Caravan Club breaking news...

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
My comments were never about 'us & them' -- I personally couldn't give a 'toss' about what people caravan in. My gripe is at the unilateral change of name and logo. Apparently 'motor' caravans have been permitted in the club for the past fifty years. I wonder how many didn't join because it was the CC. - Don't all shout at once -- NONE. -- Now CC please keep us informed as to how many new recruits we have.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Frankly the change of name is a storm in a teacup, it is just that stupid logo that annoys me. I cannot see any reason to resign over it as that is just pointless.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I've never been a member of either club but I intend to join the caravan and camping club in a couple of months, not for any other reason than we are having a bit of a friends and family meet up at a c&cc site in June, there will be 3 caravan pitchers, 3 motor home pitches and at least one tent pitch and maybe more, my reason for joining is purely economic and nothing whatsoever to do with which club it is, by joining I save around £25 on pitch fees for this one trip and I get a magazine sent every month, I think I have to pay £37 to join so magazine costing £1 an issue, any further visits to c&cc sites over the next year puts me into profit, having now read the issues raised on here I'm now wondering if I want to go away with the low life who are going to be in tents or the snobs who are going to be in motor homes!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Dusty,

The Cambridge English dictionary defines a "bigotry" as:

"the fact of having and expressing strong, unreasonable beliefs and disliking other people who have different beliefs or a different way of life:"

I believe that some of the views express in this thread fit this definition precisely.

As for the issue of Link House, The quote I provided was from the C&MC'sown web page, not my word but theirs. see:
https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/about-us/our-history/

The fact that in the quote they refer to selling shares, and The Club’s total independence., is somewhat at odds to your description.

Even if the shares were sold for a nominal sum, and or there is no share capital, they are still shares, and they carry the voting rights at an AGM, where directors are appointed or removed. That is what defines a company. The end of the comment "ensuring The Club’s total independence." strongly infers that link House had exerted influence on the clubs directors.

Even though the clubs avowed intentions are to benefit caravanners (and now motorcaravanners) the day to day running is down to the clubs directors' The membership can only "inform" the directors of their wishes, they cannot direct them, as that would be an illegal influence on the company. Only the shareholders can influence the directors by appointing or dismissing directors in accordance with the majority view of the shareholders.

The hope is that the shareholders will appoint directors that share the views of the shareholders, and thus influence the way a company operates. Examples of the the same approach were the Quaker companies like Cadbury who originally took social responsibilities to their workers very seriously.

ADD DURING EDIT)
However any company that ignores its customers will find it harder to thrive.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Hello Dusty,

"the fact of having and expressing strong, unreasonable beliefs and disliking other people who have different beliefs or a different way of life:"

I believe that some of the views express in this thread fit this definition precisely.

As for the issue of Link House, The quote I provided was from the C&MC'sown web page, not my word but theirs. see:
https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/about-us/our-history/

The fact that in the quote they refer to selling shares, and The Club’s total independence., is somewhat at odds to your description.

Even if the shares were sold for a nominal sum, and or there is no share capital, they are still shares, and they carry the voting rights at an AGM, where directors are appointed or removed. That is what defines a company. The end of the comment "ensuring The Club’s total independence." strongly infers that link House had exerted influence on the clubs directors.

Even though the clubs avowed intentions are to benefit caravanners (and now motorcaravanners) the day to day running is down to the clubs directors' The membership can only "inform" the directors of their wishes, they cannot direct them, as that would be an illegal influence on the company. Only the shareholders can influence the directors by appointing or dismissing directors in accordance with the majority view of the shareholders.

The hope is that the shareholders will appoint directors that share the views of the shareholders, and thus influence the way a company operates. Examples of the the same approach were the Quaker companies like Cadbury who originally took social responsibilities to their workers very seriously.

ADD DURING EDIT)
However any company that ignores its customers will find it harder to thrive.
#
Who do you think are the Shareholders?
Thank God I am just a simple caravanner :sick: :silly: :blink: :blush: :oops: :kiss: :woohoo:

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
We arrived at the camc Baltic Wharf site on Friday for the weekend.

We approached from the Temple Meads area rather than the route in the handbook. Mainly as we know the area and were coming from the east on the M4 / M32. The sign on the wall was the old CC one, easy to recognise. On the other side it was the new sign for camc and was not easily discernible. So if we are going to unknown sites in future we'll have to be extra wary of looking for the correct sign.

On checking in we were handed a fabric shopping bag with the new branding, containing 2 small bottles of orange juice, a coconut flap jack, a branded pen and the first edition of the camc magazine. Add that cost to the rebranding we knew nothing about prior to this thread on here.

The warden mentioned the signage was coming through in dribs and drabs, hence the main sign only having 1 side of the new logo. Which begs the question of why not get 2 sided signs as estate agent boards. The warden uniforms with the new corporate brand had all had to go back to the supplier. Some signs had the new colour scheme. Looking around the site there are considerable signs that will be replaced for the colour change and branding. Reinforces my view of how the powers that be in grimstead towers are so out of touch with the membership.

In respect of MH, 1 was filling his water tank and blocking the arrivals bay at the peak arrival time. Why not travel a few more yards and fill at the next service point??

We arrived home to find a second copy of the first edition magazine and the new handbook, under separate cover. So in the last week we had junk email about the NEC show, an 'enjoy your holiday' email; neither of which made mention of the rebranding. Then we arrive on a site with a haphazard mix of signs, old staff uniforms and giveaways. Then we get 2 items in the post that could easily been sent as 1. It's a different world at the upper echelons of camc :p :p

There were both caravans and MH arriving well before the 12:00 witching hour. The warden did chastise a speeding car.

But most importantly, we had a lovely weekend visiting the in laws, going to dinner at old friends, a super ferry journey into the centre and trip round the museum with rellies, then dinner at other rellies on Saturday, a relaxing sunday morning and departure at 11:00. Just what this caravanning lark is all about. Oh and laughing at the corporate nonsense the caravan back ripping off chairman and cohorts have dreamed up. :p

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Martin24 said:
Oh for goodness sake it has always been them and us, or for as long as I can remember, from growing up to now. Unless you have owned both outfits for a reasonable amount of time (more than one season) you can't really comment. I have never motorhomed have no desire to and have no understanding of the mindset. Ditto lifelong motorhomers view on us caravaners.

When it comes to accusing people of being bigoted, it is completely unnecessary, personal comments and attacks are not part of our community and should at no time be allowed. It really rather upsets me when grown adults get so petty and nasty.

ProfJohnL said:
Hello Dusty,

I believe that some of the views express in this thread fit this definition precisely......

Judging by the number and tone of comments about this issue on this and other caravan forums those involved (i.e. C&MC members) have strong opinions which they are allowed to express even though other people might not agree with these opinions.
There is no doubt that an element of predjudice exists between some motorhomers and some caravanners, the same applies to tent campers but the predjudice is by no means shared by all
I'm of the opinion that in this case the term 'bigoted' may be a bit strong, this is a very emotive issue and it's all too easy for those commenting to allow their anger or frustration get the better of their good sense.
In the real world tenters, motorhomes and touring caravanners share sites amicably with owners of static caravans, Yurt dwellers and so-called glampers.
Sweeping generalisations are not personal attacks, even though we may not agree with the views expressed, and everyone is at liberty to state the reason for failure to agree as is the case here.
I'd just like to point out that if I considered that real hatred, bigotry or personal attacks were submitted they would, as is always the case, be edited or taken down.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
In case I get any accusations of bigotry I'd like to just clarify I was joking when I referred to low life tenters and snobby motorhomers, I started off with a tent and had many a happy holiday and still can't resist looking around the tents when visiting places like go outdoors, and who knows when I retire I might even cross over to the dark side and get a motor home, I've never been a fan of driving when outside of the uk, can't understand why Johnny Foreigner can't drive on the correct side of the road and I'd sooner drive a motor home than tow.

BP

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Beehpee said:
In case I get any accusations of bigotry I'd like to just clarify I was joking when I referred to low life tenters and snobby motorhomers, I started off with a tent and had many a happy holiday and still can't resist looking around the tents when visiting places like go outdoors, and who knows when I retire I might even cross over to the dark side and get a motor home, I've never been a fan of driving when outside of the uk, can't understand why Johnny Foreigner can't drive on the correct side of the road and I'd sooner drive a motor home than tow.

BP
maybe johnny foreigner decided they were wrong when they had decreed everyone should travel on the left and after doing so for many centuries decided to changed it to the right side......

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My comment about motor home owners being able to reserve a particular pitch on club sites but caravan owners would not arises from the FAQs on the CC email announcing the change. The answer indicates that motor homes have special requirement and by implication are therefore given priority. So what about elderly and other caravan owners who can presumably put up with soft grass pitces rather than hardstandings.
I had just this experience at the Club site at Norwich some years ago.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
RayS said:
My comment about motor home owners being able to reserve a particular pitch on club sites but caravan owners would not arises from the FAQs on the CC email announcing the change. The answer indicates that motor homes have special requirement and by implication are therefore given priority. So what about elderly and other caravan owners who can presumably put up with soft grass pitces rather than hardstandings.
I had just this experience at the Club site at Norwich some years ago.

I hadn't seen that bit Ray :angry:
Why should a specific sector get priority over the rank and file? Disabled pitches excepted :)
I'm thinking of sites like Trewethett Farm and Bunree where a shoreline pitch is most desirable. Because I'm a tugger I can't book one in advance. I just don't see why a Motorhomer should get the chance to pre book.
Has the"new" club dropped a brick already :blink: :woohoo:

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
hi what a waste of money with the new advert all the signs on the c.l sites another job for the boys how much wage this person on to change everything its always run to clockwork and now i dont know most motohomes only use the sites one night then there off it could upset the booking when people with caravans used the sites for a week or two cheers .tom

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I showed my wife the logo without telling her what it was for and she thought the so called M in the middle was a crocus and that it had something to do with flowers. It is not a survey but she could not see the letters at all.
I think the point about motorhomes is that when grass pitches get very wet larger motorhomes can do serious damage and so to preserve the site they have to be given hardstandings sometimes. At Plymouth Sound which slopes quite a bit they do reserve some flat pitches at the top of the site for motorhomes as they cannot generally level enough for the site. They do however lose the view from the lower pitches.
For the old and infirm and disabled if you ring the wardens they will normally reserve a pitch for you near the toilet block if possible.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
logo_zpsdb2clel3.png

From an artistic point of view I can only conclude the designer is colour blind.
I've stared at this logo and get nothing , absolutely nothing.
On the basis the majority of members are on email how about a competition for a new Logo design. The winner gets 14 nights CC site vouchers :)
Upon telephoning The CC Insurance Dept this morning I was advised the new name is actually "The Trading Name of The Caravan Club Limited". So The Caravan Club still exists :p
The envelope containing my Insurance renewal still carries the Red Pennant and the breezy name The Caravan Club. Immediately identifiable. :cheer:

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Dustydog said:
logo_zpsdb2clel3.png

From an artistic point of view I can only conclude the designer is colour blind.

When asked to look at various colour patterns and told there images there I can never see them. However I can see 2 overlapping stylised horse shoes (facing each other) in the new CC logo. They are brown so the horse must have stepped in its own do do. ;) ;) I still don't like it though. :(

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
Dustydog said:
logo_zpsdb2clel3.png

When asked to look at various colour patterns and told there images there I can never see them. However I can see 2 overlapping stylised horse shoes (facing each other) in the new CC logo. They are brown so the horse must have stepped in its own do do. ;) ;) I still don't like it though. :(

Thought I had to visit specsavers....Brown?????
I and my lady wife both reckon they are red and orange :whistle:
Not that I'm bothered, I'm not a member :kiss: :whistle:
Oh ...................did they make Motorhomes back in 1907??????

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Gagakev said:
Gabsgrandad said:
Can't you remember? ;)

I was still having to use the tin bath once a week in the freezing cold kitchen in the 1960's up until the 1970's
so NO I CANT REMEMBER :whistle: :whistle: :lol: :lol:

Thats the problem of being the runt of the litter. :p

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:

I would imagine that quite a lot of CC members of more mature years won't see these colours as the (young?) designer intended. As we get older we acquire a brown tint to eyesight, which is so slow and gradual you don't notice it. Once you have a corneal implant though you realise quite dramatically how bright colours really were to you at one time.
I can best describe it as a reds seen nearer to terracotta; orange as brown; yellow towards orange and so on. I remember having just decorated the dining room before the op, only to find its true colours somewhat different!

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Yes, apparently members views don't count, and shutting them down will change their opinions, - won't it? - I don't suppose CC management read our forum, -- just in case they do ;-
CC%20-%20Copy_zpsyygdukrp.jpg

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Had my 2017 handbook the other day. An earlier post said something about 'If it aint broke don't fix it'.
Appropriate to the hand book as far as I can see, found it difficult to find information that was easily found in the old book. Looks very much like, as already suggested ref club name change, that someone had a fit of corporate change for change sake.

What's next, wardens banging on the caravan door asking if we want, credit cards, mortgage, PIP, funeral insurance etc.
Yes I know I am an old cynic.
Bill D.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts