Electric water heater

DRW

Jul 3, 2022
Visit site
Hi, we have an Alde wet system central heating and water heater system that is leaking coolant. Annoyingly caravan service engineers refuse to touch it as Caravan is over 10 yrs old!
I was wondering if I could replace the boiler with a simple electric only water heater (tank or in line) that heats the hot water for taps only (no heating) and if so any suggestions as to the best 240v water heater?
Thanks

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I find it strange that a caravan service engineer will not address the problem. Was its AWS engineer? Could it be that parts are not available with it being 10 years old?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The simple answer is yes you can, an instantaneous water heater capable of heating water for a shower would need more power than an EHU can supply, so you are practically limited to a storage water heater.

Here is a typical example of 10L with an 880W 800W 230V ac element

Last edited:
Reactions: DRW
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The simple answer is yes you can, an instantaneous water heater capable of heating water for a shower would need more power than an EHU can supply, so you are practically limited to a storage water heater.

Here is a typical example of 10L with an 880W 230V ac element

Propex are excellent products, I had a gas room heater fitted to an imported caravan that had no heating. They gave good advice prior to purchase.

DRW

Jul 3, 2022
Visit site

Here is a typical example of 10L with an 880W 230V ac element
Fab, thanks so much. Any idea if this work with the Whale in aquaroll pump? Just worried Re low pressure issues?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Fab, thanks so much. Any idea if this work with the Whale in aquaroll pump? Just worried Re low pressure issues?
The specification requires 7psi a minimum pressure which most normal submersible pumps should be able to provide.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi, we have an Alde wet system central heating and water heater system that is leaking coolant. Annoyingly caravan service engineers refuse to touch it as Caravan is over 10 yrs old!
I was wondering if I could replace the boiler with a simple electric only water heater (tank or in line) that heats the hot water for taps only (no heating) and if so any suggestions as to the best 240v water heater?
Thanks

As said not sure why a caravan technician will not touch what could be a simple leak. It may be cheaper to have the system fixed by a qualified technician rather than fitting another boiler?

Reactions: ProfJohnL

DRW

Jul 3, 2022
Visit site
I find it strange that a caravan service engineer will not address the problem. Was its AWS engineer? Could it be that parts are not available with it being 10 years old?
Hi, rather depressingly all the local engineers refused to look at the caravan at all as it's over 10 yrs old. They all said I'd struggle to find anyone to service it.
The boiler works fine.... there's a coolant leak somewhere in the pipework so all I needed was for engineer to locate that and service the boiler.
In all honesty we used the heating once 9 years ago and have only ever heated water with the boilers electric element so swapping out suits us fine.
I've just googled and these Alde 3010 boilers seem to be going for a good few quid used, so I'll sell it on.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi, rather depressingly all the local engineers refused to look at the caravan at all as it's over 10 yrs old. They all said I'd struggle to find anyone to service it.
The boiler works fine.... there's a coolant leak somewhere in the pipework so all I needed was for engineer to locate that and service the boiler.
In all honesty we used the heating once 9 years ago and have only ever heated water with the boilers electric element so swapping out suits us fine.
I've just googled and these Alde 3010 boilers seem to be going for a good few quid used, so I'll sell it on.
Why don't you contact ALDE direct and ask them if there are any qualified technicians in your area that can give you a quote for a repair? ALDE are very helpful.

Disabling the ALDE system will have a knock on effect if you decide to sell the caravan at some point in the future. TBH I doubt iof any of the caravan technicians who said they could not fix it because the system is over 10 years old are qualified technicians or are AWS technicians. At 10 years the system is definitely not old.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I must make it clear I'm not specifically recommending the propex, I'm just usuung ut as an example of a likely product. I suggest you seek local advice to see if would be suitable.

Other commenters are correct 10 years old is not old for caravans. Was there something else they said which might explain their reticence to work on your Alde heating system?.

Is it on a permanent site?

Last edited:

DRW

Jul 3, 2022
Visit site
I must make it clear I'm not specifically recommending the propex, I'm just usuung ut as an example of a likely product. I suggest you seek local advice to see if would be suitable.

Other commenters are correct 10 years old is not old for caravans. Was there something else they said which might explain their reticence to work on your Alde heating system?.

Is it on a permanently site?
Hi, no, they were just not interested. We live in North Wakes and the local Caravan tech's all refused based on their 10 year rule. Really frustrating.
We use it to tour for around 6 weeks a year. Have been using it without hot water last two holidays. The boiler still heats water perfectly, but without any fluid/coolant in it I'm weary of using without the pink stuff. Do you guys reckon it's ok to heat water without coolant in the boiler?
Sorry if it's a stupid question.
Caravan is a 2001Bessacar, no issues at all with it apart from boiler. The Boiler was replaced with the Aldi unit just before we bought it just 9 yrs ago.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi, no, they were just not interested. We live in North Wakes and the local Caravan tech's all refused based on their 10 year rule. Really frustrating.
We use it to tour for around 6 weeks a year. Have been using it without hot water last two holidays. The boiler still heats water perfectly, but without any fluid/coolant in it I'm weary of using without the pink stuff. Do you guys reckon it's ok to heat water without coolant in the boiler?
Caravan is a 2001Bessacar, no issues at all with it apart from boiler. The Boiler was replaced with the Aldi unit just before we bought it just 9 yrs ago.

Sounds like a technicians' cartel. Need some extra competition in your area.

DRW

Jul 3, 2022
Visit site
Sounds like a technicians' cartel. Need some extra competition in your area.
Aye, it's annoying I think there's so few of them they get to pick and choose.
I've just messaged a new one that didn't come up on Google . Didn't know about AWS I found him via the AWS website, lets see what he says 👍
Thanks all, really appreciated

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Why don't you contact ALDE direct and ask them if there are any qualified technicians in your area that can give you a quote for a repair? ALDE are very helpful.

Disabling the ALDE system will have a knock on effect if you decide to sell the caravan at some point in the future. TBH I doubt iof any of the caravan technicians who said they could not fix it because the system is over 10 years old are qualified technicians or are AWS technicians. At 10 years the system is definitely not old.

I wholeheartedly agree with Buckman and recommend you contact Alde themselves. Alde are completely customer focussed and they may have the answer to your problem before you start spending serious money.

Reactions: Jcloughie and DRW
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think that the ALDE system does not heat the water in the conventional way. It heats the water by way of a type of jacket, but you need the fluid in the system for it to work which you cannot do as you have a leak. Any Approved Workshop Scheme technician should be able to resolve the issue.

Look for one in your area as I think there is a possibility that you are being fobbed off by technicians without the proper qualifications? Have a look at this link. https://www.approvedworkshops.co.uk/find-approved-workshop

DRW

Jul 3, 2022
Visit site
I think that the ALDE system does not heat the water in the conventional way. It heats the water by way of a type of jacket, but you need the fluid in the system for it to work which you cannot do as you have a leak. Any Approved Workshop Scheme technician should be able to resolve the issue.

Look for one in your area as I think there is a possibility that you are being fobbed off by technicians without the proper qualifications? Have a look at this link. https://www.approvedworkshops.co.uk/find-approved-workshop
👍👍 I emailed a new one from the list 👍

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
Don’t use the boiler with no antifreeze as you will kill the elements!!

You can normally get a good idea of where a leak is coming from, assuming it’s not from the boiler itself, if the jacket is compromised then it would be a new boiler.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

You can normally get a good idea of where a leak is coming from, assuming it’s not from the boiler itself, if the jacket is compromised then it would be a new boiler.

I think they have drained off all the fluid which is why they have no hot water as you need the fluid to heat the water?

DRW

Jul 3, 2022
Visit site

You can normally get a good idea of where a leak is coming from, assuming it’s not from the boiler itself, if the jacket is compromised then it would be a new boiler
Ah, come to think if it, the floor to the side of the seat where the boiler is located was wet when i tried to refill with coolant 😐

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts