Caravan Club breaking news...

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
I think its sad that the powers that be have seen fit to ditch the distinctive logo / pennant. I can't image the likes of Mercedes, BMW, Ford and many other manufactures tossing their brand identities away like this. Their Marketing Team perhaps recruited from the same source as their Web Team...

You have to suspect that this refresh has been brought about primarily by a need to overcome other failings, such as the over proliferation of hard standing leading to the car park look, the website fiasco, the constant booking issues and so on. perhaps too many former members have become disillusioned

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
just received my letter abnd stickers which have gone the way of all other stickers.
No one seems to have told the post room of the change of name as the envelope still says Caravan Club although the letter itself shows the new title and logo , stiill must not complain too much if they save MY subscription by using up old stock.

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
Just got in and found the new stickers in the post.

I do wonder if it would have been better to have asked members about the re-brand, given the not inconsiderable cost to implement it. Just on the postage / printing alone that has to be £2 rebate on the membership fees. The signage etc on sites won't be value either. The CC sent an email last Friday wishing us a happy holiday. Twice last week emails about the NEC show. Nothing about the re-brand until I saw it on here and today's junk mail. I can only think that as a member they used the CC envelopes so as not to go straight in file b for bin as an envelope with an unrecognised branding would normally be subject to!!

That the CC/camc wotever seem to be run by politically correct types that have no comprehension of the mix of folk in this world that any normal folk recognise without the need for their diversity gibberish to be rammed down our throats. The old adage 'travel broadens the mind', as in touring at home and abroad appears to have gone 747 (over their heads as in aeroplane).

Just for a mickey take I'll put the camc (auto corrects to camp btw on a Macbook) stickers in the caravan and car for our trip to the CC/camc site at Baltic Wharf on Friday and see how many members notice them? Do we look for the CC or camc signs in Brizzle?

It's bonkers. But then if the chairperson (he stills signs himself mysogynically as chairman) can pull the rear off of a caravan in the debacle of carry on caravanning, there is room for a sequel called 'carry on caravan and motor homing', god forbid :p Where's the wedgwood? :p

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I would like to think that we are all the same be it a caravanner or a motor home owner, personally I would of liked to see a bit of consultation on the rebranding of the club and why was this not raised at the last AGM of the CC and we could all have a vote just like Brexit :p

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The new logo is pathetic and meaningless although I have no objection to the name change. The pennant should have been kept, it just needed the new name adding.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
New logo reminds me of the one used by a well known ice cream company,perhaps all is not lost though, was it Royal Mail who changed their name and brand and then changed back was it Consignia ?

May 24, 2014
Visit site
If it is true that this has been done because of a percieved need to include the motorgnomes, how come our thoughts, the caravanners of the Caravan Club didnt have a voice. Surely a club should consider all its members.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
EDIT NOTE
I posted this before i saw Thingy's post.

Raywood said:
I would say it is still a club as a business run for the benefit of members on a basis of reinvesting profits in its services altbough given its sheer size it does have to be run on business principles.

Hello Ray,

If the CC is run for the benefit of its members, then surely the membership should have been consulted about the change?

Its a business run for the benefit of the business.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I can just imagine the expense of changing all the signs at every CC site and CL plus anything that carried the old CC logo,

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
We are members of the Motorhome club and the C&CC, for the few quid it cost each month it is worth it I suppose although we rarely use the Motorhome club sites. To our way of thinking the Motorhoming club have become primarily geared for retired couples in motorhomes. Simple things like not being able to book a specific pitch number in advance puts us off; we have to wait until after school has finished on a Friday before we set off, by the time we get to a site we find that all of the plumb pitches have been hogged by the retired motorhomers and we are left looking around for the ones that no one else wants. Even in mid winter we find that we are the only family in a caravan with children, the rest are retired motorhomers. Maybe this is the way that the business is being run and they are looking to dissuade caravans; maybe they will eventually become the motorhome club.
As has been mentioned several times before the red pennant was iconic, something I remember from my childhood. Not sure why you would want to lose that.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
I understand that 40% of members are motor home owners. Does that mean 60% aren't ?
Referendum win?
I don't think so! -- 48% couldn't keep us in the EU.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
EDIT NOTE
I posted this before i saw Thingy's post.

Raywood said:
I would say it is still a club as a business run for the benefit of members on a basis of reinvesting profits in its services altbough given its sheer size it does have to be run on business principles.

Hello Ray,

If the CC is run for the benefit of its members, then surely the membership should have been consulted about the change?

Its a business run for the benefit of the business.

Hi Prof. On their forum the club do say that there was a survey done, I think it was part of the panel ones they used to run. Not sure a full survey of members could be justified by the cost but to be honest I do not see it as a problem. The name is OK but the logo is abysmal, it could represent anything, and looks more like a couple of car makers ones than anything else.

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I can't believe the cost that has and will be involved in the loss of the the Red Pennant logo. A change of name perhaps could be more inclusive particularly if it included trailer tents, camper vans and pop up trailers. I could go on. But to lose the Red Pennant and have the cost to change all signs, wardens clothing, etc etc etc seems madness to me. If the members had been given a competition to come up with a new logo I am sure that they would have found something based upon the old logo without throwing out the old logo completely I also worry that CLs may suffer. The old logo was easy to spot, who is going to recognise the new one. They have also managed to change the logo on my phone app without my permission. Rant over.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Hilarious. Site we're staying on has been sent a large pennant shaped flag today. Wardens wondering when the flag pole will be posted out. :whistle:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Seems to me that whoever voted for this change didn't understand what they were voting for,plainly they did not understand what the change would mean, is it time for us all to rise up and get the decision reversed?

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
And another thing, the guy who parks his £65000 motor home behind me at the storage compound only used it twice last year, motorhome owners must have more money than sense, :)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
camel said:
And another thing, the guy who parks his £65000 motor home behind me at the storage compound only used it twice last year, motorhome owners must have more money than sense, :)

Hello Camel,
I know of some caravan owners who do much the same, in fact there are some who have spent a small fortune on a caravan three years ago and who have never used it!

I personally cannot see the problem, I do not bother me what anyone uses to have a holiday in, provided they are reasonable and socially aware about not infringing other people's dignity and right to spend their leisure time as the wish.

So the CC want to rebrand, In reality Caravanners, and motorhomers have almost identical desires and needs and they face similar restrictions a prejudices, So what is wrong with this new expansion of its customer base. As a larger operator it will have stronger lobbying weight to protect our common interests from the creeping legislation which often works against us.

Whats in a name? Government departments change names all the time and cost us a small fortune in taxes.

Feb 23, 2017
Visit site
Gabsgrandad said:
When is a caravan not a caravan? -- Apparently when it's got an engine!
What a waste of money! - Who are the clowns making these decisions. 100 years of history not enough for them to maintain 'the' tradition.
Pity I like my CC membership, (40 years) or I should be voting with my feet. However will never call it anything else but the CC. Call me a dinosaur, perhaps. But progress for the sake of progress is pathetic!
The legal name for them still remains The Caravan Club Limited. I assume they will be T/A the Caravan and Motorhome Club. I think they are trying to keep current.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Never have I seen this amount of agreement on the site. While the name gets a mixed reception the logo has no supporters here or anywhere else that I can find.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
It's the logo giving the club it's identity that I object to and not the name change. Although I do think they are trying to discourage folding campers and the like in the new image. I'm upset for personal reasons that I won't pour my heart out over on this forum. The loss of club identity has made me feel like there has been a loss of family identity and the link with those no longer with us.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Martin
I am fortunate to have an original 50s badge. You can still buy them on ebay.
The Red Pennant logo has child memories for me and is still the thing we look for on approaching a site. I certainly have no recollection of the discussions that lead to the new logo. Ordinary members were not consulted .A shame especially as most haven email which could have been used for poll.

The Club has of course been freely open to Motor homes for years so I don't see how the new name or logo will increase membership

May 7, 2012
Visit site
There has been a few motorhome owners who have suggested the club name might put a few people off although I am not convinced. With the ever decreasing number of pitches they have though they do not need more members but less.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The negativity from C&MC members on this and other caravan forums regarding the re-branding of the Caravan Club appears to show that their management and marketing team haven't handled this venture very well at all.
From what I've seen, CC (now C&MC) members are resistant to change, especially when irrelevant and meaningless marketing buzz words are used by young high flyers who have apparently not consulted members about casting aside tradition and spending money on a marketing exercise.
I'm not a C(&M)C member and never will be, I dislike the regimentation and the curtain twitching one-upmanship often seen on CC sites, but there's no doubt that if quiet holidays with unwritten conventions, rules and clinically clean toilets are your thing this club fits the bill. :lol:
Joking apart, the C&MC is a premier club with top line washing and toilet facilities for members and it's a shame that this re-branding, which should ensure the future of the club, has caused so much upset.
The C&MH is financially buoyant, but with little prospect of available land for new sites and not much else apart from routine planned upgrades to spend money on, it's doubtful if the logo change and new ethos will have much impact on the bank balance.
I hope that C&MC members, whether in motorhomes or caravans, will soon get over the re-brand and enjoy their stays on some of the best sites in the country.
As a non member I wish the C&MC continued success for the future :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts