Overnigh stop of without booking - calais to vendee

Jan 13, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

first trip abroad with the van and am booked in to vendee. Have lunchtime dover/calais ferry booked but if I leave home early I will try and sneak on to earlier one.

Are there any places I can just turn up at when I've driven far enough? Are the roadside places as dodgy as I have heard about?

Thanks

Jon

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Don't stop at unmanned aires, most of the 24 hour services that are manned are fine. Often they have designated caravan areas. In the main reports you'll have heard are chinese whispers, I've stopped solo many times and it's fine, just make sure you take care that you follow usual security measures.

The whispered stories always have the caravans entered without waking anybody! Keys,Passports,Money and Credit always easily within reach of he cunning thieves. Funny don't you think.

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Jon

My wife and I have been stopping overnight at autoroute aires in France and more recently Belgium, Switzerland and Italy every summer for the past 10 years or so. French aires vary widely from picnic areas with toilets right through to fully featured sites similar to UK Motorway services. They are much more frequent than UK services so if we don't like the look of one it is usually only about 10 miles to the next one.

We use our commonsense and only stop where there are other 'vanners already stopped in a good numbers and with good lighting, etc. We have a cheap Lidl door alarm lock set which goes off if the door is opened whilst we are sleeping. We keep our valuables and documents well hidden about our persons, in bed!!!, and in other places around the 'van. I am a generally VERY cautious person and choose my aires carefully. Especially on the French autoroutes aires are very frequent and so if we don't like the look of one aire we just move on to another.

Why do we do this?? The big advantage of staying at aires is that on long journeys we can drive until we are beginning to feel tired and then just pull over, drop the 'van legs, eat and go to bed. No need for unhitching and hitching and we can be away bright and early in the morning. We have sometimes kept going until 9.00pm and been away in the morning a 7.00am well refreshed. It is unnecessary to bother looking for a campsite or worry about reaching a site by a certain time. We do not have to leave the autoroute. The 'van remains hooked-up so no messing around setting up when we are tired. Just legs down in the evening and legs up in the morning. We can maximise our time travelling to our final destination. Oh and of course it is free, even on the toll-free autoroutes!! unlike rip-off UK motorway services.

On the practical side wehave the caravan set up to stop in this way. The bed is made up and we keep a little water in the onboard tank for drinking and a little water in the toilet flush tank so that we can use these facilities. We, also, use the fridge and cooker on gas whilst stopped.

I'm sure some people have been robbed at overnighting at aires and many people would call us foolish but we and many others have been doing this for years. We have met many other 'vanners, from all over Europe, overnighting on aires and had some interesting chats

We do sometimes stop at campsites near the motorways too. This is a bit more feasible as we have recently bought a sat nav which would help us to find stop-over campsites. We have POIs for Continental sites on the Sat Nav and there are, also, many site guides, eg, the Caravan Club's "Caravan Europe" which detail sites near autoroutes.

Anyway this is how we see things. I hope this is some help. However you decide to break your journey I'm sure you'll have a super time. We love Continental caravanning and go every summer.

Best wishes.

Tim

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
As you are going over quite early it may be better to aim for a site mid-late afternoon just off the main routes for the night. If you come back with your proposed route people can make some suggestions. For me, we would probably go on the Autoroutes and travel past Dieppe / le Harve / Caen. There is a site near le Harve just after you go over the Pont de Normandie - Le Catiniere - only a few minutes off the road but it has a shop etc for necessaries. Providing you are not in high season you should not need to book.

May 9, 2008
Visit site
Hi Jon,

Last year was my first trip with a caravan into France, I took Sadies advice and stopped in a 24 hour service station, parked in between two other vans in the lorry section and didnt feel concerned at any point.

Kids and I thought it was great fun, and part of the adventure, the wife couldnt get over the smell of pee, just made sure everything was locked up as you would do, no concerns. I wouldnt want to sleep at one of the unmanned ones though.

When we woke up in the morning there were people aleeping in cars everywhere so we felt lucky at least we had a bed, it seemed everyone was going on their hols.

Anthony

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jon

Not to be a killjoy here. But if your setting off earlier to catch an earlier ferry, and the crossing takes an hour and half plus one hour forward. Is it wise on your first towing in France to then do approxiamately 400 miles in France to your campsite?

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Perhaps even I would agree with smiley on this one. You're in plenty of time to find an overnight campsite - you'll have a whole afternoon of driving, and then be able to find a municipal site (France has one in almost every town and village). We often stay overnight on Aires but only because we arrive in France late at night and campsites aren't open. If you do about four hours of driving, then an overnight stop on a campsite, you'll still be in the Vendee after only another half day or so or driving.

Dec 13, 2007
Visit site
Hello Jon

You dont say when you are going and by what route, if you are going around paris, you could try the site Jablines international (its in the camping cheques book) about 3 hours from calais or alternatively you could stay on an aire but ensure that it is has full motorway services, dont stop overnight on non serviced motorway stops.

Hope this helps

Aug 30, 2006
Visit site
Hello Jon.

If you decide to stop on a campsite as opposed to an Aire, take a look at this website which lists campsites close to motorways.

http://users.telenet.be/leo.huybrechts/00frame.htm
With regard to the need to book, the answer would be "Yes".

In late July and August all sites are very busy and if your holiday is earlier than that, why risk the hassle and uncertainty of not having a relaxed destination for the first night of the holiday.?

Also, the chances of getting on an earlier ferry than the one booked are much less than they used to be because so many people try to do it.

Regards,

Olly.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Jon

You dont say when you are going and by what route, if you are going around paris, you could try the site Jablines international (its in the camping cheques book) about 3 hours from calais or alternatively you could stay on an aire but ensure that it is has full motorway services, dont stop overnight on non serviced motorway stops.

Hope this helps
Going to Paris to get to the Vendee is a bit of a long way round!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts