Tow Bar Usable?

Jul 31, 2020
Visit site
My Renault Scenic has a tow bar fitted. I haven’t towed before and am considering purchasing a 2 berth caravan.. Have had experience with trailer tent some years ago. Is there any way I can check to see if the two bar is usable or it may be a new one is required but more expense! thanks

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Detachable's only tested if fitted at the time of the test. Only 13 pin electrics tested.

Dont know what the test involves though.

John

Reactions: DaveA1
Jul 31, 2020
Visit site
I have had the car a couple of years so I don’t even know whether it is a 13 pin - will have to check - not detachable.

I am thinking about taking up towing a caravan but it feels like there is so much to learn so first thing to see if tow ball is working - I would have to tow as husband unable to drive anymore. Any advice greatly appreciated. Not even got a caravan yet 🙂

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
One of the first things is to find out what your cars towing specification is. It will be in your V5 for “ braked trailer”. What type of Scenic is it, diesel, petrol, manual/ auto, year etc. Knowing that we should be able to give more assistance.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Good for you. The clubs run towing training that you should use. All that follows, the training will make as clear as possible.. Then browse through this forum. Then First find out about your motor. Its kerb weight, it's towing limits ect. beginners are advised to tow at 85% of the kerb weight unless the manufacturer has put a lower towing limit. You could tow to 100% with experience. This will give you an idea of the size of van you can tow. you will also need to know the tow bar nose weight.

Reactions: Missiemoo
Jul 31, 2020
Visit site
One of the first things is to find out what your cars towing specification is. It will be in your V5 for “ braked trailer”. What type of Scenic is it, diesel, petrol, manual/ auto, year etc. Knowing that we should be able to give more assistance.
It’s a Diesel, manual 2010 Renault Grand Scenic Dyn DC1 106. - braked 1300 thank you

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
If it is a swan neck towbar/ball then you should be able to tow a van with a stabiliser hitch, if it is flange (the towball bolted to the bar itself, then you need to check that it is also compatible otherwise replace with an 'Alko' head to be OK with stabilser hitch on the van. 13 pin is the current type of socket, for trailer towing there might be just a 12N (Road lights etc) or if wired for an older caravan a 12N (Black) and a 12S (grey that is for auxiliary functions like charging the battery and running the fridge when in transit. If the ball has not been used for a while it will need some cleaning with fine grade wet/dry paper to remove rust and muck!
Incidentally following Covid and overseas restrictions you will find that used or new vans are in short supply, but as has been said, check the kerbweight of the car, and aim for about 85% of the weight (or 1300 whichever is lower) for the caravan. If you look at the list in the back of the magazine then MIRO and MTPLM are quoted, but consider the latter figure in your comparison. If you browse online you will find most dealerships list this figure too for vans they have for sale.
Ask any questions you have on the Forum - you will always receive prompt answers!
Happy hunting!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
What should be checked and what is checked may be two different things, so no guarantee it was actually checked. If it is a fixed tow ball it might be worthwhile getting it replaced just to be sure. If you do specify one compatible with the ALKO hitch stabilisers as they are slightly longer than standard ones.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
What should be checked and what is checked may be two different things, so no guarantee it was actually checked. If it is a fixed tow ball it might be worthwhile getting it replaced just to be sure. If you do specify one compatible with the ALKO hitch stabilisers as they are slightly longer than standard ones.

Spot on, but just to clarify it is the swan neck that is longer so that the hitch is away from the rear bumper of the car.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I don’t think it is the MoT testers responsibility to check if the towball is compatible with an Alko stabiliser hitch. After all the towbar might only be used for towing a lightweight trailer that wouldn’t have a Alko stabiliser fitted.

Jul 31, 2020
Visit site

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts