Winter in Cyprus

Apr 25, 2008
Visit site
I have had enough of wet dark and freezing winters in England and Im looking to take up residency in Cyprus for 7 months of the year.The tax breaks on my pensions are a big incentive but its the weather that is the biggest draw,I intend to take my car over but leave the caravan in storage here,I was wandering if anyone has ever driven a car down to Cyprus? and what country they used to get a ferry over to cyprus,we intend to rent an apartment and have one in mind at a very reasonable rent.It would be great to hear from someone who has done this or has the knowledge of how to go about it.

G

Sounds like an excellent idea and if you find a 2nd cheap apartment, let me know.

However, do check your tax status with an accountant before you go. You do not mention if you have a house in the UK, but if you have a residence here then you have to be careful about dates. If you spend 7 months in Cyprus where do you intend to spend the other 5? UK? If so, then I am afraid you will still pay UK tax minus the amount you pay in Cyprus. To be non-resident you can only spend a maximum of 91 days per tax year (April-April) in the UK and you must stay away at least 1 tax year. Telling the tax man you have only spent 90 days here will not do either, you really need to be a lot less than that. Also each trip 1 travel day is counted as being in the UK. To really win this you need to leave a good month or two beforeApril 5th and not come back until well after April 5th next year. You need to aim at 25% or less of your time back in the UK.

If you stay in Cyprus for at least 10 months a year then you would be fine.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Neighbours up the road took their caravan to Cyprus a couple of years ago while there was still a ferry service from Piraeus, Greece to Cyprus. However, I believe there the service has since ceased to operate and the only way you can get your car there is to freight it there. Salamis Lines should be able to help.

There are two campsites that are open all year, one in Limassol and the other near Paphos and about half a dozen others which close in winter.

G

There are ferries to the northern Turkish part, but getting into the south is difficult. Although talks are under way to remove the 'Green Line' I believe it is still very difficult.

It might be easier to leave the car at home and either use public transport, or hire a scooter or car while you are there.

G

Winter temperature graphs for Cyprus may look far better than the UK. Sea temp in winter is higher than UK sea in summer. But Cyprus winters can be very windy and wet and cold, only the very hardy or daft tourists might brave the winter seas on many a winter day. Many a UK B&B owner couple who have wintered in Spain have found Cyprus to be one hell of a shock compared to balmy winter Spanish Costa's or Ballearic's.

We have properties in Cyprus and I would never winter there again, we have plenty of friends on the island both Greek Cypriot and Turkish and Brits. My daughter did our annual inspection in September and found it very pricy compared to her teen years there.

Many many Cypriots are moaning that the Euro is crippling the island and sending prices skywards and ruining the travel industry and islands economy. So don't think it will end up a big cost of living money saver. Also remember that if you live there in Summer you may still be water rashioned in favour of water going to Hotels to keep tourists happy. And it can be VERY hot for months at a time.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Allen,

I don't know whether you are in greek Cyprus or Turkish Cyprus ,but we are looking at a weeks holiday in North Cyprus Kyrenia area ,have you any knowledge of this area and what its like as a holiday destination?We have previuosly stayed in Protaras which was rearly nice.Looking forward to your reply.ManyThanks.Jim

Apr 25, 2008
Visit site
I intend to rent our two bed bungalow for at least two years in suffolk,and have already been offered a two bed apartment at 450 euros a month,the rent we get for our bungalow will more than cover the rent and most of the services in Cyprus,we have stayed at the apartment before its near coral bay up from Paphos

and in summer we intend to return to the uk and tour for five months so we will not be taking up residency or be on the electoral role anywhere.thanks Euro you have given me something to think about as have you Scotch lad.

Jimbob I have never been to the turkish sector but I will be interested to hear how you get on.

thankyou Lutz I will look Salamis up.

thanks Allen

G

Allen. I remember periods of 16 and 20 weeks of no rain in Cyprus in summer. 80 degree nights and 100 degree days. Platres and Troodos and cold beer is the only way to live with it unless you adore scorching heat. Two or three weeks for a tourist may be OK. Your own home to run and relentless heat or throat and airways ripped by aircon can take its toll.

No problem for us seasoned ex pats, Platres/Kato Platres gives a break from summer heat and are easier for living with the Cyprus summers rather than the coast and plains heat.

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Anyone going to Cyprus should be aware that thousands of migrant birds stopping off to refuel in Cyprus are illegally killed on the island. Sticky lime sticks are set on the top of bushes or fences, to trap any bird perching on them or long nets are used to catch birds which fly into the fine mesh. The practice is widespread, but especially in some of the main tourist areas such as Paralimni, Protaras and Ayia Napa.

If you happen to come across this awful sight, as we have done several times whilst birdwatching, with birds stuck and flapping on lime sticks or struggling in nets, you are advised not to interfere yourself, as this might provoke retaliation by the scum that set these things, but report it as soon as possible to the Game Service (who are the government department responsible for prosecuting bird trappers) or the nearest Police Station.

These are the telephone numbers I had for reporting bird trapping, but even if they have changed, it's the Game Service you need to contact or the police:

Paralimni, Protaras, Ayia Napa, Larnaca - Game Service 09-445808

Limassol District - Game Service 09-628338

We love Cyprus and lived there for several years, but this is the dark side of the holiday island. The Cyprus Conservation Foundation are doing their best to educate schoolchildren in the ways of conservation, but for many older Cypriots this is a way of life, but please bear in mind that this goes on and for the sake of the thousands of birds that are killed in this way every year, report anything you come across.

G

M O W I take it that you never crunched the head of BBQ'd birds as guest of honour at a locals celebratory Meze meal ;-)

The "mist nets" were the most shocking, usual response for ripping them down was both barrels from a locals shotgun.

And that hurts! I can assure you :)

But it has been going on for generation after generation and the birds come every year.

I learnt that its best to keep out of local ways.

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Trapping birds using lime sticks started a long time ago as a means of supplementing a poor peasant diet. This is no longer relevant in the 21st Century.

Trappers who do this illegal killing nowadays claim it is 'traditional practice', when in fact they earn money from selling the dead birds on the black market, especially Blackcaps, regarded by some as a delicacy and called Ambelopoulia.

In recent times the trappers have been using extremely long mist nets, with loud speakers to lure migrating birds down and the old bird lime has been replaced with a more durable synthetic glue on the lime sticks.

Conservationists have estimated the number of birds killed each year at 12 million. The trapping is indiscrimate and species like Owls, birds of prey, Shrikes etc. etc. are being killed in large numbers, many of which are already threatened on a European scale.

Thankfully, the authorities at last seem to be taking action and the penalty for anyone found trapping birds is a hefty fine and/or imprisonment. The Cyprus Tourism Organisation knows that many people are travelling to Cyprus from other countries specifically see the migration through the island on birdwatching holidays. All our Cypriot friends abhor the killing of so many birds, which is unsustainable.

G

In Mediterranean countries it has been estimated that 500 million birds are netted and caught with limes sticks etc.

If M O W's figures are correct Cyprus accounts for around 2.4 percent of the kill. So that leaves a fair number of other places to be wary of.

Not good I know, but check out the population numbers for Cyprus and you soon realise that more than a few eat migrating birds!

Sorry M O W but despite living in Cyprus, Cyprus morals and ways are very different to UK ways. Laws agreed by Cyprus government with others are not always respected by the people, many who say they despise and dislike local practices are paying lip service to more western European sensitivities.

The turn of a blind eye paid for with a back hander is still very acceptable on the island. They may have joined the EU but Brits moving there should be aware that everything is not as clean and clear cut as in the UK and nearer neighbouring countries.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts