Winter storage

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Does anyone have any advice or tips for storing a caravan over the winter months? My caravan will be outside in a secure compound. Should I lower the feet down and raise the tyres to avoid flat spots?

Thanks,

Lee (New to caravanning)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have read many times that raising the tyres during long storage periods is adviseable. I have also read that this must NOT be accomplished by raising the corner steadies as they are not capable of taking the full weight of the caravan. It would appear that axle stands are need and the wheels need to be removed.

Personally we just go along to the storage facility and move the caravan a foot or so every month.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Try: www.caravan-sitefinder.co.uk/ features/storage/cennorth.php If nothing there try typing "caravan storage manchester UK" into Google and see what you get.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We store our caravan from October until easter each year & have never had any problems with flat spots on the tyres. My tips would be as follows: Drain all your water systems (open the taps first) to prevent ice forming & cracking the plastic shower head etc. Also remove the crystal filter if you have one to prevent ice cracking the housing ( both things happened to us over our first winter in store ! ). Disconnect your battery ( leaving it connected can still run it flat ). Open your fridge door ( to prevent mould growth )& draw your curtains to keep the sun from fading your upholstery ( don't leave the blinds down, as this will stretch the recoil springs & they won't go up very well ). Last but not least, if you have a dedicated pitch at the storage site, get to know your neighbours each side so you can look out for each others caravans when you visit.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Please help me, I live on the coast of north east scotland and am subject to some extreme weather. We just bought 92 Avondale leda Grampian, and were told by vendor not to cover as this only harms the caravan. But im not sure about this. Please all you experienced caravaners what would you recommend?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Over the last 2 years we have used the AA 3 times. Now before you say "Well, as a Land Rover owner what do you expect?" The first time was when I filled it with unleaded (it's a diesel). The second time was when the wife filled it with unleaded. (Boy, did that make me feel good). The third time was last week when the rear universal joint gave in in Manchester. We live a hundred miles away in Barrow. The AA came out with a transported, and the very, very nice man loaded us up, saying he would take us to Forton services, where we would be swapped to another truck, as he would be out of his driving hours. All very good. Now, as an AA member you are entitled to free 24 car hire. When I enquired about this they said I could have Smart Car. As I needed transport for three adults, I declined. Now it gets interesting. When the AA man asked if I'd taken up the hire car I explained why we hadn't. He then said that he thought wqe could pay a bit extra and get a larger car, and he would arrange it. This he did, and told us we could get a Polo for

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts