AA Caravan Insurance

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi there, am in the process of obtaining quotes for our caravan. Does anyone have experience of dealing with the AA as an insurance provider, or can anyone recommend a good middle of the road priced insurer ... had many quotes and the prices are varying from £285 year to nearly £465 a year!!!! Thanks Lisa.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks TonyG - am waiting for a reply from them and our Dealer recommended them. It's so confusing as we are new to this and I don't want to go too cheap, but don't want to pay over the odds. Will see what their quote is. Lisa.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi Red Mick - that is good as the Caravan Club have turned out to be one of the most expensive too date ... but maybe as we're not yet members? Our caravan is just over a year old so I expect the premium to be higher as we would like new for old ...

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Just renewed mine, being a man of liesure i have plenty of time to shop around each year.I have been caravanning 39 years and i think i have been with most companies during this time.Last year i was with Towergate but this time Caravanguard beat them by £59.Belonging to both caravan clubs i always get quotes from them but they have not come near the best quotes for the last few years.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Whilst price comparisons are inevitable, the main comparison should be across the detailed level of cover, compared to your needs.
There's no point paying for cover you don't need but more importantly there's no value in paying less if it gives less cover.
Measured against my own needs I've never found any of the alternatives to Caravan Club have enough cover - so any any cost saving is artificial.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I posted a thread in the insurance section of this website. CC website is now very good for quick quotes and they are far more competitive than they were. I checked CC, Caravan Guard, C&CC and Saga. I will be going with Saga as they were the cheapest by some margin on their silver cover (not new for old) and I do not have to pay for continental cover which I don't need this year. All four have good reviews for response if the worst comes to happen!

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Towergates last year and CC for about 6 years prior to that CCC this year was the best deal. Have found as well as an asside that I rarely renew with the same company for the car anymore

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Moderators Note:
Dustydog also added a helpful post but unfortunately it was submitted just after a spam post.
Moderators routinely delete spam and ban the spammer but unfortunately the anti-spam reporting procedure often means that legitimately submitted subsequent posts also disappear.
Fortunately I remembered to copy Dustydog's post
smiley-smile.gif

Dustydog said:
A word of warning Lisa.
A lot of the Insurers involved in Caravan Insurance are sticklers for the small print when a claim ocurrs. They will have recorded all your calls to their office and if they find you have deliberately or accidentally failed to disclose something about storage for example your claim will fail.
Cheap is not the best.
In fact it is well documented and supported on this and other Forums that whilst the CC and the C&CC may sometimes be dearer , their policies tend to ofer wider cover an dthere appears to be more "leniency" at claim time. Just be certain that whoever you choose both you and they fully understand all the material facts and requirements of the small print and agreed security arrangements.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Further to the very sound advice and recommendations already given, both the CC and the C&CC quotes should be used as the benchmark from which to compare other policies, whatever the price.
Price obviously plays a part in decisions regarding insurance but a good policy is measured by what happens in the unfortunate event of a claim.
Peace of mind can be worth more than money as we discovered when our brand new 3 month old Abbey 495 was written off in floods some 4 years or so back.

Every tourer on the riverside site was written off when the Avon burst it's banks but while others were waiting, worrying and wondering if their insurers would pay out, and how much they'd get, the loss adjuster from our insurers (C&CC Clubcare) met us at the site within a couple of days in his wellies. He declared our brand new caravan a total loss, arranged for it to be removed from the site and within a fortnight the C&CC Clubcare forwarded their cheque for the loss of our goods, awning, tv etc and gave us the go ahead to pop along to our dealers and choose a brand new replacement caravan.
We were heartbroken to see our new caravan written off but the C&CC didn't make a fuss, our stress levels were negligible compared to others and they were (and still are) a pleasure to deal with.
That's the mark of a good insurance policy!

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Been with a few insurers over the years. I would agree with other comments about being sure exactly what is covered and in what circumstances. Check also what security devices the company insists on and what their policy says regarding storage when not in use, I remember one member posting on here about a caravan normally kept in storage, brought to house for overnight stay prior to early holiday departure next morning and being stolen. Insurer was not for paying out as it was not in storage as stated in policy, don't know how that one eventually panned out.
For the past few years I have been with the Caravan Club, as others have said maybe not the cheapest but good solid cover. In over 25 years I have only ever made one claim on my caravan insurance, that was with the Caravan Club and it was dealt with swiftly and without fuss.
Some years ago I had a chat with the owner of my local caravan dealership, he said that whenever they have any damaged vans in their workshop for insurance work they prefer it if the insurers are the Caravan Club as authorisation for repairs seems to go through smoothly compared to other insurers. I have no doubt the C.C. & C will be similar.

Cheapest is not always best but I do appreciate that costs do come into the equation.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
What Ball!!??!!?? Where????!!!???
I have to confess that I'd been out shopping earlier today when the spam appeared and Sprocket tipped me off via email
smiley-embarassed.gif

..........I'd have seen it in the end though - eventually!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts