat the car in colder weather.
It’s surprising how many seem to equate the design and engineering of an EV with the well known ICE vehicles, when in many respects the former are quite different. The designers are very aware of where loads are imposed on the energy system and tackle it accordingly. I use ACC but not all the while, as there are many periods when ACC is required and others when it’s not. Why burn fuel unnecessarily ?

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I don't think an auto will give any more room than a manual - in an auto, the space taken up by the clutch pedal is filled with the wider brake pedal and footrest.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Lest we forget the Economy. EVs at the present time will cost this country dearly in many ways. The CAMC recently commissioned a research paper. It was established that CAMC members alone , using their caravans contribute over £400 million per annum to our Economy. Isolated areas such as North Norfolk would go bust without caravanners. It is argued similar results will emanate from the C&CC members, never mind the non member regime.
Can we afford to be so green🤢🤢
Can we afford not to!

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
You need to include insurance as EVs are often considerably higher than their IC counterpart
Wrong or incomplete info -where did you read that-exactly the same price for our Mini as the ICE version. And cheaper than our JCW Clubman. But of course compare like for like-many EVs are rocket ship fast so may well attract a higher insurance price and some cover flat battery recovery for free so may be more pricey.
Using aircon takes 6 miles off the range of our mini-it is an efficient heatpump system. But of course you can precondition the car on mains before getting in so you get in a cold car that costs no range to get it that way and warm it too. So you get in a car already at a nice temp regardless of weather via remote control-using mains electricity. You won't stop me purporting the many many positives of these cars. Drive one-you'll be amazed. We were.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Wrong or incomplete info -where did you read that-exactly the same price for our Mini as the ICE version. And cheaper than our JCW Clubman. But of course compare like for like-many EVs are rocket ship fast so may well attract a higher insurance price and some cover flat battery recovery for free so may be more pricey.
Using aircon takes 6 miles off the range of our mini-it is an efficient heatpump system. But of course you can precondition the car on mains before getting in so you get in a cold car that costs no range to get it that way and warm it too. So you get in a car already at a nice temp regardless of weather via remote control-using mains electricity. You won't stop me purporting the many many positives of these cars. Drive one-you'll be amazed. We were.
I read your posts on the EV mini with interest as you clearly have a real world comparison with the EV and ICE options and you bought the mini to fulfil a particular requirement. Your experience and updates are far more valuable an insight rather than a car reviewer in a magazine. Plus you provide real world costs too. Thanks

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
It's a pleasure- the spreadsheet is interesting and the data from charger and car too. It amazes me how , just as in ice vehicles a short journey is really inefficient-however because there's no harm to motor or battery that's how we use it-and protect our diesel towcar hopefully from dpf issues with the short runs. Mind you that's not to say longer runs aren't within its reach-wife can reachall her schools in it-we've tried them, with miles to spare and given they've now decided to stop all mileage/petrol claims, instead giving time off in lieu, she'll be quids in with the EV at the mo. I do worry about how road pricing structure will alter as duty on petrol and diesel reduces. Our EV Mini costs £200 to insure for both of us-50 and me 57, our JCW Clubman was £250. SErvicing really annoys me though-there is brake fluid every two years and a pollen filter. That's it for consumables. Yet Mini are still talking £250 ish every other year-now what are they doing for that?!! Father in law's Leaf was worse, £190 yearly for nothing much and extra for the fluid change but of course warranty depended on it (ish-I know you don't have to but...) but Nissan did offer free recovery in the even t of a flat battery within that and breakdown generally while the car was within its 5 year warranty. They also said you could have an ice vehicle for 2 weeks a year for longer trips foc but they may have stopped that now. My lack of experience is generally in the public charge arena-we simply haven't yet needed to-and it's a minefield of faulty chargers and different systems at the mo. It is improving-but slowly. Our only public charge has been the free podpoint at Tescos as we shopped which is really nice but not imo sustainable. I do aim to alter this-am considering a longer trip-Lincoln to the National Car museum Warwick-but need more time and my part time job at the mo is more full time! In the meantime Swmbo and I fight for the EV keys as it's such a hoot to drive. Our alternatives are the tow car-Navara and the Mini Roadster S (184bhp). The EV is as much fun performance wise as the Roadster-but of course a roof off experience is hard to beat. If anyone has any EV questions or doubts am happy to help-but I am really glad someone has already towed a realistically sized/weighted caravan with an EV successfully. Having one and driving one I know the potential is amazing and they'll make better tow cars if range, price and charging can be solved.
I am a total petrol head-always have been -and have 2 motorbikes too which I love-esp the noise they make but that really doesn't stop me being very excited about EVs-and money no object we'd tow with one-Tesla X and I'd ride a Harley Davidson Livewire too!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We stayed at Harbury Fields just off of the Fosse Way. Convenient fir the Motor museum, Warwick and Leamington Spa.
A real shame, that a little CL shut down just round the corner from Gaydon, My son, has now changed to Battery compartment design, for JLR. And I have asked if they do comparison days, ie, bring your own car and drive on their 4x4 track, I think they do.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Harbury Fields is a great site . Lots of FSP. In fact I think, it could be a future Woosie Fest site. Not only is Gaydon close by , so is Stratford upon Avon and the National Motorcycle Museum.

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
I know very little about the subject other than.

Cost of an EV seems plus thousands over fossil fuel
Charging is either std 3 pin (very slow) or 3 phase with additional costs.
Replacement charging leads, basically wire with a plug on each end is absolutely incredibly extortionate!
Watch 2 lads steal one from a car in an Aldi, Im thinking why bother? looked at the replacement cost £439.00,

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I know very little about the subject other than.

Cost of an EV seems plus thousands over fossil fuel
Charging is either std 3 pin (very slow) or 3 phase with additional costs.
Replacement charging leads, basically wire with a plug on each end is absolutely incredibly extortionate!
Watch 2 lads steal one from a car in an Aldi, Im thinking why bother? looked at the replacement cost £439.00,
As I;ve said already-our Mini EV is kitted out and performs as an equivalent to the Cooper S so about parity on price, slow charging at home overnight is very simple if you have a drive of course and rapid charger costs £500 ish if you need one with gov grant-which halves the time generally. RE lost leads the car locks the lead in but some chargers are tethered ie have their own cables so then you have no need to worry-and there are always sadly going to be thefts.

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
I found out an interesting fact.
The stated range dramatically reduces when motorway driving, as the regeneration relied upon to put charge back into the batterys doesn't occur.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Something to look forward to in the relatively near future. New design electric cars being introduced. Something for most people, subject to budget of course.

https://www.drivingelectric.com/new...hVHo2syJcTLaiNk7g6RYYBS2L0iCixT0ozZ6kydngvpYe

Plenty coming forward. Loads of competition but just having a quick glance through, it would seem that Renault are the ones aiming for the more average family motorist with a Renault 5 starting at about £17,500

John

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
Plenty coming forward. Loads of competition but just having a quick glance through, it would seem that Renault are the ones aiming for the more average family motorist with a Renault 5 starting at about £17,500

John
is that with the battery as a rental and an extra cost

TRENDING THREADS