disabled parking

Page 6 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
I don't mind disabled people having spaces which are wider or convienient to exit doors, or if they are allowed to stop on double yellow lines just to go into the 1 shop.

But, what I do object to very strongly is that they do not have to pay for parking.

I don't see why they should not pay just because of medical problem!!

I have never been allowed free parking!!! Unemployed, elderly, ill, mothers, none of these get free parking.

disabled should pay for that, and before anyone gets angry, I had a disabled mother (no legs)and a brother and still have a brother who is disabled, and yes, I told him he should pay, he has a job, a car and a motorbike.

It is wrong of people to park in bays which are allocated, but very annoying where I live that these bays are never full in our car park. Except for friday and Saturdays...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I thought the marked bays in supermarket car parks where a gesture not a law (I might be wrong)

I normally park in the furthest corner n walk

saves getting dents in doors from trolleys and kids flinging doors open

Rita
Hello Rita

Most planning authorities will now only accept plans for shops and other publicly accessed premises provided that they have made provision for people with disabilities. One of these provisions is usually car-parking spaces. The number and actual provision is governed by the Access for the Disabled Act.

Jun 19, 2005
Visit site
Hi folks

With regards to Diane's comments, 'Sorry guys but the who-ha over disabled bays get my goat! Personally I think they should take them away!'

This is a great idea and I would love to park my car next to you in a car park.

I am wheelchair dependent and I do need extra space to get my wheelchair out of the car. If I don't have enough room I could possibly scratch the car next to me, so if you want to go ahead a remove the disabled spaces go ahead but be warned that you vehicle might get scratched or even worse dented and scratched.

I have seen some classic cases just recently in some car parks. I am fortune that I am able to work but some of my work is in a spinal unit where the majority of people are wheelchair dependent. They have re-painted some of the disabled spaces in the grounds of the hospital, one of which is designed to be driven into with the car facing forwards and the other is designed for the car to be reversed into. The idea is that both cars can use the space provided for the extra room. Now I personally think this is a good idea but it all depends on how large the space is between the spaces.

The particular incidence I saw was where the space between the cars was reasonably large, in fact large enough that some idiot decided to park in between the two cars. If I was one of the people in the two cars that were there in the first place I would not have been able to get into my car, so there is a need for larger spaces, albeit for blue badge holders or families I don't know but we can all moan about for ever and ever but at the end of the day until it is policed properly people will continue to abuse the system.

People will use a blue badge belonging to their granny and people who have a legitimate blue badge will continue to use parent and child places because they think they are owed a parking space because of this 'wonder' blue badge.

As in every walk of life (no pun intended because I can't walk) there are people who do care and there are people who really don't. Unfortunately in today's society people want everything as easy as possible so if parking nearer to the shop is done by parking in a bay like 'blue badge' or 'parent and child' they will continue to do so.

We can all moan as much as we like but it is not going to change what is already going on. You can try to educate people but there are ones where education is a thing of the past and they couldn't care less.

Sorry for the rant.

Dougy

May 29, 2007
Visit site
Well now Dougy, go a head! If you can get past the side paniers and steps you may well scratch my car. But as you said you would love to park next to it. That may well be difficult as i do have my own parking space.

AND YES! i would take all the disabled parking bays outside shops out. Are we talking about the same thing i wonder, and before you have another personal attack at me stop and think.Disabled means a disablement, for example, i suffer with arthritus, and sometimes have trouble moving my knees. Technically this is a disablement so there for should allow me to park in disabled bay. If i did park in a disabled bay, there would be a big who-ha, because to all intensive purposes, according to the hard nose brigade i am taking up a disabled bay, and not showing a blue badge. Am I disabled?

And another thing while i am on the subject, it really kills my pig when people Think because they are disabled that it gives them the god given right to be treated like they are special! If they are not, then they go off the deepend and start chucking the " I am not treated fairly and discriminated agaist because i am disabled card" around. So before you chuck all your toys out of your pram mate, pick your dummy up and think again. I was 22 when i was first diagnosed with 3 different type of arthritus, and no, i am not in a wheel chair yet. That is because i did something about it.

Also if being disabled means being rude to people knocking them over in electrical wheelchairs and ramming them when they don't get out of the way quick enough, and just for good measure, turning around and screaming at them i told you to get out of the way, then i am sorry people like that deserve all they get.

Oct 19, 2005
Visit site
The subjectof Disabled Drivers has been, and will be, a topic which can start to bring out personal attacks on other posters.

Please lets not degenerate this topic into one of personal attacks or sarcastic comments to others.

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
DIANE,

You say: "Disabled means a disablement, for example, i suffer with arthritus, and sometimes have trouble moving my knees. Technically this is a disablement so there for should allow me to park in disabled bay."

You have my sympathy re the Arthritis as I too am a sufferer BUT all you have to do is apply for a Blue Badge. Then the LEVEL OF DISABLEMENT will be assessed and if it is considered sever enough you will indeed be entitled to the badge.

If the parking bays in question are signed as being for BLUE BADGE HOLDERS ONLY (or similar) rather than DISABLED ONLY then I do not agree that you should be allowed to park in them.

Steve

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
SMILEY,

You say: "But, what I do object to very strongly is that they do not have to pay for parking."

I can tell you that where I live almost all the car parks require Blue Badge Holders to pay the same as any other person.

A policy with which I whole heartedly agree.

Steve

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Diane you have my sypathy if you have athritus you as my wife not only has a mild form. at present, in her spine but also spondolytous and under active thyroid. She is at present on 40mg of steroids a day among other tablets. The doctor has told her that when they have the symptoms under control they will be able to reduce the steroids. She has to attend the doctors and the hospital for regular monitoring. She did apply for a blue badge at the doctor's suggestion but because she can walk 100yards unaided she was turned down.

We know of a couple living in Porthcawl who, not only has a blue badge but also a new car every three years without the worry of road fund licence, servicing, etc. He has not worked for years as a result of a bad back. He is an active member of the local golf club. playing at least four times a week and in the past five years has been the club captain for three of them. Makes you think as well as making you sick to see how the system is abused.

May 29, 2007
Visit site
Believe it or not Colin, I actually have Zero Negative Arthritus, Oesteo Arthritus and Rumatiode Arthritus. I have it in my hands, knees, elbows, shoulders and hips. As you say i am one of the lucky ones as i don't get it in my feet or my spine. I also have an under active Thyriod and am on 75mgs a day of thyroxine. I am also on Calcium to stop my bones crumbling.

What you see on the outside is'nt always what you see on the inside!

Decided when i was diagnosed that i would never let it rule my life, when its bad i just try to ignore it with the help of some lovelt codine tablets. Ibubrophen and anti inflams don't work on the Zero Neg, So its just a case of getting on with it.

May 29, 2007
Visit site
ps. I can cope with it until it makes me drop a cup of tea or something- then i just say " ok bad idea, Will have a whisky instead"! Actually alcohol makes it worse!lol

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You are right Diane - when we met in Tescos I wouldn't have thought that you were suffering so mauch - you put across a very pleasant disposition therefore don't let looks deceive. I think you are of the right attitude being able to look on the bright side than sit in the corner and mope thinking why me. My wife has just made blackberry jam after we picked a few pounds between us and today plum jam. She is also during the week going to make green tomato chutney. She is of a similar frame of mind to get on with life and take each day as a blessing if the pain is not too great.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
ps. I can cope with it until it makes me drop a cup of tea or something- then i just say " ok bad idea, Will have a whisky instead"! Actually alcohol makes it worse!lol
If that is the case you know what you can do with the whisk(e)y. There will always be an open cupboard in Penyfai for the odd bottle or two or even three. hehehehe

May 29, 2007
Visit site
I bet it winds her up sometimes, with the dr. appointments and the blood tests every couple of months and all the medications. She seems like the sort who would fight it! We welsh ladies maybe little, but they make us tough.

May 29, 2007
Visit site
Ps. I don,t suffer all the time, only when i get a knock or the weather changes, or if i put on to much weight. Diet helps and keeping my weight down and loads of exercise. With the Thyroide you have to anyway.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My wife reckons with all the housework, looking after my son and myself, two grandchildren after school, a daughter who at the moment is on long term sick and her mother that she does not need any exercise. During the day she is the type that wont sit down - on the go continuously. She will settle in front of the TV in the evening and then goes to bed at approx 9:30pm to read her book.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Forgot to mention that last week she made 15 jars of blackberry jam, today 7 jars of plum jam and next week is going to make green tomato chutney. I suppose that keeping on the go helps to prevent the body from siezing up and causing pain. Thank God at the moment I do not have these problems.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
2 points spring to mind about parking for disabled people.

Firstly, I believe that disablement should be assessed by the ammount of dis-ablement that a person has. I mean that someone who relys upon a wheel chair or has other severe mobility issues should have priorty over someone who merely finds it inconvenient to walk for a few yards.

Secondly, I allways throught that double yellow lines were put along a kerbside to avoid vehicles parking where an obstruction would occur. Why then does a car that displays a blue badge NOT cause an obstruction when parked on double yellow lines for up to three hours. Maybe the highway code should be updated to the effect that double yellow lines mean "disabled parking".

Al

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Big Al,

Disabilities come in sorts and severity, and whilst it might seem reasonable to differentiate based solely on apparent physical aspects, there are many conditions that may not have obvious visible symptoms. It is always dangerous to generalise, but at the risk of falling foul of it, some with wheel chairs may be physically disabled, but they have gained a level of mobility through the use of a wheel chair. Where as someone who has a heart problem may be able to walk but not very far or fast. Both are disabled.

With regard to parking, Yes a blue badge holder can park on yellow lines, but they must not cause an obstruction or be a danger to other road users or pedestrians

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Surely to differentiate between what is causing an obstruction/dangerous/etc. could be a very grey area. Your interpretation could be totally different to that of a traffic warden/police officer so how could it be defined in black and white?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
A bit of common sense has to be used when parking on yellow lines when using a disabled (blue) badge. If an obstruction is being caused in the opinion of the parking attendant/ warden then they are right to issue a ticket, and they often do.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts