Internal Pump Question

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I've been slowly working out all the different systems on my new (to me) 2001 Bailey Pageant Moselle.
I've got the water system sussed - external whale pump goes in the Aqua Roll, flick the switch on the control panel to "Ext on pump" and the little red "Run" LED lights and I can hear the pump run. It runs until the pressure switch cuts it out, then comes back on if I open a tap.

All of this is what I expected to happen, but my question is with the control panel:
ControlPanel.jpg

The switch is at the lower right. What is the upper position marked "Int on" and the red "Low" LED for? It seems to me that this should control an internal pump in a tank, and the LED lights when that tank gets low? But it doesn't do anything! And I can't see any kind of tank anywhere! BTW - I know everything is powered off in the photo. I do have my EHU plugged into the mains and everything was switched on when I tried this.
I'm baffled.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
OOPS!! didn't see that bit !

However, I am not 100% sure but I think the internal tank is set into the floor ,if fitted at all, so you may only see a screw cap somewhere near the water inlet area.

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, yeah I thought it would be under the floor so I crawled under the van to have a look and there's nothing. So it looks like that top side of the switch does nothing. Strange they fitted it.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As you have checked underneath and found nothing, and nothing inside the van it leaves two options.
1. A previous owner removed it, and its operating system to give more storage space.
2. It was never fitted to your van, but the control panel was used on several models and the internal pump option was never connected.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The Bailey Pageants of that era never had an onboard tank or internal pump - they were only available on the Senator range.

The electric control panel, and indeed Owners Handbook, is common across both models - cheaper through the economy of scale purchasing.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
As roger says the senator had an internal water tank, mine was set under the front chest, it was 40L and was filled via an external fuel type filler cap that locked, it also had a drain under the caravan adjacent the hot water tank drain.
The tank had a crude water level indicator for low water, and a submersible pump. Mine was a 2004 model, later models change to some valve change over lash up.

It was a great system requiring only a flick of the switch you mention to change between tanks, I miss it.
On my 2011 unicorn I have a pathetic 25L tank that requires me to get down on my knees to move a stiff changeover valve. It also only uses one pump, so it that fails nothing works, with my old van when the external pump failed I still had the internal tank to finish the holiday, over 7 years the external pump failed twice.

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hello xtrail man,
I agree with you 100% about the 25 litre 'pretend' on board tank on your Unicorn. As soon as I looked at one I realised that it was a half baked idea that- with my disability- I could never cope with.
I stuck with my 2010 senator, where the on board tank is up front on the offside, and though the filling regime is a bit more complicated than it need be, it does never less work well and we have found the on board tank to. Be quite a benefit at times. Especially on a cold wet morning when the barrel runs dry.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
I agree with all the comments about the water system on the Senators and the new Unicorns. My S2 Unicorn didn't have the "make believe" onboard tank, it only had the external Aquaroll. Having got used to the internal/external system on my old Indiana I thought this was a real backward step. I've fitted an onboard tank with electronic change over valves which makes life so much easier. In addition, I can keep 5 or so ltrs of water in it when I'm travelling for tea, washing etc.

I think Bailey (probably other manufacturers as well) got rid of the onboard tank in order to save weight. I've heard that when being tested, the onboard tank had to be full (or nearly full) so this obviously added to the MIRO.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts