Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
GT85 is a lubricant and must NOT be used on the friction pads.
The riction pads must be kept clean of all grease and other contaminants.

Using any lubricant on the pads renders them useless.

Reactions: Challenger
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Can brake cleaner be used without dismantling the pads?
Yes just direct the spray onto the pads. I would then gently wipe with a nylon pan scourer, spray again and wipe with kitchen roll. Some use very fine emery to just lightly clean the pad surfaces.

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Treat your tow ball in the same way too, no oil no grease, keep it clean with brake cleaner as already recommended. If it gets rusty use fine grit paper to clean it.
Just a thought on the tow ball. I don't know if you are a newcomer to towing or If you've had a brand new tow bar fitted but, your tow ball should be bright and shiny bare metal. The factory painted finish must be removed from the ball again using grit paper. Unfortunately, it's not a five minute job and takes some elbow grease but, it has to come off before hitching up.
I don't know why the tow bar manufacturers insist on coating the whole thing when they must know the ball has to be bare metal.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't know why the tow bar manufacturers insist on coating the whole thing when they must know the ball has to be bare metal.

Tow balls are prone to corrosion, so manufacturers painted then to preserve the finish before the ball is sold.

There are plenty of smaller trailers that do not use friction pads at all, and the paint does no harm. in such cases greasing the ball is still recommended.

It's only where hitch friction pad stabilisers are used where the ball needs to be paint and grease free.

Apr 2, 2022
Visit site
Treat your tow ball in the same way too, no oil no grease, keep it clean with brake cleaner as already recommended. If it gets rusty use fine grit paper to clean it.
Just a thought on the tow ball. I don't know if you are a newcomer to towing or If you've had a brand new tow bar fitted but, your tow ball should be bright and shiny bare metal. The factory painted finish must be removed from the ball again using grit paper. Unfortunately, it's not a five minute job and takes some elbow grease but, it has to come off before hitching up.
Thanks for your reply. I did the caravan experience 30yrs ago , just coming back into it. Haven't used the Alko Stabiliser before so just wanted to know the best way to clean the pads. The tow ball I've had checked out as it was on the car when I bought it. Just a question on the pads. Can you rely on the colour coding on the stabiliser?

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
gaza101.....have you checked that your towcar is fitted with an Alko towball as they are designed for use with their stabilisers and have different clearances.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts