Winter Skiing caravan trip france

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We fancy a winter skiing trip to France, Le Grand Bornand (or other if advised must be family for beginers) we have a modern van but have no experience of winter holidaying

Any advise on:

Ferry or tunnel

Road conditions, chains required?

Water and gas freezing

Gas consumption in these conditions or anything elese that could be a problem.

cheers

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Rob

We have stayed here a couple of times but only in early Summer. I did chat to a Dutch guy on site and he did visit at Christmas and said he did need chains for car and caravan!! As far as gas is cincerned make sure you take propane and ideally 2x6kgs, otherwise you will have to buy locally and that will require a different regulator unless you have a 2004 van with the fixed one, then you just need a joining flexible pipe.

David

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Rob,

Can recommend the campsite at Bourg St Maurice. Road from Calais to Bourg St Maurice is motorway all the way and usually well cleared of snow. That campsite gives you access to the Paradiski ski area - the second largest in the world. You will need snow chains from the campsite to the ski resorts (approx 20 - 30 mins drive)if the roads are snow covered. The power supply (limited amps)may not be sufficient to heat and light your caravan so I take 3 x 13 kg bottles of propane (red bottles) for cooking and heat in the morning / evening and leave on the caravan electric heater during the day and through the night. I have installed a water connection in the toilet so I can plug off my external water connection and put my aquaroll in the shower tray to prevent freezing. I also add a little antifreeze to the toilet flush. Use your bottom lockers with the blown air ducts to dry gloves hats etc. Campsite has a drying room for jackets etc. There is a large supermarket opposite the campsite for food and supplies. You will need to book the camsite as it is nearly always full. Have a great time !!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rob. We are also planning a skiing holiday in the caravan for the first time. We are looking at Camping Jungfrau in Switzerland. We know the area very well having stayed there numerous times but never before in the caravan. I am not too worried about road conditions or getting to the site as we will be equipped with snow chains and I have noted on our previous visits that the Swiss locals do an excellent job of keeping the roads clear. Propane gas is a must. My main concerns are finding out how best to protect the caravan's water system. I would appreciate any advice anyone can offer on how to install a water connection in the caravan's toilet, how easy is this and what equipment do you need

? Is this essential when caravanning in these conditions or can I manage without it and what are the alternatives? Also how do you plug off the external water connection.

Regards

Tim

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts