It's Got Me Again!!! Panel Cracks!!!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Should have done more homework before purchasing my latest van this time last year.
Eldis Crusader Mistral.
Got home this afternoon (with new spectacles---- Dont say a word now) and looked at top rear corner of the van
Yep two cracks in top corner, checked the other side and exactly the same, not happy me.
One of the cracks both sides looks like it has started from the awning rail, either not pre drilled or screws to tight.
The 2nd ones are a puzzle as they are in the top corner on the bend in the middle of nowhere.
will take some pictures tomorrow.
As most of you will know I had front panel cracked on my last van and had a good repair done, should have kept him!!
Have ordered a set of the corner caps Eldis have kindly manufactured to cover there shoddy build workmanship.!!
Out with the drill tomorrow and some sikaflex to do temp repair until they arrive.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It must be potholes that have caused the cracks. That’s what others have all been told. ( in the makers dreams)
Sorry to hear of the faults, I watched the repairs on your Fleetwood which tuned out great.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
It must be potholes that have caused the cracks. That’s what others have all been told. ( in the makers dreams)
Sorry to hear of the faults, I watched the repairs on your Fleetwood which tuned out great.
Thanks OC. The van hasn't moved since last October, so that won't wash with me, 🙈 but dealers warranty out and van a 2016 model. So no warranty there either.
These not as bad as the Fleetwood , but still a disgrace!! but can manage this repair on my own. Hopefully see out my caravaning years.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Should have done more homework before purchasing my latest van this time last year.
Eldis Crusader Mistral.
Got home this afternoon (with new spectacles---- Dont say a word now) and looked at top rear corner of the van
Yep two cracks in top corner, checked the other side and exactly the same, not happy me.
One of the cracks both sides looks like it has started from the awning rail, either not pre drilled or screws to tight.
The 2nd ones are a puzzle as they are in the top corner on the bend in the middle of nowhere.
will take some pictures tomorrow.
As most of you will know I had front panel cracked on my last van and had a good repair done, should have kept him!!
Have ordered a set of the corner caps Eldis have kindly manufactured to cover there shoddy build workmanship.!!
Out with the drill tomorrow and some sikaflex to do temp repair until they arrive.

If the caravan is under 6 years old and bought from a dealer it is a warranty claim for the whole rear panel and not a disguise for the cracks!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If the caravan is under 6 years old and bought from a dealer it is a warranty claim for the whole rear panel and not a disguise for the cracks!

To claim you do have to show the panel was defective when you bought it. With the numbers reported on forums this should be possible, but you need the evidence to make your case.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
To claim you do have to show the panel was defective when you bought it. With the numbers reported on forums this should be possible, but you need the evidence to make your case.

In our case we did not have to prove it and we were never asked to prove it. Manufacturer stated it was due to be driven over potholes and poor roads as per the attached document.

We then claimed accident damage from caravan insurance policy and assessor did a check and stated that no ways was it road damage. This is their report. Note the underlined;

We have noted of the reported loss in that the insured has suggested a fracture occurred to the front panel as a result of possible pothole damage - At the time of our inspection dealer had already carried out a warranty repair replacing the offside awning rail and a section of wall board due to water ingress from the awning rail. This apparently had been authorised by Explorer Group under warranty. There still remains water staining to the ceiling panel and wall board which has been excluded from warranty as believed to have been caused by a fracture to the front panel. Apparently, a warranty claim has been submitted to Explorer Group for this which has been declined due to the front panel now being out of manufacturer’s warranty. From inspection of the front panel we would confirm dealer have sealed over the fracture to stop any further water ingress. From close inspection there is no sign of any ‘impact’ damage or abrasions to this area that could suggest an impact to the panel. The fracture is very small following the profile of the panel to the offside upper area. It would appear the fracture travels out from under the roof strap directly to the profiled section of the panel. The fracture I believe to be approximately 5 cm in length. Having given consideration to the suggested loss details I would confirm there appears to be no sign of physical impact damage to the road wheels or tyres or signs of body flex or stress to adjacent panels. I would conclude from inspection this does appear to be some sort of stress fracture caused possibly by a manufacturer issue. Whilst at dealer I have found two other caravans one of which shows identical damage to Mr Buckman’s caravan in that there is a small 5 cm fracture to the offside section of the upper front panel. I’ve also noted an identical caravan that has duct tape in this vicinity that would suggest an issue of similar nature. With regards to the estimates submitted - the more expensive one refers to replacement of the front panel a cheaper alternative has been submitted to repair the front panel which we feel should be perhaps considered if this claim is accepted

In addition, a report by an AWS technician again confirmed that it was definitely not due to road damage or any mishap by caravan owner.

Lastly panels are cracking on caravans that are on seasonal sites and never move. Plenty of examples available. Neither a manufacturer or a dealer can argue against the facts which is why we were successful when our front panel cracked on our 5 year old caravan.Manufacturer's view.jpg

Reactions: WayneS
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
In our case we did not have to prove it and we were never asked to prove it. Manufacturer stated it was due to be driven over potholes and poor roads as per the attached document.

We then claimed accident damage from caravan insurance policy and assessor did a check and stated that no ways was it road damage. This is their report. Note the underlined;

We have noted of the reported loss in that the insured has suggested a fracture occurred to the front panel as a result of possible pothole damage - At the time of our inspection dealer had already carried out a warranty repair replacing the offside awning rail and a section of wall board due to water ingress from the awning rail. This apparently had been authorised by Explorer Group under warranty. There still remains water staining to the ceiling panel and wall board which has been excluded from warranty as believed to have been caused by a fracture to the front panel. Apparently, a warranty claim has been submitted to Explorer Group for this which has been declined due to the front panel now being out of manufacturer’s warranty. From inspection of the front panel we would confirm dealer have sealed over the fracture to stop any further water ingress. From close inspection there is no sign of any ‘impact’ damage or abrasions to this area that could suggest an impact to the panel. The fracture is very small following the profile of the panel to the offside upper area. It would appear the fracture travels out from under the roof strap directly to the profiled section of the panel. The fracture I believe to be approximately 5 cm in length. Having given consideration to the suggested loss details I would confirm there appears to be no sign of physical impact damage to the road wheels or tyres or signs of body flex or stress to adjacent panels. I would conclude from inspection this does appear to be some sort of stress fracture caused possibly by a manufacturer issue. Whilst at dealer I have found two other caravans one of which shows identical damage to Mr Buckman’s caravan in that there is a small 5 cm fracture to the offside section of the upper front panel. I’ve also noted an identical caravan that has duct tape in this vicinity that would suggest an issue of similar nature. With regards to the estimates submitted - the more expensive one refers to replacement of the front panel a cheaper alternative has been submitted to repair the front panel which we feel should be perhaps considered if this claim is accepted

In addition, a report by an AWS technician again confirmed that it was definitely not due to road damage or any mishap by caravan owner.

Lastly panels are cracking on caravans that are on seasonal sites and never move. Plenty of examples available. Neither a manufacturer or a dealer can argue against the facts which is why we were successful when our front panel cracked on our 5 year old caravan.View attachment 4463

I find the warranty conditions quite unacceptable. My Sprite was just coming up to five years when rear abs panel cracks appeared allowing water ingress. Swift accepted a warranty repair and the whole panel was replaced.This was a 2012 caravan with cracks appearing in 2017. I guess it might have been the five year water ingress warranty that may have over ridden a one year plastic warranty. But I had not noticed one year plastic panel warranty in the T&Cs, but it may have been there.

Reactions: Buckman
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
So did a temporary repair yesterday, holes drilled and now filled, awaiting the caps which should be here on Thursday.

20230326_111954.jpg

20230326_111956.jpg20230326_111244.jpg

Also did a damp check internally and happy to report around 15%, full service booked for mid April so hopefully that will confirm the reading's. The holes are 2mm but do look bigger in the photo's.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
You’re not alone Kev. I have four tiny cracks , 2 each side on the rear panel. Drilled a 2 mm hole as a crack stop 4 years ago. Filled the tiny cracks with Capt Tolleys sealant.All stable today so no worries

Reactions: Gagakev
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
You’re not alone Kev. I have four tiny cracks , 2 each side on the rear panel. Drilled a 2 mm hole as a crack stop 4 years ago. Filled the tiny cracks with Capt Tolleys sealant.All stable today so no worries
DD, is captains Tolleys clear or coloured, might see if I can get some and replace the temp repair I have done.

Foot Note: Its transparent, just ordered a bottle , thanks DD

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
See this Kev.
It is clear but like any substance there will be a trace. I’ve used it with great success on the Wyoming and the shower tray at home. I squeeze more into the crack areas each year as a belts and braces job.

Reactions: Gagakev
Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
This abs panel situation is beyond a joke. The manufacturers know perfectly well its an issue and do nothing. Our (uncracked) van will be on the market later this year and we will never buy another with a structural abs panel. (Which probably means a Bailey).

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
This abs panel situation is beyond a joke. The manufacturers know perfectly well its an issue and do nothing. Our (uncracked) van will be on the market later this year and we will never buy another with a structural abs panel. (Which probably means a Bailey).

Swift panels are GRP, they dropped thermo-formed ABS several years ago.

Reactions: Mandarin
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
So did a temporary repair yesterday, holes drilled and now filled, awaiting the caps which should be here on Thursday.

View attachment 4467

View attachment 4468View attachment 4469

Also did a damp check internally and happy to report around 15%, full service booked for mid April so hopefully that will confirm the reading's. The holes are 2mm but do look bigger in the photo's.
Hi Kev looking at the pictures that looks awful i hope you can put it right and with the caps it looks a great job good luck

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Not sure why you are doing all the hard work if the caravan was bought this time last year so is still under warranty?

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Not sure why you are doing all the hard work if the caravan was bought this time last year so is still under warranty?

Eldis warranty out as its a 2016 model

dealer only gave 6 months warranty, tried for 12 months but wouldn't budge!

Any way last dealer bodge repair on Fleetwood was diabolical did it myself 18 months later as it broke down again. This way I know what I'm getting.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Eldis warranty out as its a 2016 model

dealer only gave 6 months warranty, tried for 12 months but wouldn't budge!

Any way last dealer bodge repair on Fleetwood was diabolical did it myself 18 months later as it broke down again. This way I know what I'm getting.
However you are still covered by CRA 2016 which over rides any warranty and it is still the responsibility of the dealer to resolve the issue. However it was your choice so good luck and enjoy the caravan once it is fixed. :D

Not sure where you are located, but Premier Towing in Tipton come highly recommended for repairing these sort of issues at a reasonable price and also offer a warranty .(y):laughing:

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
From what I gather from a Facebook Elddis owners forum ( who are mostly not happy bunnies), whilst there is a 6 year water ingress warranty from new, this does not cover cracks in the panels!! Know this doesn’t apply to Kevs situation, but even if he had bought it new, the warranty issue would apply.
I used to be a fan of Elddis, having had a good van, but my last experience has really put me off. Mind you, we have also had a leaky Bailey.
Mel

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Dusty we had a problem with our van at the right corner it had been sprayed but when my caravan engineer was rubbing he found something else a bodge job and he did all the work it came with a guarantee when it was completed. so we were very happy with the results.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
From what I gather from a Facebook Elddis owners forum ( who are mostly not happy bunnies), whilst there is a 6 year water ingress warranty from new, this does not cover cracks in the panels!! Know this doesn’t apply to Kevs situation, but even if he had bought it new, the warranty issue would apply.
I used to be a fan of Elddis, having had a good van, but my last experience has really put me off. Mind you, we have also had a leaky Bailey.
Mel
It is actually a 10 year warranty, but only applies to permanently sealed joints. After the initial wear a crack in the panel is covered by CRA 2015 whether or not the caravan was purchased new or second hand.

Reactions: Mel
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Mel
It’s interesting as what do Eldiss do if cracks in a panel lead to water ingress. That’s what happened in 2017 in my Sprite and Swift authorised a new rear panel.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
It’s interesting as what do Eldiss do if cracks in a panel lead to water ingress. That’s what happened in 2017 in my Sprite and Swift authorised a new rear panel.
Isn’t there an ongoing case on here with another leaking Elddis? Elddis say the cracks were caused by pot holes so declined the claim! With that in mind I’d suggest Kev have a word with his Insurers if he wishes .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There seems to be a plethora of posts wrt Eldiss problems. There’s one where a side panel is parting company. My Sprite was a 2012 model which had a warranty repair in 2017 to replace a cracked rear panel that was allowing water ingress. What I don’t know is since ABS cracks became more of a problem have all makes changed the T&Cs of the warranties. Any info from another make(s) with a more recent build would be of interest as the industry tend to stay in lock step.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts