Charges for fitting a tyre?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Being researching prices for tyres and noticed a new charge ahs now crept in with some fitters called "2 x Standard Valve or TPMS Valve Stem/Service Kit at £4.75" per tyre. The TPMS is normally a sealed unit so how would they service it anyway? What do they service on a tyre fitted with TPMS valve stem?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It's the screw in valve itself that they replace. Not the TPMS stem.
However no way does that cost anything near £4.75 each and previously I think it was always part of the fitting. Checked previous invoices and no mention of this "service" on any invoice and that is for different cars over the past 10 years.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I had a slow leak when my new tyres were fitted. Back to the tyre depot and it was coming from one of the new valves that hadn’t seated properly. I was offered a replacement or TPMS service kit. I went for the latter at a similar price to yours. It’s becoming a more regular feature of life. New technology new costs. A neighbour where we last lived had his TPMS sensors disconnected then removed to prevent spurious signals, or eventual replacement as one was playing up.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
However no way does that cost anything near £4.75 each and previously I think it was always part of the fitting. Checked previous invoices and no mention of this "service" on any invoice and that is for different cars over the past 10 years.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

Thanks Hutch. I’ve seen such packs on EBay about the same price. Although the business will buy them in wholesale there are the businesses costs and labour charges too, plus to survive they need to make a profit. Anyone not wanting one is always free to say no, and be prepared to potentially live with a slow puncture, and find the TPMS warning beeping at some inconvenient time.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
As an apprentice, we were always told the valve inside the stem was not the final seal, that the valve cap was, so I have metal valve caps fitted to my car and motorbike as they have an O ring in them . The caravan has Tyrepal detectors on them.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Our TPMS system on the Mini is battery powered-max 5 year life-then Mini will want £70 for a new valve, stem and base unit with battery. Non oem ones are around half the price but depend on the tyre fitter being able to code them to the vehicle! Deep joy and the price of progress.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our TPMS system on the Mini is battery powered-max 5 year life-then Mini will want £70 for a new valve, stem and base unit with battery. Non oem ones are around half the price but depend on the tyre fitter being able to code them to the vehicle! Deep joy and the price of progress.

Guess that rebalancing will also be required too if it’s not included in the £70. What we need are rechargeable TPMS batteries with solar cells in the valve cap/stem.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Oh yes-balancing will be on top of that , mind I wouldn't normally go to a main dealer for tyres though they can sometimes be competitive. I''ll compare costs at my favoured tyre place and have a chat with them about non oem tpms units-they should have it sorted by now- unlike when we first had our winter tyres-beauty is of course that with winters they sit there doing nothing for half a year so both tyre and tpms battery lasts much longer! Not as yet had to do it.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The 5 years is just an estimate, it's dependent on the amount of use as they only transmit when subject to movement. I have them fitted in both sets of wheels/tyres, ie summer/winter, so neither set gets used for a full 12 months in each year.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Of course as with any battery! The more it's used the quicker it'll need replacing. Bound to be a bit of age related drain while ours are sitting in the garage too.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Prof, we know of your hate of Tyron bands, I hope your not trying to start an argument on the forum ?
I don't remember The Prof ever stating that he 'hates' Tyron bands.
He thinks that in most cases they are useless but that's not the same thing.
Please don't goad forum members

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Have you considered putting the bands on your car? If not why not?
No to car mainly because it has four wheels and can pull up hopefully safely , with the caravan it can cause lots of damage before pulling up. I had this in Reims , I must have gone 1/200m before I pulled up and the only damage was the wheel rim , the tyre was destroyed.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
No to car mainly because it has four wheels and can pull up hopefully safely , with the caravan it can cause lots of damage before pulling up. I had this in Reims , I must have gone 1/200m before I pulled up and the only damage was the wheel rim , the tyre was destroyed.
And most modern cars have TPMS.

Reactions: JTQ
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm sorry to read of your experience. I am glad that no one was hurt, and little damage ensued. However it's very difficult to confirm whether or not having tyre bands actually prevented more damage.

You may be interested enough to use the forums search facility to look up the numerous threads on the matter.

Reactions: Robert_374373903
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The valve on our 2005 Jeep was about £90 in 2015 including fitting and balancing. Not sure of the cost on the 2012 Jeep and too scared to ask! :ROFLMAO:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts