Not the usual battery issues

Jun 26, 2022
Visit site
Having recently bought a new car battery from RAC shop on 26 /Dec23 , I was fairly sure I would receive a genuine item without any hassle. Unfortunately my battery was handled roughly and I received a broken item. After contacting RAC I was told that it was the problem of their suppliers and that they would pass over my details to their suppliers. I informed the chap that my contract exists with them and no one else. Despite promises to get back to me they have done nothing. The broken battery is leaking fumes so I have moved it out of the house . My attempts to get them to replace the battery, adding pictures of the condition in which it arrived showing item still in wrapping and box, have been met with silence. I now realise they know my home number and mobile so do not answer. I have given them two weeks to remedy so now I will ask the bank to step in with a chargeback. Unfortunately I will not be using RAC for anything in the future, and would advise anyone thinking of buying from RAC shop not to as they take no responsibility for the sale or the trouble they will put you to when things go wrong. However the chap on the end of the phone did say he was sorry.

Last edited:
Reactions: otherclive
May 15, 2023
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with the RAC using their subcontractor to resolve the issue, as they have outsourced the supply it is the only remedy other than giving you a refund. What they can't do is duck any contractual obligations, as you rightly state your contract is with them.

You don't indicate any response timescales in this matter? your 2 weeks is, IMHO very generous! I think in your shoes if it was not resolved within a few days I would be demanding a refund .

Jun 26, 2022
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with the RAC using their subcontractor to resolve the issue, as they have outsourced the supply it is the only remedy other than giving you a refund. What they can't do is duck any contractual obligations, as you rightly state your contract is with them.

You don't indicate any response timescales in this matter? your 2 weeks is, IMHO very generous! I think in your shoes if it was not resolved within a few days I would be demanding a refund .
The annoying part is the way in which RAC handle complaints, and being ghosted by this disorganisation.
After today I will be asking the bank to get my £259.85 back

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Having recently bought a new car battery from RAC shop on 26 /Dec23 , I was fairly sure I would receive a genuine item without any hassle. Unfortunately my battery was handled roughly and I received a broken item. After contacting RAC I was told that it was the problem of their suppliers and that they would pass over my details to their suppliers. I informed the chap that my contract exists with them and no one else. Despite promises to get back to me they have done nothing. The broken battery is leaking fumes so I have moved it out of the house . My attempts to get them to replace the battery, adding pictures of the condition in which it arrived showing item still in wrapping and box, have been met with silence. I now realise they know my home number and mobile so do not answer. I have given them two weeks to remedy so now I will ask the bank to step in with a chargeback. Unfortunately I will not be using RAC for anything in the future, and would advise anyone thinking of buying from RAC shop not to as they take no responsibility for the sale or the trouble they will put you to when things go wrong. However the chap on the end of the phone did say he was sorry.
I might be reading your post wrongly but it appears contradictory. Please forgive me if I am wrong.

It appears that thay do not get back to you, but then you are not answering their calls.

Hope you get it sorted. Good customer service is important.

John

Jun 26, 2022
Visit site
I might be reading your post wrongly but it appears contradictory. Please forgive me if I am wrong.

It appears that thay do not get back to you, but then you are not answering their calls.

Hope you get it sorted. Good customer service is important.

John
English is my first language but I have been known to write complete gibberish before now! I mean that they recognise my number on the numerous occasions when I have called them. If I call from my home or work number they either never answer, or take 30 minutes plus to take me off hold. If I call from another number it is must faster to get through. Despite repeatedly saying they will call me or email me they have done neither.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sadly the response you describe fron RAC is not untypical, it seems that it is when something goes wrong that firms do not want to be held to their responsibilities, currently I have an unresolved problem with a large mobile phone company that has been going on since 28 September 2023, I have been ignored, even signed for letters to CEO have been ignored, I have involved the Ombudsman who has accepted my complaint, and the only response they have from the company, is the mobile phone company is challenging whether it is right for the ombudsman to be involved, rather than fix the problem. All is not lost however as this morning I had a phone call from a previous phone provider of landline to our business, trying to get us to 'give them another chance' offering much cheaper deals than we are currently paying and much cheaper deals than they originally charged, the reason we left them was their terrible customer service after we were out of contract, so I enjoyed telling them I had no intention of returning to them even if they offered me free phone service for ever, the tele sales guy seemed most suprised that anyone would make a decision based on previous experience. Going back to RAC, I hope you can get it sorted to your satisfaction and then never spend a penny with them in future.It is the only way 'ordinary' people can fight back against such poor service.

Reactions: Len W
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The annoying part is the way in which RAC handle complaints, and being ghosted by this disorganisation.
After today I will be asking the bank to get my £259.85 back
When i was looking for a new car AGM battery last year I found RAC to be more expensive than most other suppliers. I eventually bought from Halfords paying slightly more than other suppliers, but about £60 cheaper than RAC.

On a car forum there is a thread about the RAC keeping the OP's wife and child waiting by the side of the road for nearly 6 hours!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
When i was looking for a new car AGM battery last year I found RAC to be more expensive than most other suppliers. I eventually bought from Halfords paying slightly more than other suppliers, but about £60 cheaper than RAC.

On a car forum there is a thread about the RAC keeping the OP's wife and child waiting by the side of the road for nearly 6 hours!
The RAC website gave an attractive figure to replace the AGM battery in my Touareg, including their fitting charge for a non-member - but when I tried to book it, their system responded that they can't fit batteries to Touaregs. Judging by the OP's experience, I got lucky!

Reactions: Buckman

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts