From Scarborough to the Lakes

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi

We're in Scarborough for a week then moving on to the Lakes.

Can anyone give me a sensible/hassle free route (missing out all the problems that face us caravanners?)

Your advice is appreciated.

Mac

May 12, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for trying but....

Satnav downloads don't work on this site Tony

We wouldn't be allowed to show them even if they did because the little sign from the attempted download which I've left below means that the material is copyright.

If we don't own the copyright we can't put it on without permission, sorry.

Parksy(Moderator)

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Mark

I assume you mean the South lakes? - Windermere etc.

From Scarborough head for the M62. Follow that to M61 and then M6 North. Come off at Junction 36 M6 and follow the signs to Windermere.

If you mean Keswick area either proceed as above, but once you hit Windermere, just follow the A592 to Keswick. Alternatively go past junction 36 on the M6 and come of at Junction 40 following the A66 for about an hour to Keswick and the North lakes genererally.

There are shorter routes 'mileage wise' but they tend to take you via the dales - scenic but slower and potentially a bit of a nightmare.

Hope this helps. I do the reverse journey quite often, and it rarerly has problems.

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks 'S'

Much more helpful!

Trouble is - Google Maps is telling me to go A170 (which goes through places like Pickering etc) and then A1, A65. Not a motorway in sight!

I know the A1 and the A65 are ok - I'm assuming the A170 is too?

Any thoughts - anybody?

Are there any roads/areas to avoid?

Mac

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Mark

The A65 is fine so long as you avaoid the Leeds area. One other way is to come off the A1 and head towards Harrogate. Take the A59 from the outskirts of Harrogate and then join the A65 just outside of Skipton.

Take the A65 all the way to the M6 at junction 36 and then you are within half an hour of Windermere.

Done this lots of times in reverse and no problem. It is mostly single carriageway but so long as you take your time there shouldnt be much trouble. Its a lovely route too.

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Mark,

We did a similar journey last year after spending a very damp week in Scarborough. Left Scarborough on the A170 to Thirsk and then up the M1 to Scotch Corner. Took the A66 then all the way through to a much drier Keswick.

Like you I had reservations about the journey over the Moors and Pennines and whilst in places there are alot of hills to climb and a number of bends to negotiate, it wasn't something that bad that would make me go back along the M62 towards Manchester. There is some wonderful scenery along this route and we made a couple of 1/4 to 1/2 hour stops to stretch the legs. In all it took around five hours with all stops.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would head up the coast to Whitby then continue over the moor road to Guisborough and onto Teeside all on the A171. Pick up the A174 after Marton then a short stretch on the A19 northbound joining the A66 at the Teeside Park intersection which will take you over to Penrith. Living near Guisborough I tow on all these roads frequently and they are fine for towing a caravan and have no major traffic hotspots on the route.

Jan 12, 2007
Visit site
We will be travelling part of this route in reverse in a couple of weeks when travelling from the North to Scarborough.

I have driven but never towed this route and would normally head for Thirsk from the A1 and onto the A170. However not having been in the Scarborough area for several years we have been led to believe the alternative route for caravans to avoid Sutton Bank can be a nightmare - and from memory traffic through Helmsley, Pickering and Thorton-Le-Dale etc can slow you down. Particularly for larger outfits. Neighbours were at Scarborough at Easter and said the alternative route took them through small villages and narrow country lanes??

For these reason I was considering continuing down the A1 to junction 47 for York, following the A19 on to the A1237 York ring-road, and then clockwise onto the A64 north of York - which would then take us right out to Scarborough.

However reading the posts so far I am wondering whether I would be adding needless miles or whether I am missing any potential issues with this route?

Jul 15, 2006
Visit site
I agree with the route Richard suggests. We live in the area and have towed to the lakes and to Whitby and Scarborough on these roads with no problems

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts