New car - electrics

May 27, 2014
Visit site
We have recently purchased a 2016 vw golf which is still under warranty - our caravan is a 1999 abbey iona vogue with 12n/12s electric sockets - I only require the caravan lights to function - I'm not too fussed about charging the leisure battery or powering the fridge on the go so basically the 12s socket is superfluous - my local garage suggesed fitting a universal 7 pin single electrics plus a 7 way bypass relay - my enquiry is - is this acceptable and would such a fitment invalidate the car manufacturers warranty - the genuine vw golf mk7 tow bar electrics 13 pin fitting kit is £159.95 from eBay and I don't think I require that - or am I mistaken

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Unless you are going to run the car into the ground, it would better to have a standard towing electrics system fitted. When it comes to resale anything at all non standard ca affect resale value. Also the car will already be prepared to have a standard wiring loom fitted which will be a relatively quick job to connect, with garage prices these days the extra time it will take to have a non standard kit fitted will soon out weigh the additional cost of the standard kit.

In terms of warranty, if the non standard fitting requires any wires to cut or joined it may well upset the cars electrical systems like the bulb failure detection systems. Apart from the inconvenience that would cause it would be likely to affect your cars warranty.

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks prof - I take that the fitment of a genuine vw 13 pin wiring kit shall enable charging of the leisure battery and 12 volt cooling of the fridge on the go - and all I would require is a seven pin socket to thirteen pin plug adapter

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Personally i would always go for the genuine electrics. They are made for your car with the correct connections etc well worth it than some generic one.

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Okay folks - will have to reconsider this - I'm a miserable jock who doesn't like parting with cash - however on reflection I may have to commit a few annas for the OEM equipment

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Dodger524 said:
The other aspect is that the cars computer systems may need reprograming to recognise when the caravan is connected.
It is usually things anti trailer sway and parking sensors that need coding to work, i have always known the lights to work straight away which is the main thing.
A good towbar fitter will have the equipment anyway to recode if necessary?

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I've always used a mobile fitter for a Witter bar and 'dedicated electrics'. As already on the forum any professional fitter should have the kit to re-programme the electrics if needed. (On my Ford none was needed). I have 13 pin electrics on the van and car but use an adapter for my trailer (to take stuff to the tip!) and bike carrier electrics. It might also be worth considering an Alko size ball so if you resell the car or change the caravan you are ready to go! I find the positive lock-fit of the 13 pin reassuring over the historic 12N/12S arrangement. Prices for the fitting and kit will vary widely, if you wanted Witter mobile fitters you can price up and book an appointment on-line, which might at least be a starting point for you in comparison with the VW offer..

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Audiorob thanks for your input - I sourced a westfalia fixed swan neck bracket from a vw garage - at £100 brand new I reckon this was a good price - as previously mentioned I can get genuine vw dedicated electrics for £159.95 - add in approximately £100 for fitment and the total outlay is under £400

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
As was suggested earlier on this topic there is a very good chance that in the back of your vehicle you will find the loom and plug socket for you to connect up .only one thing I would like to point out then we Changed caravan and tow vehicle which is an X5 the loom was there with plug but when this vehicle was manufactured they never put a live to the plug for the fridge. You will find that keeping the fridge cool helpful.
Sir Roger

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I picked up our Santa Fe, New, Hyundai fitted electrics, they did not have an earth for the internal electrics, or the alko stab. had to fit it myself. Went back to Hyundai and complained, response was we only fit the tow bar and loom, ( Witter, fixed type. total rubbish for SantaFe 2014. ), do npt trust Dealers. They are car suppliers not caravan related.

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Dodger524 said:
The other aspect is that the cars computer systems may need reprograming to recognise when the caravan is connected.
My fitter said he can "code" the vehicle for an extra £50 - I'm not too sure what the benefit of this shall be - I really only require the lights to function I.e seven pin electrics - is coding really necessary

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Coding may do the following:

1. Activate the bulb failure warning for the trailer lights
2. Lets the management system know there is a trailer attached.
3. Disables the rear fog lights on the car when trailer attached such that you're not blinded in the rear view mirrors with reflection from trailer.

Can't think of anything else at the moment. :(

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
h
ttp://support.mycarly.com/knowledge-base/what-can-you-do-with-carly-for-bmw-the-app-fro-carly/quote="WoodlandsCamper" post=429566]Coding may do the following:

1. Activate the bulb failure warning for the trailer lights
2. Lets the management system know there is a trailer attached.
3. Disables the rear fog lights on the car when trailer attached such that you're not blinded in the rear view mirrors with reflection from trailer.
Apologies poor signal has jumbled the mage a bit
Can't think of anything else at the moment. :([/quote]

What Dinosaurs we are on this forum me included.
My son tells me he had an App on his previous car where he could change things on the ECU from his phone.

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
thosoneill said:
Dodger524 said:
My fitter said he can "code" the vehicle for an extra £50 - I'm not too sure what the benefit of this shall be - I really only require the lights to function I.e seven pin electrics - is coding really necessary

Given your car is a 2016 model, is under warranty and for the sake of £50 to code is a no brainer. Can you pay for whatever is voided under the warranty for not spending £50?? Depending what systems the car has will be sure to work and not invalidate the warranty. You may even find that fancy trailer reversing function by using the mirror control works!! Do you have intelligent lights? Blind spot recognition? Radar cruise control? Emergency braking etc

Granted my car is considerably more complicated, but when looking to get an aftermarket tow bar fitted, lots of fitters would do the mechanical bit, but no one would touch the electronics. For me it was a no brainer, don't code gearbox overheats £12k.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There are certain things that by law must be done, which go beyond just the rear running lights. I cannot tell you exactly what they are but they include things like having a telltale indicator on the dash that a trailer is connected, the cancellation if the high intensity rear fog lights on the tow vehicle. In modern cars most of this is pre programmed into the cars CANBUS system, but it will only work provided the correct loom is fitted and or the the ECU may have to be reprogrammed accordingly.

Trying to jury rig just lights may miss some important safety features, or legal requirements. You cant just double up the bulbs on a lighting circuit, becasue the cars ECu will have bulb failure systems which are likely to be destabilised by doubling the load. and you may well invalidate any warranty you have.The proper loom and fitting will already cater for these issues and maintain the car's warranty.

Whilst you may not want the 7S socket functionality (OK so don't plug your caravan into it) what about the poor guy who buys your car secondhand to find he has got replace all the towing wiring?

The standard fit towing wiring, will probably work out about the same cost as the special incomplete wiring you are planning. Go save yourself problems by getting the whole job done quickly by using the proper kit.. What happens when you change your caravan to a more modern one?

As someone else has said; really its a no brainer, and I cant imagine you will really be making any really significant saving if any at all at the end of the job.

I think you are missguided to consider an incomplete job.

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks again folks for your valuable input - we are visiting Lancashire on Friday and I've booked the car into p d jones in old trafford to have the bracket fitted and the dedicated electrics installed and guess wot - I've opted for a 13 pin system

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
My son tells me he had an App on his previous car where he could change things on the ECU from his phone.[/quote]

To get that to work he must have had an OBD adapter fitted, this is a device that connects to your diagnostic port. This is not standard .

May 27, 2014
Visit site
IMG_0349.png

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
thosoneill said:
Thanks again folks for your valuable input - we are visiting Lancashire on Friday and I've booked the car into p d jones in old trafford to have the bracket fitted and the dedicated electrics installed and guess wot - I've opted for a 13 pin system

I think that is a wise decision.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes agree with the Prof there.
Just checked up Prof the Ec reg48 states that the tow vehcile has to show when a trailer light out either by doulbe flash or constant light. I thought you meant when the trailer/ caravan was attached, as I had not seen that before.
I can tell when I have the van on the back, as I can see it, but if you have a low trailer then thats a different matter.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Yes agree with the Prof there.
Just checked up Prof the Ec reg48 states that the tow vehcile has to show when a trailer light out either by doulbe flash or constant light. I thought you meant when the trailer/ caravan was attached, as I had not seen that before.
I can tell when I have the van on the back, as I can see it, but if you have a low trailer then thats a different matter.
I have a factory fitted towbar and i have no light or audible sound to say i have a trailer fitted, if a trailer bulb fails i do get a warning message.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I may be wrong about the trailer warning in the form you have interpreted it. I have , I have a repeater light when teh trailers indicator lights operate, but not when the trailer is disconnected.

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Kwik - update - had the bracket and electrics fitted by p f jones of manchester - £350 which included the dedicated electrics and coding to the car - add £100 for the westfalia towbar which I purchased new from eBay - total £450 - and yes I can see a new diode has been fitted inside the car - I'm assuming that's the visible warning you are discussing - by the way a nice clean fit - I'm a happy bunny

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts