Andouille sausage

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Is there anywhere in the UK that one can buy the French Andouille sausage? Sister in law wants to buy some as someone mentioned to her that it is a great tasting sausage. There is a low chance of us being able to go to France in Sept, but we will not know until about April. LOL!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It’s one of the global delicacies that I really don’t enjoy. It’s pork, tripe and gut bits, plus other herbs and spices. Let us know what your SiL thinks about it. Has she upset someone recently?

Last edited:
Reactions: JTQ
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
You can always rely on the French to turn the most useless part of a carcass into a “delicacy”. And charge top price🙈😝

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You can always rely on the French to turn the most useless part of a carcass into a “delicacy”. And charge top price🙈😝
The US ones are almost eatable as they don’t go for such extreme parts of the pig as the French do.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The US ones are almost eatable as they don’t go for such extreme parts of the pig as the French do.
I believe that the US bans the use of offal in food products - it is/was illegal to export haggis to the US but I think they've got round that now.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
One of those food "delicacies" it is way better not knowing quite what your eating, the knowledge gained has resulted it me steering well clear these days.

Are couriers averse to transporting them like say used Lithium technology batteries, too dangerous?

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
My grandfather grew up in a butchers shop and flatly refused to eat sausage as he'd seen what went into them! I love decent sausages, there's a butcher near me that does all manner of flavours, I always buy a few but I don't ask what went into them.............

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My grandfather grew up in a butchers shop and flatly refused to eat sausage as he'd seen what went into them! I love decent sausages, there's a butcher near me that does all manner of flavours, I always buy a few but I don't ask what went into them.............
I venture to guess that your grandfather wouldn’t drink “ mild” in the pub🍺

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I agree that in yesterday no way would one eat the sausage if you saw how it was made, but I guess that today if they tried that there would be severe repercussions?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I agree that in yesterday no way would one eat the sausage if you saw how it was made, but I guess that today if they tried that there would be severe repercussions?
Our Local butcher has been in his shop since 1958. He still sells Bath Chaps, Tripe, homemade black pudding , Ox Cheeks , cures his own bacon. He has 5* on the Food Hygiene ratings. Go to a Michelin Star Restaurant and you will see some form of tripe, slow braised in red wine ox cheek, various offal things , all a gastronomic delight to fleece you of your hard earned cash🤪

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our Local butcher has been in his shop since 1958. He still sells Bath Chaps, Tripe, homemade black pudding , Ox Cheeks , cures his own bacon. He has 5* on the Food Hygiene ratings. Go to a Michelin Star Restaurant and you will see some form of tripe, slow braised in red wine ox cheek, various offal things , all a gastronomic delight to fleece you of your hard earned cash🤪
I cannot stand tripe and it was £force fed" to us when we were kids and it was regarded as a "treat", but my grand mother was a French Huguenot descendant!
In my opinion the only thing tripe is good for is for the dogs and then it has to be unclean. :LOL:

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
'Chitterlings ' are sold on Gt Yarmouth market - or used to be, as are delicious chips.
Once overheard a couple of lads - both with portions of chips, and one had some of the aforesaid 'orrible pigs guts on his.
" Don't understand why you have that disgusting muck on your chips "
"Well it stops you nicking mine" replied the other !

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone tried pig's trotters?
Yes from when I was a kid and probably about five years ago I had a couple. My gran used to cook them, and I would also go to the butchers to collect her sheep’s head order. When students in Cardiff we regularly ate heart, tripe, liver, kidneys and sheep brains. In the city market we would buy our meat, and as a treat for the cat and dog we would buy “ lights” and mince some up to add to a ****** dish.

PS fagg*t dish.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My wife is Indian (UK born to Indian parents) and makes pigs trotter soup, doesn't sound very appealing but tastes fantastic!
I am very surprised that she deals at all with pigs as none of my Indian friends will touch anything to do with pork. I like the lamb curried sausages they used to make as absolutely delicious. At least we had curry one of the proper ways with goat meat.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Pigs trotters are an essential ingredient of all home made pork pies. Not for the meat but the gelatin mix poured over the pork meat within the pie. The dogs had the cooked trotters . The jelly you see in the pork pie comes from the trotter

Reactions: Challenger
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I am very surprised that she deals at all with pigs as none of my Indian friends will touch anything to do with pork. I like the lamb curried sausages they used to make as absolutely delicious. At least we had curry one of the proper ways with goat meat.
I think you are mistaking Indian, for Muslim,

Reactions: GaryB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think you are mistaking Indian, for Muslim,
Not at all as I lived in the largest Indian community outside India and they were mostly a mixture of religions. I don't think Hindu eat port either, but unsure. I think the reason is because in the old days pork would turn very quickly and could not be eaten whether cooked or not.

You can cook meat like beef and venison where the meat is rotting and maggots have been washed off. Although the meat has turned, you can eat it and have no ill effects, but you cannot reheat it. After all I think they do similar with pheasant?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We are treading on dodgy ground here. The pig , the cow and the sheep , never mind the dog and cat , depending on your religious belief are either tabu or ok to munch.QED.

Reactions: GaryB and Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hutch in a word by our standards these sausages are full of crap. Not Crepe🤪🤪 struck off🙈🙈
We were in Chablis, Fr. and the Wednesday market was serving the Award winning Andouille Sausage. Sorry Oh, just not to my taste buds. Rex refused a piece, but Harry woofed it down, eventually. Restaurants, in Chablis , didn't sell it , so that tell us something.
Lovely caravan site just on the outside of the village.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
All of her family eat pork but a lot of them don’t eat beef. I think a lot depends on religious background etc. to be honest a lot of them are vegetarian.

Reactions: Buckman

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts