Devon/Cornwall Suggestions Please

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
We'll be coming over to the UK for a twinning visit in the second week of September and are thinking of taking our caravan to do a couple of weeks' touring ahead of the visit. If we do we'd like to head for Devon and/or Cornwall but have difficulty in finding a site that would ideally suit us.
The features that we are looking for are as follows:
  • It's got to be quiet and secluded, but within easy reach of a picturesque village or town
  • Relatively small (no more than about 100 pitches)
  • Preferably within easy walking distance of the coast
  • Toilet/shower block of a good standard
  • Must have EHU
  • No swimming pool, or other recreational facilities that we won't use
Can anybody recommend a site that meets all these criteria? We would prefer a CC site as we are members, but are open to other suggestions.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
A privately owned site that was recommended to us but which we haven't visited yet is in Dorset if you happen to pass that way.
It's called Seadown Holiday Park and it's in Charmouth on the Jurassic coast, a short walk from the beach and just up the lane into Charmouth.
Seadown is on our 'to do' list and it meets your criteria except that it's in the next county, sorry
smiley-embarassed.gif

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I can't speak personally about this site but friends of ours go there for 2 weeks every year.
http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/caravanclubapps/applications/uk-caravan-sites-and-parks/SiteDetails.aspx?csid=21890&arrivalDate=&departureDate=
It is on the coast at Hayle and I believe you walk across the road to the beach although I'm not too sure if you have to climb sand dunes.
Perhaps someone else can confirm how you get to the beach. Lots of rabbits there apparently. Friends like walking along the coastal path and find this site ideal.
When in that area we use either the club site at Marazion, but it has no shower block, or the Carnon Downs site, which is nice but it's not on the coast being about 9 miles away from Falmouth.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Lutz, I can confirm that Godrevey is indeed a lovely site, it is howerver for caravan club members only, as L.B. has said it is a 2 minute walk across a back road to the dunes and then either walk to the beach via a carpark of if enerjetic down over a cliff path to a most glorious beach which has golden sand and stretches for around 2 miles. Infact we are off there today yippy.
Another site which will suite most of your criteria is a site on the edge of exmoor just north of devon in somerset. It isnt near a beach but everything else is as you require it to be. http://www.waterrowpark.co.uk

Kev

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
We've talked it over at home once again and the OH would prefer Devon to Cornwall as we went to Cornwall not so very long ago. Searching around the CC directory I've found Start Bay as an alternative worth looking into. Any opinions about this site?

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Gagakev said:
mullsy1 said:
We have stayed here and can highly recommend it.
http://www.rossparkcaravanpark.co.uk/facilities.php

Just a bit down the road is this one dornafeild we stayed there when we tried the van out, excellant and CC affiliated.
Only problem is its about 6 miles from the coast, but lots to do in the area.
Sorry to hijack Lutz thread but I've been to Dornafield Kev and I wasn't that impressed with the size of the pitches and roadways. Those I know who've been to both say Ross Park is better.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
We went to Start Bay about three autumns ago, and liked it alot.

It's situated beside the road, but if you managed to get a pitch on the other side of the site, away from the road, it's nice and quiet. It's close to a shop and pubs, and not too far from the beach - certainly within walking distance! The bus stops right outside the site, and it's a very good service, runs several times an hour.

We been to lots of sites in the Devon and Cornwall area, and this would be near the top of my list, the only bug bear is the road from Kingsbridge is narrow in places, if you come across a bus or lorry in the opposite direction, you have to "breathe in" a bit, not a great concern, though!
smiley-smile.gif

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Thanks, Wendy, especially for the note regarding quieter pitches on the far side of the site.
I think we'll give it a try. Anyway, I've gone ahead and booked.

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
A little surprised there are not more reviews of this site on ukcampsite,considering the location and such.The reviews were all positive however

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to hijack Lutz thread but I've been to Dornafield Kev and I wasn't that impressed with the size of the pitches and roadways. Those I know who've been to both say Ross Park is better.
[/quote]

To be honest LB you are proberbly right as I didnt really take any notice of the actual size of the other pitches but I had a very spacious one on its own on the top part next to the shower block and opposite the dog walk.
The other site you mentioned was my first choice but a soon as I gave them the shipping length (7.9m) they had no availible pitches,
smiley-undecided.gif
as they didnt beleive I was on a single axle and perhaps they thought I didnt have a permenant address
smiley-wink.gif

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
In reply to Lutz, a sight we used recently is Woodland Springs Touring Park at Venton, Drewsteignton, Devon, EX6 6PG it does not fit all of your requirements but I can assure you that you will not find a better, cleaner facilities block anywhere. There are just 81 pitches all with EHU and Chris & Jan the proprietors are the most friendly people you could wish to meet. Several small villages in the immediate area are worthy of a visit and most have pubs and restaurants. One - North Tawton has the best Fish & Chips at Graylings fish restaurant - not cheap but so good! There are plenty of walks on Datrmoor if you are of the walking type. All in all a very restful site. It is one of the Tranquil Touring Parks (adults only) , their brochure can be obtained by contacting www.tranquiltouringparks.co.uk. the park can be viewed at www.woodlandsprings.co.uk - its one of the best!! Good luck.

Aug 17, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lutz
We regularly caravan down in the West country. Dornafield is a nice site, we've stayed there several times. The pitches are fine, we usually stayed in the Blackrock Copse area. The owners are friendly, the loo block is fantastic (think they won awards for it). It's peaceful and very pretty in the spring with woodland flowers and the like. Dartmoor is about a twenty minute drive, the same down to Paignton.
We also loved Trewethett Farm CC site between Boscastle and Tintagel in Cornwall. Our pitch was the one they show in the promotional info. Views out over the sea, fabulous sunsets, great coastal walks to both villages. Probably one of the most spectacular sites for views we've stayed on. I'd say this site would fulfil all you criteria pretty much.
Can't comment on Start Bay, haven't been there yet, but looks nice. Just my tuppence ha'penny's worth.
Dave.

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Hello lutz
I can reccomend Merrose farm at Portscatho near St Mawes, it is larger than you ask but it is quiet or it was when we went there, it is within walking distance of the coast, toilet block excellent as usual CC standards, it has hard standing and grass piches with hook up, one word of warning about sat nav, dont use it, use CC instructions only as some of the lanes around are narrow
Alb

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Trewthet farm CC site between Boscastle and Tintagel is spectacular right on the cliffs. The views are spectacular and a short walk to the beach( tho rather steep) we walked to both Boscastle and Tintagel along the cliff path (separate days tho).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts