Calor Gas - Shortage!

Page 6 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thank you, very happy, but sadly not there yet, almost empty front locker but still over 100kgs. Only option now is to add weight in the back under the bed. I can't help feeling the axle should be further forward !
Mine is nose heavy. Only ever carried one Calorlite plus a few bits of wood for steadies in the front locker. Nothing goes under or on the front seating area apart from two lightweight chairs at 10 kg total. All other payload goes over or behind axle and towards the rear of the caravan. I’ve not had any concerns towing.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
What shortage?

Those were the words I heard yesterday in Devon. We had been out to Tarr steps for a walk and on the way back stopped at a village tearoom. Across the road was a Post office with a stack of both full and empty Calor inc lites. I went over to the shop just to ask how they found supplies and told them of the caravanners dilema. They had no inkling of a shortage and had no interruption in supply.

Reactions: Hutch
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
What shortage?

Those were the words I heard yesterday in Devon. We had been out to Tarr steps for a walk and on the way back stopped at a village tearoom. Across the road was a Post office with a stack of both full and empty Calor inc lites. I went over to the shop just to ask how they found supplies and told them of the caravanners dilema. They had no inkling of a shortage and had no interruption in supply.
Thats because no one goes to that part of Devon normally, Tarr steps where is it? I live here and never heard of it, oh well off to Google me!!

EDIT: Found Them
Tarr Steps 1.jpg

Thinkl I have heard of them, dont they keep getting washed away in stormy conditions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thingy and RogerL
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Well, they are nearly in Devon, isnt that good enough for you perfectionists ☺
And last time there was a major flood they were in Devon.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Thats because no one goes to that part of Devon normally, Tarr steps where is it? I live here and never heard of it, oh well off to Google me!!

EDIT: Found Them
View attachment 1775

Thinkl I have heard of them, dont they keep getting washed away in stormy conditions.
I have never heard of Tarr steps where about are they in Devon and like someone says google then i will know :)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Once the first FLUSH of purchases has completed the supply CHAIN eventually catches up as people aren’t suddenly going to use more than they normally do. A bit like the shortage of toilet rolls at Lockdown 1. 🧻🧻🧻🧻

• Haha
Reactions: Buckman
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I got a 6kg refill for £26 and the guy said no problem getting supplies as long as people have got an empty but can only do like for like, I’ve recently been given a full 13.5 kg propane patio gas which I probably won’t ever use as I’ve already bought the small patio gas I think it’s a 4.5 kg and that’s for my cadac, I don’t fancy lugging the 13.5 round for the Cadac so I had a quiet word with local calor dealer where I got my 6kg from and he said once the shortage is over he will give me a full 6 k propane for a straight swop for it FOC, that will be much more use.

BP

Reactions: Hutch
Jun 30, 2021
Visit site
A few weeks late but i went to purchase a 7kgs calor bottle on Thursday from a local caravan accessory supplier. They told me i had not a hope in hell but they could put me on their waiting list. Calor have reported a national shortage of bottles and have cancelled their contracts with their distributors. My accessory supplier have 300 bottles on order but receive two deliveries a week of only about 3 or 4 bottles! I purchased one from Marketplace on facebook.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A few weeks late but i went to purchase a 7kgs calor bottle on Thursday from a local caravan accessory supplier. They told me i had not a hope in hell but they could put me on their waiting list. Calor have reported a national shortage of bottles and have cancelled their contracts with their distributors. My accessory supplier have 300 bottles on order but receive two deliveries a week of only about 3 or 4 bottles! I purchased one from Marketplace on facebook.
I guess that has mentioned previously it has to do with the deposit you pay and the pittance they give you back when you return the bottle. The issue is that initially you may get a brand new bottle and then when you do the exchange you get a bottle that is scratched with paint peeling off. Not your fault that when you return the bottle to get back a deposit that it is "damaged".

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I guess that has mentioned previously it has to do with the deposit you pay and the pittance they give you back when you return the bottle. The issue is that initially you may get a brand new bottle and then when you do the exchange you get a bottle that is scratched with paint peeling off. Not your fault that when you return the bottle to get back a deposit that it is "damaged".

The deposit isn't worth much anyway and isn't worth losing sleep over. Many folks probably don't even know where their agreement is, or if they bought caravan with bottles installed they may not even have received or knew about the rental procedure. Must say though that I have never received a Calor bottle that wasn't in good external condition when I put mine in for exchanges.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
A Calor Gas stocklist still got them in where i live just ring them up and arrange a time and take my empty one for a exchange

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
It’s worth reposting this regarding Buckman’s earlier point about a “new” cylinder.

This is a direct extract from Calor’s own website. Hope this answers all questions.
Also there is the British Compressed Gases Association. Well worth a read. I believe Calor are an accredited member and do their own testing??

Gafferbill summed it all up most succinctly👏👏👍👍

What is the Calor 7 point safety check on cylinders?

1. The shell of each cylinder is visually inspected as it enters the filling area.
  2. The base of each cylinder is visually inspected.
  3. The valve and the tare disc retest date of each cylinder is visually inspected.
  4. The gasket of each cylinder is inspected/replaced as required.
  5. The cylinder is leak tested as it goes though the filling process
  6. The valve is leak tested after the filling process
  7. The weight of the filled cylinder is rechecked at the end of the filling process.
Assuming a cylinder passes the above tests, it is then sealed/clipped to indicate that it has been filled safely and has passed our safety and quality checks.
If a cylinder fails inspection at any point, it is set aside for further inspection. It is then either sent to our refurbishment plant or degassed and destroyed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts