Happy Campers

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I see that there's a new six part Channel 5 TV series that features camping holiday parks on Sunday evening at 8pm.
I wonder if it will be an accurate portrayal or a programme that shows the worst aspects of caravanning?
I suspect that the 'caravans' featured will be static rather than touring caravans, and if touring is featured at all it will probably be tents and motorhomes.
I see that Sunday's programme features Holiday Resort Unity in Brean, Somerset.
This is a site that we visited when we first bought a tourer, it's fairly well run, cheap and cheerful, and it can become quite crowded in high season.
Will you be watching ?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I see that there's a new six part Channel 5 TV series that features camping holiday parks on Sunday evening at 8pm.
I wonder if it will be an accurate portrayal or a programme that shows the worst aspects of caravanning?
I suspect that the 'caravans' featured will be static rather than touring caravans, and if touring is featured at all it will probably be tents and motorhomes.
This is a site that we visited when we first bought a tourer, it's fairly well run, cheap and cheerful, and it can become quite crowded in high season.
Will you be watching ?

No will be watching Top Gear followed by what BBC describes as the "dark and funny" drama Bloodlands. Of course that's when the Rugby has finished , and the Mothers Day lunch for our daughter too. May even have a glass of Malbec to celebrate achieving weight objective 1.
Times are definitely getting tough (y)

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Will you be watching ?
I will be watching it it sounds like it could be interesting

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I will give the first episode a go to see whether its a serious program or just another attempt to belittle us. We live in hope.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
No will be watching Top Gear followed by what BBC describes as the "dark and funny" drama Bloodlands. Of course that's when the Rugby has finished , and the Mothers Day lunch for our daughter too. May even have a glass of Malbec to celebrate achieving weight objective 1.
Times are definitely getting tough (y)
Hi otherclive i be taping Top Gear and watch it at a later viewing..

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Has any one watched "Happy Campers". The first program centres around Looe caravan park and make caravanner slook like a bunch of ners. No wonder people prefer over seas holidays!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The programme was cringeworthy and portrayed everything that I dislike about commercial caravan parks.
We had a first time campervan owner at a site in Cornwall who couldn't peg his awning down and he complained to reception.
They thought that a campervan awning was a tent and although they tried to help, they had no idea that such things as rock pegs existed.
Meanwhile a bevy of no hopers were auditioning for a dead end job as 'Yellowcoats' a la Hi De High in front of an entertainment manager who appeared to be a hyperactive Haribo addict.
Further north at Unity in Brean Down we were treated to the spectacle of an obese bloke who called himself "Chunky" and who was the kiddy winks entertainer riding round the campsite on a yellow electric cart with a siren and flashing lights every five minutes.
We've been to Unity in the dim and distant past, keeping well away from the children's entertainment club, and Mr "Chunky" wasn't there then.
I'm sorry to say that if he had been and he came around our caravan disturbing us with his siren and flashing lights I'd have shown him how to magically make them disappear without the aid of a magic wand. 😳
We had the occasional shot of caravanners sitting around outside their awnings hitting the bottle, most probably to anaesthetise themselves against the attentions of the hypo entertainment bloke or 'Chunky's' flashing lights and siren.
I can see now why Clarkson set fire to his caravan

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
These sites are a far cry from what we like to do. However. Thousands love and enjoy them, particularly those with young kids. Each to their own.

John

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Missed it👍👍. That said if it puts the Covid newcomers off then that’s good news for the die hards. Plus I suspect used values may drop from the ridiculously high prices currently quoted

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The program's main focus seem to be the type of people who are supposed to be caravanners who like weird people entertaining them and not the site. OH said there is no way she would go to one of those glitzy Haven type parks. Think we will stick to adult only sites without ballrooms, etc. We don't mind a quiet site with a small pub, restaurant or take away.
I doubt very much if a manager would come to your caravan to sort out your sat dish and even climb on the roof as H&S would kick in never mind if they damaged the caravan and the caravan owners sued.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
After watching the first programme I will not be repeating the experience as it was not a true depiction of any of my holidays.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I missed the program unfortunatley, but it sound like, the end of a week we had at Sandy Balls many years ago. We had our week and had messed up the booking and we thought we were staying over the easter weekend, so we had to move on, on the Saturday just as "weekend man " with pitbull, Three manic kids and Wife, shouting at the kids. First thing out of the pick up was huge speakers and then a tent, then the beer and wine,
I love a good time, but I bet there were a lot of hacked of campers around them that weekend.
Thinking back the Easter weekend was a total washout with big staorms around the south coast that year.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Hutch, we have given up on Easters, it costs twice as much as the weeks before and after and the weather seems to pick on that weekend. having said that we did go away the weekend after Easter once and it snowed.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hutch, we have given up on Easters, it costs twice as much as the weeks before and after and the weather seems to pick on that weekend. having said that we did go away the weekend after Easter once and it snowed.
We seldom go away at bank holidays, stay at home then, as a few others have said. We used to go with another couple , to cl/cs sites but they have given up caravanning for now, so we now tend to go to medium sized private sites, within walking (1 mile) distances to a pub.

Reactions: Richard and Ann
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Bored? Get more bored watching tonight’s episode. This site has six different style of touring pitches including “large” with 10 amps! First two weeks of July is circa £42 a night. Not for me but the new caravanners with youngsters may appreciate it. Glad this programme hasn’t revealed any of my own specials🤪🤪🤪

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts