90 Day in 180 days limit on travel in EU

Page 5 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Travelling to and from the continent over the years I have noticed that the checks are far from consistent. They seem to change from year to year. But, it always appears to me that the UK side is most consistent, professional and thorough.

I realise that impression is only based on superficial observation. But I have often heard people say, that they don’t think the French really bother as the UK has done all the work.

Perhaps, after Brexit, continental ports will need to up their game.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Travelling to and from the continent over the years I have noticed that the checks are far from consistent. They seem to change from year to year. But, it always appears to me that the UK side is most consistent, professional and thorough.

I realise that impression is only based on superficial observation. But I have often heard people say, that they don’t think the French really bother as the UK has done all the work.

Perhaps, after Brexit, continental ports will need to up their game.

John
The French based in Dover and Folkestone have always checked our passports on departure. But at De Gaulle the inbound checks were quite cursory. But certainly UK inbound and outbound don’t tend to wave you through.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I see that the Animal Health Certificate will cost £93.50 each time you take your dog ( or ferret) abroad. Along with the rabies jab every three years and the return medications Scotland looks ever more attractive, midges or no midges. I’m glad at nearly 14 years my two Springers overseas jaunts are over.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i am in total agreement otherclive i will not be paying £93.50 for (Animal health Certificate) per dog for every time you go abroad .
But saying that they don"t come with us anyway ..

Apr 2, 2020
Visit site
Does anyone have an idea of when we are allowed to travel by road across the Channel to France & Spain? I have written to Kent police to enquire if we will be stopped prior to boarding a ferry or Eurotunnel but they have not replied

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone have an idea of when we are allowed to travel by road across the Channel to France & Spain? I have written to Kent police to enquire if we will be stopped prior to boarding a ferry or Eurotunnel but they have not replied

What world are you living in. Your best approach is to look at HMG and French Government websites for up to date information. When we asked last week about taking our granddaughter to Wales to stay with our son Wiltshire Police hadn’t a clue. And the best we got from Wales was” it would be a pretty miserable policeman who fined you in those circumstances””

Don’t bank on going anytime soon unless you meet the specific criteria. Stay and enjoy lockdown 3.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
i am in total agreement otherclive i will not be paying £93.50 for (Animal health Certificate) per dog for every time you go abroad .
But saying that they don"t come with us anyway ..
Is that not the price for the First Health certificate and the Rabies vaccinnation and certificate.
I wonder if the certification of Health to travel, can be certified into the old pets passport in the area supplied. ?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Is that not the price for the First Health certificate and the Rabies vaccinnation and certificate.
I wonder if the certification of Health to travel, can be certified into the old pets passport in the area supplied. ?

The old pet passport is effectively dead. The Animal Health Certificate must be issued no more than 10 days before departure and is valid for 4 months. But with the 90/180 rule that would not be in conflict.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The old pet passport is effectively dead. The Animal Health Certificate must be issued no more than 10 days before departure and is valid for 4 months. But with the 90/180 rule that would not be in conflict.
The old passport is still valid, as animals already vaccinated and certified in it is still valid. New ones are not allowed. But new health certificates to travel are needed. Its very complex.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
OC, I have been onto our vet today, asking about this new Health Certificate. A couple of yearsago, When I had to get a New passport for Rex, as it was full, The Vet said he would have to try and find the papers as they were archived, but as I had the original passport with the rabies test dates and batch numbers etc he would sign the new passport.
Without the old pets Passport how will a vet know about the rabies date and batch numbers etc, especially if you have moved house and a new vet.
Its not going to be easy.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
OC, I have been onto our vet today, asking about this new Health Certificate. A couple of yearsago, When I had to get a New passport for Rex, as it was full, The Vet said he would have to try and find the papers as they were archived, but as I had the original passport with the rabies test dates and batch numbers etc he would sign the new passport.
Without the old pets Passport how will a vet know about the rabies date and batch numbers etc, especially if you have moved house and a new vet.
Its not going to be easy.
Thanks. I’ve got both our dogs passports, but as they are nearly 14 years old we don’t plan to take them again. As their radius of action gradually reduces we can enjoy ourselves here.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
After much deliberation, tonight I have sent back my E movis , tag for the French payages. It was about to be replaced with a new one, on date, I have looked at things and have decided that we will not bother going over to Europe in the caravan. With covid and the exchange rate, we have decided to give Europe a miss, for many years.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
After much deliberation, tonight I have sent back my E movis , tag for the French payages. It was about to be replaced with a new one, on date, I have looked at things and have decided that we will not bother going over to Europe in the caravan. With covid and the exchange rate, we have decided to give Europe a miss, for many years.
Likewise we wouldn’t plan to go until we have no dogs, but still look forward to some visits either self catering, Bb or hotels but the mobiles are on some nice sites too. But could we remain dog less as what motivates you to go out for a walk in rubbish weather ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The fact is no one knows at this stage.

Look how many twists and turns this pandemic has caused so far, and it is far from over.

Even if any one country manages to get C19 fully under control, look at how may still haven't managed it, and until there is (I believe) about 85% demonstrated immunity in all populations the likelihood of seeing international travel restrictions reduced is very low, especially as new strains are cropping up, and most countries do not want to have any new strains imported across their borders.

Even if you have been vaccinated or have gained immunity by recovering from the infection, there is now a confirmed probability that even those with immunity can continue to spread the virus.

Also bear in mind our bodies take about 3 weeks after vaccination to develop any effective immunity to the virus.

I would suggest that unless your international travel is essential, don't make plans. (Wanting a holiday is not essential)

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts