I don’t believe it!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
It is difficult to do, and I had to do it many times towing aircraft, reversing especially. One spectacular towing and reversing operation I saw in Norway was a tipper trailer that was towing a stearable tipper trailer and unloading both without unhooking.

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
Many will disagree, but I would have considered using the front steadies doing a bit at a time each time until I am able to access the jockey wheel. However I would remove anything heavy from the front area including gas bottle.
If the nose weight is correct then you would be able to lift the front up by hand, chock up or then put steadies down.

If the nose weight is well over wind rear legs down so say 6” off ground and get a couple of people get o stand in the back of the van, that will ease the front, wind front legs down sort then sort clamp etc, sorted

Reactions: Gafferbill
May 10, 2020
Visit site
Twice now I have (in six years ownership) had the jockey wheel drop while towing even though I could have sworn the thing was tightened properly. But it is a fact that it’s easy to get the shaft a little off plumb in the clamp resulting in the clamp not gripping the shaft properly. A good knock and it will loose go. The remedy…. Wriggle your shaft (😉) while tightening up the clamp to get things to seat properly.
Regards

Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
View attachment 4650

Awaiting rescue from farmer with fork lift!
I feel your pain.......we bought our first caravan early last year ( newbies then and still are), and on our very first trip out I was using a motor mover to get it off the drive which has a slope - at the bottom of the drive there's a coping stone(not very high) and I watched in horror as the caravan came down it and the frame slipped down onto the jockey wheel......cos I had tightened it up enough for it not to slip on level ground, but not enough to cope with the drop...... luckily got away without damage but I won't be doing that again!! Hope you are back up and running again soon. Steve

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts