Queue dazzlers

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi Lutz, It's a 2005 enjoy, so a older model, scouring through he manual this morning seeking all references to the headlights it seems xenon headlights were a optional extra, discontinued after 2006, with the introduction of the design spec there is several items in the book that refer to washers and self leveling but none for my particular car, so you may be right and the bulbs were changed by a previous owner, having said that the fuses and relays are there as they should be, and the bulbs listed for it at halfords are xenon so it is a bit of a mystery, it has also gone through two MOT's since I bought it with no mention of it having the wrong lights fitted,

May 12, 2011
Visit site
My previous car, Citroen C5 with Xenon headlamps had washers and self levelling but there was no mention of SL in the handbook. I suppose they could see there was some marketing advantage in having washing so listed it as a feature, but the vast majority probably don't care about SL, I only found out about it when querying how to adjust them for driving abroad when I was informed it was a legal requirement to self level for all xenon headlamps.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
One reason why Roger may think bikes have full beam on is that their lights are higher off the road and align more closely with a car drivers eye height and the bikes suspension moves more than a cars due to road undulations and braking/acceleration.
I disagree.
I drive a 4x4 so my eyeline is way above bike lights.
Being of a very technical nature, I fully understand all vehicles suspension movements due to acceleration, deceleration and road undulations and the effect that has on a dipped headlight beam, particularly the modern type with Z-beam or V-beam cutoff on the dipped lens/reflector.
The reason I can tell the difference is that some bikes using dipped beam when approaching, despite road and power variations while others do dazzle continuously regardless of road and power variations - often this is noticeable that one of the twin lights is dazzling while the other isn't - I take this to be using both dip and main at the same time - in some cases only one of the two is lit, maybe the dip bulb has blown?

I'm not actually suggesting that the proportion of inconsiderate bikers is any different to the proportion of inconsiderate users of any other vehicle class - but when it comes to inconsiderate use of main beam it's more noticeable in daylight when cars don't use main/dip.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Lutz said:
I'm not 100% certain about automatic beam levelling, but I'm pretty sure that was included, too.
The UK has always adopted the same EU regulations as the rest of Europe as far as Xenon/HID lights are concerned - it's mandatory that headlight washers and levelling is fitted - the levelling can be self-levelling for the whole car or just levellers built into the headlight units.
What may be different is that until recently the UK MoT test didn't check for washers/levelling so there was effectively no policing of aftermarket fitment of Xenon/HID lights. Of course all manufacturers complied with the regulations where the Xenon/HIDs were factory-fitted, whether as standard specification or optional extras.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
It is unlikely that Colin's car was retrofitted with xenon headlights because it's not a simple matter of swapping bulbs. Xenon headlights require a 300 volt inverter to trigger them on, although, once ignited, the 12 volt supply is adequate to keep them going.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
"The reason I can tell the difference is that some bikes using dipped beam when approaching, despite road and power variations while others do dazzle continuously regardless of road and power variations - often this is noticeable that one of the twin lights is dazzling while the other isn't - I take this to be using both dip and main at the same time - in some cases only one of the two is lit, maybe the dip bulb has blown?"

my son's Fazer 1000 only has one of its lights lit when on dip so the other reflector for main beam is unlit, but it could be confused with a blown bulb.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts